Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Glow plugs

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 11:18 AM
jaav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glow plugs

Well Ive come to the conclusion that the OS 8 and traxas hot plugs dont like an 61 with 20% nitro spinning a APC10x9 . Oh and a pipe as well...Fun untill they burn out... : ) can only get hot plugs in part of the world as most only support RC cars...
my 1st pipe runs. the old ASP dosn't know what hit it......I like this sort of speed....
Old 06-13-2010, 11:51 AM
Motorboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Glow plugs

Replace with a colder glowplug if the engine are tuned for high perfomance or hot plug will burst out each time.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:03 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I blew out several medium range glow plugs in an early ASP 91 on 15 % fuel, until I read here that it was high compression engine and liked FAI fuel. And that it does. I mixed Klotz Techiplate with speed shop methanol and it runs great, doesn't blow plugs, run erraticzlly, or get hot and detonate. Fuel is way less expensive.

Sincerely,

Richard
Old 06-13-2010, 12:05 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

If you cant get cooler plugs run less nitro or add head shims/gadgets. You may even go faster, as the engine may be fighting it's self now. Too short of a header or too small a pipe chamber can blow plugs too.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:57 PM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
You would get by much better if you run 5% nitro and a Rossi 5 or 6 plug!
Old 06-13-2010, 05:44 PM
jaav

The plane was going to run on the OEM muffler for its maiden, as I didnt have the correct plugs, but things got out of hand and the pipe got bolted instead...I must agree the its a high compression engine so a head shim will be in order. It was for fun...for the hard run times and the amount of dirt she has chewed up its a wounder it runs so well..14500 rpm on the ground...I have a vid of both runs, will post when its loaded.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:11 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Jaav

Contact a Perth W.A. based hobby dealer and order a couple of Taipan "purple" competition plugs, they will suit your application and should go the distance.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:59 PM
downunder

[link=http://www.lionelectronics.com/GlowPlug.htm]here's[/link] the range of Taipan plugs and [link=http://www.lionelectronics.com/Retailers.htm]here's[/link] a list of their retailers. I've been using the Taipan red plugs for some time now with zero nitro fuel. As mentioned, the purple plug should be right for your engine.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:57 PM
jaav

Thanks guys I was goimg to order them from Ace...Will try the Tiapan

Vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMTn9EE2axM
Old 06-20-2010, 10:07 AM
jaav

well I fitted a new Taipan yesterday and spat one out with the engine at high idle then pinched the fuel line to shut down. then blew 2 more during flight and it was'nt on song yet, was too rich..Time to llower the compression ratio or drop the fuel %.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:10 PM
downunder

If you blew a plug at high idle then I'd suspect it's got nothing to do with the fuel or compression. Usually that would mean there's something rubbing inside the engine contaminating the plug. One thing I'd suggest though is to use an air filter on the carb because it may be sucking in some sand. Bruline filters are about $5. Dropping the nitro is probably a good idea though because the ASP is a fairly high compression and when the pipe comes on it then has a really high compression .