maximum castor content

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 03:30 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: maximum castor content

ORIGINAL: CloudSkipper

So maybe I'll keep using my current 60:40 blend. Plane gets more slimy, but I like what's good for the engine. Thanks for all the inputs.

ORIGINAL: blw
100% castor and no nitro is FAI fuel.

Castor oil will provide benefits to any glow engine. It should be flushed out if the engine is going to sit for a length of time. Otherwise, no problems using it.
By ''flushed out'' I suppose you mean an alcohol bath? I'm wondering if something less tedious like just running a tank or two of 100% synthetic fuel through it in the fall (at slightly richer setting) would be good enough???

The worst that will happen when castor oil is left in an engine for a long period of time is that it will gum up. No harm done, if one patiently removes the gummed castor oil that has been protecting the parts from oxidation. If it hasn't been in the engine for years, simply priming the engine well with fuel before starting will often clear the gummed castor oil after the engine has started. Keep the throttle down near idle and let the gummed up castor quickly wear away and clear the engine.

For long term storage, automatic transmission fluid is one of the best storing fluids in my book, but the engine has to be soaked in it.

Ed Cregger