RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/10723075-ums-evolution-radial-care-operation.html)

TANGLE 07-25-2012 08:42 AM

RE: UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation

Hi Tom
That was quick, your words of encouragement have made me more impatient.! Here's a video of my Jungmeister with the Fuji
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXnXYSo0s6U (sorry about the music) Once it is sorted with the 777 I intend to re cover it as per the full size during this winter. http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/fpbri,hirth/Interesting
Cheers Tim

Maxam 07-25-2012 09:29 AM

Tim Advantagehobby.com has them!

TANGLE 07-25-2012 10:16 AM

Tom
It's already paid for,It's very expensive buying from the US, UK customs and postal "administration fees" will add at least 30%.I've had many orders from Hobbyking and never been caught (touch wood),but from the US they get me every time.No I'll just have to wait.
Cheers Tim

slskn 07-25-2012 03:59 PM

Ok guys, I have been having problems with my on board glo system, turns out they were bad soldering joints on the wiring, now problem fixed, have new connectors and better soldering joints, nuff said on that, and now am puzzled as to why when I have full throttle with glo turned off 5,600 to 5,700 RPM, (again 24x12x2 blade) but when turning on the glo the RPM`s drop to 5,400 and then turn the glo back off at full throttle, Rpm`s go back up?? not sure why but the opposite is true when at idle 1,700 or so with glo off but when turning the glo back on Rpm`s go up to 2,000 or so can`t figure that one out? and problem #2 overheating, when the maiden flight happened temp was around 68 to 70 degrees ran great, now with the heat wave we have been getting around 90+ degrees Rpm`s dropping engine running hot. guys at the local field are saying not enough air exiting out the cowl so I open up the cowl flaps, still not enough opening which is about 1/2 ins. or less opening around the whole cowl, still running hot, so I opened up the bottom of the cowl 4 ins. wide and 2 1/2 to 3 inches long, have not had the chance to try it yet!, but I know they say heat does not bother it too much but not sure if it is the air flow through the cowling or ???, hope to get some time on it this weekend, will let you how it goes thanks-Steve

Maxam 07-25-2012 04:49 PM

Steve, Having the glow on at full throttle you are advancing the "spark" timing and that will reduce power and overheat the engine. In otherwords the fuel is igniting too early. Can you richen the engine to make it slow down then lean to speed back up? If not it is not getting enough fuel and is running lean. -Tom

slskn 07-26-2012 07:13 AM

Tom that is the best explanation I have heard yet! thanks for the info, makes sense to me now why it would slow down, I have the glo on a switch so I can turn on at will, the way I do it is turn on the glo at start up, get up to temp. then turn off and taxi out, and on take off turn back on til air born and then back off again through the flight, then when on final back on again til touch down then off while taxing back, just to conserve battery this is my normal procedure, as my battery is only a "D" size 10,000 mah. battery and only lights the plugs for 20 minutes or less if left on all the time. I am reluctant to only use external battery for fear of not being able to relight the plugs when loosing a cyl. which has happened before, Electro dynamics EDR glo light is what I am using and the company is upgrading to a better system with a 3 volt battery and program for lighting the plugs with more current and having the capacity for a much longer lasting glo, so maybe the upgrade for me next year, anyway, hope to get in some great flying we have an event this weekend, later-Steve

Kmot 07-29-2012 08:43 PM

Are all of you guys mixing your own fuel? Or is there a commercially made fuel for the Evolution radials available now?

Pete Bergstrom, is Horizon going to market some?

slskn 07-30-2012 06:17 AM

ORIGINAL: Kmot

Are all of you guys mixing your own fuel? Or is there a commercially made fuel for the Evolution radials available now?

Pete Bergstrom, is Horizon going to market some?
the fuel that Horizon recommends for the radials is Ritch`s Brew for the glo version, that`s what I have been using, 5%nitro and 7% oil, seems to run my 999 evo pretty well. -Steve

Well, got in some flights on the Corsair at a airshow here in Michigan temps around 85 deg. and no over heating problems since I opened up the cowling on the bottom and the cowl flaps are opened, running about 5,600 to 5,700
RPMS, things went real well, finally got all the bugs out and weather was fabulous, one guy commented how that the engine was the best dummy radial scale engine he has ever seen, :D he was amazed to here it run-Steve

Maxam 07-30-2012 07:27 AM

Yep I use riches brew too! I use 16% oil 15% nitro diluted one to one with methanol. Dummy radial Ha!!! -Tom

Kmot 07-30-2012 08:44 AM

Thanks guys!

Linkan2 08-03-2012 01:35 AM

<span id="result_box" lang="en"><span class="hps">Hi</span>
<span class="hps">I want to hear</span> <span class="hps">of</span> <span class="hps">you who have a</span> <span class="hps">UMS</span> <span class="hps">7-35</span><span>.</span>
<span class="hps">Are you satisfied with</span> <span class="hps">how it reacts</span> <span class="hps">to idle</span> <span class="hps">to full throttle</span><span>?</span>
<span class="hps">I find it hard</span> <span class="hps">to get it</span> <span class="hps">to go well</span> <span class="hps">over the whole range</span><span>.</span>
<span class="hps">The engine</span> <span class="hps">is</span> <span class="hps">from 2010,</span> <span class="hps">one of the first</span> <span class="hps atn">(</span><span>NR10</span><span>).</span>
<span class="hps">It has never</span> <span class="hps">been a</span> <span class="hps">problem</span> <span class="hps">in the air</span><span>.</span>
<span class="hps">Do you have</span> <span class="hps">nitro</span> <span class="hps">or pressure feed</span> <span class="hps">to the fuel tank
Lars<br type="_moz"/></span></span>

Kmot 08-03-2012 07:28 AM

How did you guys obtain your Ritch's Brew fuel? I have sent two e-mails to two different addresses listed on the Ritch's Brew website. One got returned as undeliverable, the other has never been answered.

slskn 08-03-2012 09:34 AM

How did you guys obtain your Ritch's Brew fuel? I have sent two e-mails to two different addresses listed on the Ritch's Brew website. One got returned as undeliverable, the other has never been answered.
on the fuel bottle their number is 713-661-5458 they are out of Houston Texas.- Steve

Dad_Roman 08-06-2012 05:51 PM

Tom, its widely available in the Houston area but I tell ya......about 2 years ago I spent a DAY looking for thier factory and never found it. They even have a LHS and those folks didnt know squat. I have also tried to contact them with no luck.

Mikes in North Dallas always has a WIDE selection of Ritch's.....I know that doesnt help you much but....;)

Heli-NuBee 08-06-2012 06:06 PM

I tried to start my UMS Evolution 7-77 radial engine for the first time today without any luck. I tried everything I could think of but never even got a pop out of the engine. I lubed the valve train before I started and set up the Micorsens on board glow system. I mixed my own fuel of 90% methanol and 10% Klotz oil. I worked on the thing for over two hours and almost burned down my starter. I checked and rechecked everything including pulling every glow plug and verifying that each one lit up. I choked the engine to a point that raw fuel was comming out of the exhaust but not even a single pop.

I'll give her a rest for a day or two and then try again. Hey Tom, do you remember where your carb needle is set?

Thanks,

Roger

Kmot 08-06-2012 07:32 PM

Thanks Shane.

Horizon is going to have to come up with a fuel solution for these engines they are marketing. Consumers having to track down an obscure fuel maker is not the way to go.

Maybe get with a major fuel manufacturer and give them an incentive for making "Evo Radial Fuel". :)

flingwinger 08-06-2012 10:14 PM

Roger, I had a hard time starting my 7-77 the first time too. I've never used a starter on mine, just hand propped it, with no luck until I figured out how much to prime it. I must have thrown it over for nearly an hour before i gave it a rest. Now I just prime about 6 to 8 blades (on first run) and it usually starts right up first flip after. My needle setting is sitting around 2 turns out on the test stand.

Shawn

Dad_Roman 08-07-2012 03:36 AM

I know what you mean. I havent run my (Chase's) 7-70 yet but I have located pure Methanol in 5 gallon cans at the local industrial supply. I figure that makes it easy to cut about any fuel to get it in the range we need.

It is strange how a major dist/retailer would be recommending a rather obscure and localized fuel company.

Let us know if you get ahold of them.......and where they are at:D

RichardGee 08-07-2012 07:44 AM

Has anyone tried contacting RED MAX FUELS / FHS SUPPLY?
http://www.fhsoils.com/model_prices.html

Back when I ran Technopower and Seidel radials, Red Max would make me any blend I wanted at a reasonable price, or simply sell me gallons of methanol with which I could dilute off the shelf standard glow fuels.

slskn 08-07-2012 10:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Dad_Roman

Tom, its widely available in the Houston area but I tell ya......about 2 years ago I spent a DAY looking for thier factory and never found it. They even have a LHS and those folks didnt know squat. I have also tried to contact them with no luck.

Mikes in North Dallas always has a WIDE selection of Ritch's.....I know that doesnt help you much but....;)
I am kind of surprised you have not been able to contact them, I called them 2 weeks before the Toledo show and they answered right away and I ordered a case for my Evo 999 and they brought it to the show and they saved me the shipping, plus had a show special on the price, and said to call them to order more when I need it, so not sure whats going on but I have three gal. left and hope to order more soon.

Maxam 08-07-2012 12:46 PM

Roger, I am lost for words for your difficulty starting the 7-77. My experience is it is the easiest of the three to start. OK open the High speed needle three turns, Then with your finger over the carb flip the prop about 5 times at high throttle. Now go to lower throttle so the choke is 1/5 to 1/4 th open. All assuming you are starting with a dry engine. It should start right away by hand. Now if the low speed needle is in too far the engine will not draw any fuel and then of course it will not start. -Tom

Kmot 08-07-2012 09:25 PM

Steve, I have not tried to telephone him, only to e-mail.

In any case I have decided to just blend my own fuel.

gregquin 08-08-2012 01:25 PM

Hi.

So what needle settings is everyone using? High needle settings are mentioned in a few posts, but no mention of the idle setting. How many turns out from fully closed?

I ask, because I had an issue with my glow system, and in trying to fix, all settings have been lost. I have it running again after replacing the glow system, but my 7-70 will not idle reliably below 2000 rpm.

Landings do not happen when the Seidel is ticking over at those speeds. My Gee Bee just zooms on past at head height, never looks like slowing down enough to land.

Greg

pappy 883 08-08-2012 01:43 PM

The 7-77 manuel says 2 turns out for low speed adj. .....to start.( thats the tiny screw opposite the high speed needle not the throttle stop screw)
2 1/2 for high. hope that helps.

nilsreinert123 08-08-2012 10:38 PM

On my 735 the manual also said 2 turns for the low needle ,but thats wrong ,i think i have atleast 4 turns on it :)