RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/10723075-ums-evolution-radial-care-operation.html)

Dad_Roman 03-04-2013 11:58 AM

RE: UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation

ORIGINAL: Maxam

This will be my 4th time. The first year I went I got an hour and 10 minute ride in a B-17 for 50 dollars!! Those days are over!
Magnificent isnt it?;)

I did 10 days in one in 97'. Got 2hrs and 15 min stick time and ended my tour in Oshkosh on opening day.

Maxam 03-04-2013 02:02 PM

That sounds very cool but didn't you mean Yoke time! Ha! Great place to end your tour! -Tom

Reverend 03-05-2013 06:17 AM

A quick question to you Evo Owners,

When cleaned up my triple 7 after those runs on saturday, the blue color from the writing on the front crank case came off. It is not fuelproof... I don't really mind as I didn't like that color in the first place.

anyone else have this?

Rev

slskn 03-05-2013 11:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Reverend

When cleaned up my triple 7 after those runs on saturday, the blue color from the writing on the front crank case came off. It is not fuelproof... I don't really mind as I didn't like that color in the first place.

anyone else have this?

Rev
yes my 9-99 front lettering came off also I liked it on there but, oh well, it don`t take away from the sound hey!!

pappy 883 03-05-2013 01:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Reverend

anyone else have this?

Rev
No big loss, looks better without imo.

j lauria 03-18-2013 04:00 AM

I would like to build the Ziroli 97 inch Stearman. Im serching for an appropriate engine. I have grown to dislike the large single cylinder gas engines becasue of the problems I have encontered with vibration. The new Evolution seven cylinder radial appeals to me. I saw one post that referred to using it in the Ziroli Stearman but it did not give any details. Is the engine large enough in diamater to look scale like? Does it develope enough pwoer to fly a 30 pound Stearman with authority? The posts by Maxam have been very usefull but still leave some questions in my mind. In his referance to the lack of need for muffler back pressure and its contribution to corrosion, is he indicating that one should not use an exhaust collector ring?

Maxam 03-18-2013 06:20 AM

J, There is a missunderstanding. Not using a collector ring would be messy and not sound as good. Please use a ring, I am just saying don't use the pressure tap. The engines have good fuel draw. The 7-77 is a solid strong engine and will swing a 22x12 well. Have you considered the 9 cylinder? Many stearmans were fitted with P&W 985's. I am confident with that engine on a 30 pound plane like a stearman.

Reverend 03-18-2013 06:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
J, the triple 7 looks very good on a 78" Stearman. I think the 9-99 would be great for a 97in plane as it is larger in diameter.

Rev

Maxam 03-18-2013 07:50 AM

Rev, That looks great! Could you take a side view shot for a good perspective? -Tom

j lauria 03-18-2013 03:08 PM

Dear Tom and REv,

Thanks for the replies. Rev, your Stearman with 7-77 looks great! I think that I will build a plane to fit the engine. Tom's comments haeve been very helpful. I'm leaning toward building the Ziroli 77 inch wiingspan rather than the 87 inch. I am quite sure that I can build the smaller version at 20-22 pounds. Rev how much do think your plane will wiegh?

John

Reverend 03-18-2013 11:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tom, John,

thanks, its an old aeroworks Stearman i bought last year. Flew it with a FS400 Radial. Now redoing to and powering it with the 7-77.

It weighed about 23lbs with the FS400. I guess I will be in the 25-26lb region with the metal, the oratex and the scale details. The 7-77 will be sufficient.

Per request, heres some pictures fresh from the basement :D I am currently working on the clamshell covering between engine and fuse.

The wing struts are still the old ones. They will be substituted by profiled aluminium teardrop pipe.

Rev

Maxam 03-19-2013 02:48 AM

Rev, Thank you for those pictures. I am sure we all are looking forward to hear how it flies. The size of the engine looks nice. On my Robin Hood 99, my 9-90 looks a bit big. The 7-77 I am sure would fly it well. -Tom

j lauria 03-19-2013 04:05 AM

Rev,
Thanks for the pictures. I am ordering the Ziroli 77 inch plans today. I will begin building in September. I would enjoy seeing more pictures of your Stearman as yuor finishing process progresses
John

Heli-NuBee 03-19-2013 10:35 AM

Hey maxam (Tom), I took your suggestion and did the spring maintenance on my UMS Evolution 777. The big BH Corsair is now ready to go play again.

Best wishes and good safe flying.

Heli-NuBee (AKA Roger the radial rabbit)

Maxam 03-19-2013 11:03 AM

Great Roger! My BH corsair is ready too! Yeah!

Joel_L 03-22-2013 07:59 AM

Hi,

So I'm back to work on my Staggerwing with the EVO 735. I was wondering, does anyone make a cylinder baffle kit for these engines yet?

Thanks

Joel

badangle 03-22-2013 09:12 PM

Maxim, can i get your thougths on a 7-77 in a 30lb biplane?  enough power?

Maxam 03-23-2013 05:53 AM

Badangle, I have the older 7-70 and it flies a 20 pound corsair with authority. Which biplane where you considering? If it is a gentle flier with light wingloading you would be fine. -Tom

Orion09 03-23-2013 06:58 AM

I have the 777 in a 85" Corsair that weighs 31 lbs.and it flys great.

Maxam 03-23-2013 07:37 AM

That answers that question!! Still curious which biplane you are thinking about. -Tom

badangle 03-26-2013 08:54 AM

Maxam, I purchased a ziroli 77 inch stearman.. since it weighs around 20lb...but I contacted Ziroli and was told 77cc is too much, plane designed for 40cc and I should have 87 inch ziroli stearman...it weighs around 30lbs....I am kind of confused as to why everyone puts these engines in planes designed for smaller engines.. is 77 cc radial same as 77cc single ?....Ziroli guy said I will have problems with prop clearance....77 inch stearman should have 18" prop....22" ok for the bigger one....is prop size a good way to tell what plane engine should be in? I have read your post (most not all) and you say 20lb is a good weight but as the last few post show others have had success up to 30lbs...so I suppose the bigger stearman would have been the better choice all things considered.

Maxam 03-26-2013 09:02 AM

Weighing 30 pounds...oops I see from the upper post. Well you should be good then based on the other post. Is it nearing completion? -Tom

badangle 03-26-2013 09:17 AM

Maxam...I just started build and had a question when I called Ziroli....now thinking of getting 87inch and making 77 inch for some other engine

Maxam 03-26-2013 09:21 AM

Badangle, The 777 does look right on the 78 inch stearman posted earlier. .-Tom

j lauria 03-26-2013 10:25 AM

Bandangle
I have just orderd a 77inch Ziroli Stearman kit froim National Balsa, after reviewing the Ziroli plans. I thank that the Evolution 7-77 will be a good fit cosmetically. From what I have read on this forumit it will function just fine. We may want to reduce the prop diameter some by increasing the pitch. The 7-77 on the Stearman posted by REv from Innsbruck looked great. I thought about building the 97inch. I enquired of Ziroli whether a Zenoah 80 t would fit if I cowled it. I never got a response. How long is a full size Stearman prop?

Besides wanting to fit the plane to the engine I chose the 77inch because I can get it into my 6by 12 foot trailer with the wings attached by putting it in side ways.

Nother thought: A raidial engine of 77cc displacement is not going to develope the same amount of power as a single cylinder of the same displacement so we should be using the higher displacement engine.
in radial configuration.