RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/10723075-ums-evolution-radial-care-operation.html)

Maxam 02-06-2012 06:12 PM

RE: UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation

Replacing the power of a DA 100??? That is a 10 HP + engine! Do not expect the same performance. What does the plane weigh? My 990 (yes older displacement) flies a 25 Lb plane solidly with good loops etc. The Evolutions are good solid engines, vastly better than a Technopower with much greater power and far cooler running. I would not run these engines full power all of the time. I broke mine in with 16 % oil 15% nitro in the old days before directions. I currently run 8% oil and 7% nitro swinging a 24x12 prop above 5000 somewhere. Check my very early posts with that information. It is late so I will give you more info later. -Tom

cymaz 02-07-2012 03:45 AM

Just ran in my 777 over the weekend. Took the best part of 2 gallons of fuel for the 3 hrs that is recommened in the manual. VERY stiff at the beginning-so much so I burnt my starter out. But once at the end of hour 2 could flick start it by hand when warm. Now has very good compression on all cyls and nice, smooth free action inbetween.
Glad I took the time and trouble.

BTW has any body had trouble fitting a needle extension. Mine does not seem to be threaded all the way through-probably a one off??

Maxam 02-07-2012 03:58 AM

Cymaz, Check your drive washer to see if it interferes with the crankcase. There have been a couple of cases where the washer was against the crankcase causing much friction to turning the crankshaft. A thin washer between the front bearing and the split taper cone will solve this. -Tom

Maxam 02-07-2012 04:20 AM

Richard, I believe the rpm on my 990 was 5800 with a 24x12. Your engine should have 10% more power. The 9 cylinder is easy to start with a sullivan regular hi-torque model on three 4000ml lipo's of high c capability. You MUST have a good high current starter battery for the glow plugs. Frankly, out at the field these engines are easy to run. I use no on-board glow power. The corrosion prevention process is critical at the end of your flying session. Please read my early posts. I took great care and time in writing them for your benifit. Pictures of your Mulligan would be great. -Tom

cymaz 02-07-2012 06:23 AM

Thanks Maxam for the advice..is there any special washer I should get???????

Maxam 02-07-2012 06:25 AM

You may need to make your own out of thin brass. Make the inner hole 10mm id and the outer about 16mm. Thats what others did. -Tom

cymaz 02-07-2012 06:26 AM

Thankyou...I have checked it this morning and there is no grating or binding so mine should be OK???

Maxam 02-07-2012 06:28 AM

Yes I think so. Run it more to perfect tune and put it in your plane! -Tom

Joel_L 02-07-2012 07:28 AM

Hi Pete,

Any update on the collectors rings for the 735?

Thanks

Joel

ORIGINAL: Pete Bergstrom

Pete

PS - The collector rings for all the engines will be available shortly - we are waiting to receive the instruction sheets from the printer.

rcten 02-08-2012 02:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Tom, Omega fuels, made by Morgan Fuels puts out a 12% (30% caster,70% syn.) oil, 10% nitro called 'Super T' which was originally made for Super Tiger engines. I run it in my 7 and 9 cylinder Technopower and Damo FS218 twin with no problem.

Maxam 02-09-2012 10:54 AM

I noticed all three glow versions of the Evo radials are sold out untill April! There must be a bunch out there so I hope to see a few flying at meets. My 160/Beast project is moving along so my next project will be figuring out what to put my 735 in. -Tom

BeasleyBunch 02-09-2012 03:17 PM

Is there any update on the collector ring' arrival timefor the EVO radials? I am in a holding pattern until I can get the one for my 9 99...

Thanks

cymaz 02-10-2012 12:44 AM

I was wondering what other UMS owners use as glow driver power???

I have one of [link=http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Hawker+Cyclon+Batteries&view=detail&id=E5 38BA4D99CD8F19B0B9CDC825A0110B3CD74999&first=0&FOR M=IDFRIR]these[/link]

Joel_L 02-10-2012 05:44 AM

I have a couple of packs that are four 3Ah nicads in parallel.

nilsreinert123 02-10-2012 12:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I use a 10 000 mah nimh 1.2v battery from Tenergy , i do not plan to use onboard glow on my 7-35.

I have only run it on regular 15% oil 5% nitro fuel as i have not received the methanol and oil i ordered yet. will receive it on monday. I am looking forward to try it with the correct oil mix ! It should run better on it.

Also i have had success in making my own collector ring for it , it was actually a rewarding job!
I made it from copper and brass tubes hard-soldered together with copper-phosphorus rods. The brass tubes are thin walled and slides on to the stubs that came with the engine , the other ends are soldered to the copper ring which ends at the bottom in two outlets.
I shaped the outles like trumpets to try to make it sound louder. Will test it when i get the metanol:)

Maxam 02-10-2012 12:04 PM

Pictures Nils!! Oh there they are. I used to play the French Horn! -Tom

cymaz 02-11-2012 12:09 AM

Nice one Nils........ever thought of building a French Horn for your next project:D:D:D

Linkan2 02-11-2012 05:38 AM

<span id="result_box" lang="en"><span class="hps">Here's my</span> <span class="hps">UMS</span> <span class="hps">7-35</span> <span class="hps">with</span> <span class="hps">exhaust</span> <span class="hps">ring</span><span>.</span>
<span class="hps">a very nice</span> <span class="hps">sound
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9adZ3e2cL0

Lars<br type="_moz"/></span></span>

Maxam 02-11-2012 06:10 AM

Lars, That sounds great! Nice deepened tone. Looks real cold out there in the snow..Now we wait for the flying season. Gotta go and work on my Beast........Tom

Linkan2 02-11-2012 06:21 AM

<span id="result_box" lang="en"><span class="hps">Yes</span> <span class="hps">it's been</span> <span class="hps">cold</span> <span class="hps">here</span> <span class="hps">down to -20</span> <span class="hps">degrees.</span> <span class="hps">Today,</span> <span class="hps">when</span> <span class="hps">tested</span> <span class="hps">motor</span><span>, it was</span> <span class="hps">-4 degrees

nilsreinert123 02-11-2012 07:29 AM

Hehe :D maybe i should try

Maxam 02-11-2012 08:31 AM

Yeah Nils!! You will not overheat it. You could
start it in your garage and then open the door. I have done that before. -Tom

nilsreinert123 02-11-2012 03:00 PM

I had to use a hair dryer to warm up the engine to start it ,because it was so cold here , -3 celsius.

Had no chance to get it started without warming , but it might also be because i used "fat" fuel and have not optimized the needle and idle settings.

Lars; how did you start it in the cold?

Linkan2 02-12-2012 01:20 AM

<span id="result_box" class="short_text" lang="en"><span class="hps">Nils</span>
<span class="hps">I used the</span> <span class="hps">electric start</span> <span class="hps">on my

cymaz 02-12-2012 05:35 AM

You lot are a hardy breed. Here in the south west of the UK I got to start mine by hand but it was a warm +7C. Tropical by your standards.

Maxam 02-12-2012 05:55 AM

You guys are true dedicated modelers! I have gotten a bit old for that but I used to fly on the snow below freezing. Now give me at least 60 F or 18C. Any new project pictures? That one project of a plane converted to a crop duster is quite interesting. -Tom

cymaz 02-12-2012 09:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have built the crop duster with the UMS7-777

Maxam 02-12-2012 11:39 AM

Right, right, Thats the one. Thanks for reminding me. Looks like the gear pivots for smooth landings. Keep the pictures coming and a flight report would be interesting! Thanks Cymaz. -Tom

slskn 02-14-2012 11:20 PM

OK guys just got my UMS 999 and now looking for fuel to use, I use WildCat fuel for all my 4 strokes I called them and the closest fuel they have for My 999 is 10% oil(synthetic) and 10 % nitro, will this be good for the breaking in, and for normal use? or should I cut down on the oil content? I plan on putting this engine on my Ziroli corsair, I was fling this on a 3 cyl. Saito 450 flew it OK but hoping to have a little more power with the 9cyl. also wondering what prop to use, want to use a 3 or 4 blade? thanks

cymaz 02-15-2012 12:31 AM

Hi Maxam,
Hope to do some taxi trails this Sunday. Will report back asap.

cymaz 02-15-2012 02:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally got my remote glow to work properly. The pictures might explain more but here goes. There is a 9" piece of solid copper cable to a 30A double pole switch and fitted in line is a 20A fuse. There is then a 22" length of thick multistrand armoured cable with a male Deans plug soldered to the end. On the female Deans plug there is solid copper wire which is connected to the earth and glow harness.
To give me something to hold onto as the plug is put in and out I covered the soldered Deans tags with heat shrink tubing. Then put a large piece around the entire plug only heat sealing it on the body of the plug. Then filled up the void inside with thin epoxy making sure there were no air bubbles and voids at the bottom. This makes a great cover and makes sure you dont pull the wires off the Deans solder tabs.
There is plenty of thick cable for the amps to run through but just enough resistance to stop the plugs glowing too bright. I had to experiment a bit with the lengths of cable.

Maxam 02-15-2012 04:01 AM

To SLSKN, The Saito 450 is a powerful engine. The HP should be similar but the 999 can swing big props. My 9-90 swings a 24x12 well but you have 10 more cc. I think your new engine can swing a 24x10 three blade but if one is made a 23x12 would be more appropriate. Contact Vogelsangaeroscale.com or Bob's Hobby Center.

Cymaz, The 20 amp fuse sounds a bit small. Each plug draws 3A X 9 =27A so a 30 would be better. I believe thats the current draw of OS type F's

cymaz 02-15-2012 04:44 AM

Thanks for the info, just checked it is 20A will get some 30A. Wait I have a 777 so 3x7=21. 20 Amp OK then??

slskn 02-15-2012 06:32 AM

thanks for the info Maxam, just waiting for the collector ring to come in, I will probably just mount the engine on the Corsair and run it to break in.

nilsreinert123 02-16-2012 11:26 AM

Yes ! ran my 7-35 with the 5% fuel mix tonight and now it actually sounds like a radial engine:)!

I was i bit turned down over the sound when i first ran it with the 15% oil mix it was sooo! quiet ,but i got a good surprise today. I have learned that the high oil mix takes away the sharp sound of a radial. Now it rumbles like a m14p! hehe

I will also test my ASP 400r5 with a lower oil mix , it will probably also sound much more like a radial then.

slskn 02-16-2012 12:55 PM

well I thought I would try the wildcat fuel of 10% oil and 10% nitro to start with for brake in and then cut down on the oil, I called about a prop 3 or 4 blade for my 999 and was told I could swing a 22-12 3 blade or a 22-10 4 blade not sure if this is right, but looking for some more input on the prop that I should use, and I will use a 10,000 ml 1.2 v on glo battery just for starting, I hope this will work... this corsair flew with a Saito 450 and weight was 35lb. and it flew OK but hoping to have a little more power with the 999 EVO.

BeasleyBunch 02-16-2012 03:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The feedback I recieved from Solo Prop was that my Evo 9 99 could handle a 25" 3 blade with not a lot of problem. That's what will be going on the front end of my Butcher Bird. A 26" prop is true scale forthe 1/4.5 scale FW 190,so the 25" should be just fine as a flying/static scale prop.

slskn 02-19-2012 06:59 AM

does anybody know how critical the baffling between cyl. are? like on my Corsair with the Evo 999 would it be fine without baffling?

Maxam 02-19-2012 07:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It all boils down to how much air can exit the cowl. The Black Horse corsair engineered in a curved fuse right behind the firewall along with the cowl flaps open fully so air flow is good. These engines are very cool running radials but you must have good airflow over those cylinders. My Hangar 9 corsair cowl did not have good flow over my Saito 90 r3 so I curved the front of the fuse and baffled the cylinders. The first picture is the BH corsair and the second is the H9 one. -Tom

slskn 02-19-2012 11:16 AM

thanks for the info, the Corsair was flown with the Saito 450 and flew ok but, I think It was over heating a little, it was my friends plane and He sold the engine and I bought the Corsair and now going to put the Evo 999 in it and thanks for the heads up on the airflow I think I will open up the cowl flaps just to be sure, and I think I will try the 24x10 3 blade prop, and hopefully with good results. thanks.......Steve