RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   Evolution engine (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/4816643-evolution-engine.html)

mentorman 10-01-2006 10:01 PM

Evolution engine

A flying buddy just got a new evolution 52NX and it hauls arse. Very impressed so far with the evolution line. He was a former OS lover, but his AX let him down with a bad piston/cylinder fit after maybe a few gallons of 15%. Anybody else having good times with evos? I want one.

aussiesteve 10-01-2006 10:33 PM

RE: Evolution engine

We have 2 x .40 NT's (Ex- RTF's) 4 x .46's, 2 x 1.00's, a 45 GX and a 58GX amongst our collection - Haven't had a bad one yet -I think that they are every bit as good as (or better than) the current common model OS's such as the 46AX (we have 4 of them) and the .40 FX (we have 3 of them) and the 1.20 AX (We HAD one of them) and I am absolutely certain that the Gas engines are better than some of the other low priced brands (But not as good as our DA's).

I personally don't think there is a "Perfect" engine brand due to the economics of making a truly excellent engine - how many people willingly pay the price for Jett's for instance (We also have 3 of them and for performance, they are most certainly my favourite of all the smaller glow engines that we own- but they are only used for special purposes where power to weight does matter)

JettPilot 10-02-2006 12:19 AM

I love my EVO 46... Runs great, starts easily, good power, and the liner does not peel :D

( I am a former OS fan [:'(] myself )

JettPilot

airborne14830 10-02-2006 08:23 AM

I have an evo .61 installed inverted in a harrier .46. The engine will not fire from that position, and will not transtion smoothly from the low end to the high end quickly. Y ou have to gradually increase the throttle in order to avoid flame out if you are lucky. Turn the plan over and the engine works like a charm. Any help with an inverted evo engine.

JettPilot 10-02-2006 10:47 AM

ORIGINAL: airborne14830

Turn the plan over and the engine works like a charm. Any help with an inverted evo engine.
Yes, mount it upright ;)

I dont understand why everyone wants to mount thier engines inverted [:'(]... You are more likely to have problems with flooding, and with drowning the glow plug [sm=drowning.gif], and much more likely to damage it in a crash or even a simple nose over. I mount all my engines right side up :D

JettPilot

skiman762 10-02-2006 02:10 PM

I have the 45 trainer system that was on my hangar 9 arrow runs like a champ never had a bit of trouble with it

teookie 10-02-2006 03:04 PM

My OS 40 fp had problems upside down. It's just a natural consequence of mounting a glow engine upside down.

proptop 10-02-2006 04:07 PM

Got an inverted Evo in my Cermark Bobcat...actually 2...1st was an Alpha 45 and now a 46NT.
It runs great...no problems...just lean out the low speed a little until it will idle and trasition without burbling. Use a good plug, like the Hangar 9 Super plug that it comes with, or a hotter 4 stroke plug.

The only time I have a wet plug, is after storage (over-night, or a few weeks, whatever ) and it loads with after-run oil. 1st start of the day, I pull the plug out and motor it over w/ the elec. starter for a few seconds at full throttle to clear it out.

The idle and transition are great, it just took some fine tuning to get it just right.

blw 10-02-2006 11:38 PM

The OS 8 plug is too cold for my .45 and .46NT Evolution engines. Maybe it's the same thing for the .61?

proptop 10-03-2006 03:20 AM

I agree...I think the #8 can act a little cool, especially when the weather is cooling down now too.

Another thing that has been suggested before here on RCU is that the extended reach of the H9 Super plug (looks like a 4 stroke plug ) helps to keep the fillament cavity from acting like a sump, because the plug body protrudes into the chamber.

Just another idea I have had about the Evo needing a warmer plug is that it has more cooling fins and fin area than most other 2 strokes...whaddoyathink?

airborne14830 10-03-2006 09:35 AM

I'm thinking about removing the baffle inside the muffler to see if that would help. I am geeting nowhere with this one. one great right side up turn it over and it dies during transition.

Folks are suggesting that i return it for another one. This one could be a bad apple. thoughts are other suggestions?

JettPilot 10-03-2006 12:42 PM

I'm thinking about removing the baffle inside the muffler to see if that would help. I am geeting nowhere with this one. one great right side up turn it over and it dies during transition.

Folks are suggesting that i return it for another one. This one could be a bad apple. thoughts are other suggestions?

Mount the engine upright.

opjose 10-03-2006 02:30 PM

Wouldn't removing the baffle act to make things worst? In that now you have no tank pressure helping to keep fuel flow consistent at all attitudes?

BTW: I'm having the same problem.

As far as I can tell the engine is flooding whenever the piston is head down.

I had a Pitts muffler on an NX 1.00 and could NOT get this (albeit NEW) engine tuned. After 3-4 tanks of fuel through it, no matter what I do it will quit when inverted and the glow plug ignitor is removed.

I then removed the Pitts, installed the standard muffler and remounted the engine sideways.

The engine seemed to run fine this way, except that when I took a bank turn, effectively pushing the engine head downward/inverted, I got the same result. DEADSTICK.

Now I haven't done a long tuning session since I remounted the engine and restored the included muffler (that will come next) but thus far I've also gone no where.

Two other Evolution engines I have, a PTS .455 and a .46 both run flawlessly with the included mufflers and in any position.

mentorman 10-03-2006 10:09 PM

Ok, after my first post about my buddy and his evo's. He has a problem with one, its the 46 with a pitts, the HSP has the limiters on it , they all do, and he said he cant get it to go rich enough because of it. Do you have to keep the limiters on? This kinda bothers me. How do you overcome the limiter?

w8ye 10-03-2006 10:17 PM

On the High speed needle there is a pin sticking up that catches on the stops of the collar. Grind this pin down flush with the needle valve body.

blw 10-03-2006 10:39 PM

Some of the .61s were shipped with the o ring under the carb missing. Have you checked to see if yours is there?

NM2K 10-04-2006 12:22 AM

ORIGINAL: JettPilot

Turn the plan over and the engine works like a charm. Any help with an inverted evo engine.
Yes, mount it upright ;)

I dont understand why everyone wants to mount thier engines inverted [:'(]... You are more likely to have problems with flooding, and with drowning the glow plug [sm=drowning.gif], and much more likely to damage it in a crash or even a simple nose over. I mount all my engines right side up :D

JettPilot

-----------------

Do you assemble many ARFs? The majority of them come set up for inverted engines these days.

I'm waiting for a YS.63 to arrive. This is going in my old Funstar 3D model (NIB Phoenix model). I was going to try the Rossi .45 3D in it, but decided that I didn't want to have to deal with a two-stroke with no pump running inverted. Moving it to a sidemount isn't practical, the way the tank mounts are set up.

airborne14830 10-04-2006 06:45 AM

Thanks for the tip about mouting the engine side ways and your results. That was going to be my next step. I will check and see if my engine has the rubber gasket under the engine later this evening.

Sound like others are having this problem as well. How do I get this info out to the manufacture so they can help troubleshoot. The Evolution is real good engine and has the power for 3D flying.

Pete Bergstrom 10-09-2006 04:48 PM

When a running problem /needle seeting problem occurs between an upright and an inverted iengine nstallation, the culprit invariably turns out to be the tank; and more to point, the position of the tank in reference to the carb.

If you can visualize the tank installed in your airplane, and draw an imaginary line through the middle of the tank ... that imaginary line should extend right through the center of the carb, generally through the position of the high speed needle. If this is not the case, either the engine has to suck more fuel up an incline (if the tank is below the carb), or the carb has to stop the over-abundance of fuel (if the tank is located above the carb). Fuel, like water, always runs downhill.

The case of both of the two Harrier models from Seagull is that the tank is located at the very top of the fuselage and the carb, in an inverted installation, is at the very bottom of the fuselage, creating a tremendous downhill run for the fuel. The best solution to this problem is to drop the tank position in the fuselage to better align the carb with the centerline of the tank. Without changing the position of the tank, you could lean out the low end of the carb to the point where the engine with run very well. But as soon as you invert the airplane, now the engine has to suck fuel (because the tank is below the carb) and the chances are that it will quit lean in this installation.

Talking much more generically, if you are having a problem with an inverted engine installation, look first to the alignment of the tank, and then try to trouble shoot the engine. If the engine runs great while it is upright, there is nothing inherently wrong with the engine. The problem is a fuel feed problem, either too much, or too little.

I hope this helps.

Pete

NM2K 10-09-2006 06:58 PM

ORIGINAL: JettPilot

Yes, mount it upright ;)

JettPilot

------------------

Why doesn't my engine "drown" when I'm performing lots of inverted flat spins?

Most inverted engine problems can be traced to poor handling and poor fuel tank placement.

I like to run my engines on their sides or upright. I don't enjoy the special rituals that are necessary to start an inverted two-stroke (handling).

The makers of modern ARFs have learned the secret to selling product - make the model look good no matter how well it performs. And we keep buying them and *****ing about them. <G>

opjose 10-09-2006 07:33 PM

I finally flew with my NX 1.00 today.

The "mount the engine sideways" suggestion did not cure the problem at all. It merely flooded out when I took a turn instead... sigh.

In my case it was NOT a problem with fuel delivery or tank mounting...

Rather the low speed limiter is EXTREMELY sensitive. 1/4 turn is enough to go from blathering rich and unreliable to a perfectly running engine.

In my case I had to turn the low speed needle to correspond EXACTLY where the limiter post was set to on the lean side +1/8 turn in.

This meant that I had to lean the engine out just slightly MORE than the factory setting.

Once done the high speed needed adjustment, and all was well with my 1.00NX.

NM2K 10-09-2006 07:58 PM

ORIGINAL: opjose

The "mount the engine sideways" suggestion did not cure the problem at all. It merely flooded out when I took a turn instead... sigh.

Rather the low speed limiter is EXTREMELY sensitive. 1/4 turn is enough to go from blathering rich and unreliable to a perfectly running engine.

In my case I had to turn the low speed needle to correspond EXACTLY where the limiter post was set to on the lean side +1/8 turn in.

This meant that I had to lean the engine out just slightly MORE than the factory setting.

----------------

I prefer to buy engines that do not come with "training wheels". <G>

opjose 10-09-2006 10:17 PM

Yeah, I'm really soured on these "limiters". They have been very problematic for me.

The engines would be great if they removed the training wheels.

NM2K 10-10-2006 12:57 AM

ORIGINAL: opjose

---------------

Opjose, please understand this and get it through your noggin' - THERE ARE NO FACTORY SETTINGS.

If the engine is runnable out of the box with the stock needle settings, it is a complete accident. A serendipitous occasion, for sure.

You should have checked your settings and rectified them before asking for extensive help and suggestions, not that any harm was done.

Cyberwolf 10-10-2006 03:53 AM

There should be set screws in the limiters,just loosen them up and readjust then set them back in the middle of the travel.