Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Early RC Models Debolt Champ build

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Early RC Models Debolt Champ build

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 05:16 AM
JT Hammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Early RC Models Debolt Champ build

Thanks for the tips guys. Somehow, the Champ will end up with a windshield installed! The windshield in the Early RC version is very thick and stiff, which will make it a bit more difficult putting and holding it in place during the installation.

JT
Old 02-17-2011, 06:03 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: J.T. Hammer

Jim, My Champ definitely will not weigh under 3 pounds! That gold Saito looks pretty large up front, but I'm anxious to hear it go 'putt-putt'! I can always put a smaller engine on the Champ and use the same type of mount - the G.P. adjustable. Anyway, finally got her all covered with ultracote, so can proceed with some trimming, hinging, etc. Yes, the end is in sight! It still could be a few days before I up-load the pics. My momentum seems to have slowed down a bit - maybe, spring fever! Still, I only started this project - what 6 weeks ago or so - so for an old f-, that's not too bad! Oh ya, the windshield for the Champ is still bugging me. I've kinda figured out the curved part must go up, that is wrap around the top of the window frame. That only gives about 1/8 overlap on this part of the frame, which is not much for gluing! I am thinking of using the idea that 'Skylark's' Champ has, that is, using srcews - 2 or 3 on each side, and 1 or two along the top, if there is room. Bob, any views on windshield installation? I wouldn't mind making a new windshield using this one for a pattern, and just enlarging it a smitch. However, I am not sure where to look for material. The LHS doesn't have anything.

JT (Terry)
Terry, I wouldn't worry a whole lot about weight with this bird. I know mine is definitely overweight (something in the order of 5 lbs - she was built tough and heavy) and she's still one of the greatest floaters I've ever flown in my life. My one and only issue with her is the rather long take-offs but, as I said somewhere before, we fly off a rather rough field surface (field was "smoothed" with a dozer that had a bucket with teeth - and that was it - - - 20 years ago!!) and the grass is rarely what I'd call short enough for my liking - so all our planes have oversize wheels (the Champ does too now) and they all take longer than they should to get off the ground, even the Telemaster-40 with the OS-46AX in it.

Understood about the spring fever! They're calling for near 70 degrees tomorrow and my planes are cleaned (a rarity), charged and ready to go. Can't wait!!!!!!!!

That windshield is something else, gotta tell ya. She stands a lot closer to vertical than any other I've ever had and, on my bird, it does overlap on top nearly 1/4 inch, so there's plenty of room for those screws. You're probably right about up-sizing it just a bit too, at least for cutting/fitting purposes. Then trim down to what you really need.

I like your idea of the side windows!! With the full "box" construction of the fuselage around the cockpit area you don't have the problem of stresses on those sides like you do other planes (Cubs, most notably) and real windows would really stand out at the field. Jim's idea of the pop bottle is great! Should work just fine, probably even for the side windows. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the original plastic is close enough to bottle-plastic that the difference isn't worth talking about. Just warm the plastic and weight it down until it cools and it should lay rather flat, at least, flat enough for that windshield glue to hold it tight.

Can hardly wait for the pics!!

Do her right though!!! Remember, haste makes waste.

Dave
Old 02-17-2011, 12:17 PM
JT Hammer

Hey Dave; I can't take credit for the idea of side windows in the Champ; that was Jim's! And you're getting 70 degrees tomorrow. That's just not fair. We still have snow halfway up our window at the front of our house. I'll run out and take a picture.................there you are! OK, am going to my workshop to doodle on the Champ. Talk to you all later.

JT
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25822.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1565522  
Old 02-18-2011, 09:55 AM
skylark-flier

Gee, I can't thank you enough for that pic - it reminds me of just exactly why I didn't go back to Alaska when I retired from the USAF, some 23 years ago.

BTW, even here in Virginia, we get THOSE winters. Take a look-see at this page in the "horse" division of my website: [link=http://www.wanderings-ds.com/whc/winter-2009-2010/p1.html]http://www.wanderings-ds.com/whc/winter-2009-2010/p1.html[/link]

Sure am glad that THOSE don't happen very often.

Dave
Old 02-18-2011, 11:03 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went down to Florida and FROZE. We were in the NE...Okefenokee, St. Augustine, barrier islands. Somehow 40s felt WAY colder there than it does here. I guess the damp sea winds really penetrate. Back home in upstate NY we've got upper 50s today and it's wonderful, but it's headed back down tomorrow.

All this Champ talk makes me want to build another, or maybe strip down my old one in the attic and re-do it. I think I'd use my OS 26FS in place of the 15.

By the way, I used Koverall on the wings and Litespan on the tail, clear doped with orange dope trim. The Litespan got pretty beat up on the bottom of the stab, not that it mattered. I would use something tougher on the tail if I did it again. I'd need something to balance out that big 26FS anyway!

Jim
Old 02-18-2011, 01:01 PM
JT Hammer

Holy Cow Dave, you really do get winter down there -great pictures! Hey Jim, get the lead out and re-furbish that Champ. That O.S. .26 will be great on there. The only thing with a 4-stroke, they are quite a bit longer(from the the back to where the prop is). For this reason you will have a lot of engine hanging out front beyond the fuse struction....Just looks a little odd. At least that's the case with my Saito. This is because the carb, etc is on the back end.]

Well, everyone, I obsessed needlessly about the Champ windshield. When I got right down to doing it, it went on perfectly. I used wide masking tape (about a foot of it) and stuck it on the windshield first, then pulled it tight around the fuse and stuck the tape on the fuse sides. Once I got it exactly in the right position, I drilled 3 guide holes on each side for screws. I located just the right ones that look good, so I don't mind using them. I managed to drill the two holes for the dowel without messing it up, so I'm happy! Then I removed it for painting trim which I will do tomorrow. When I reinstall the windshield, I will supplement the installation with a modest amt of the Sig glue in a couple of places. The end is in sight!

JT
Old 02-18-2011, 06:05 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Attached is the first page of the Dec 1995 MAN construction article of an updated DeBolt Live Wire called the Live Wire II.

Does anyone wish to have the rest of the article posted?

Would it qualify for vintage events?

Sincerely, Richard
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Jh15532.pdf (1.54 MB, 34 views)
Old 02-19-2011, 05:10 AM
skylark-flier

ORIGINAL: spaceworm

Attached is the first page of the Dec 1995 MAN construction article of an updated DeBolt Live Wire called the Live Wire II.

Sincerely, Richard
Richard!!! I, for one, would absolutely LOVE to see the rest of the article!!!!!!!!!!

Y'know, I've heard of the DeBolt designs for much of my life and now that I have one (and am having as much fun with it as I am) I want them all. These critters are absolutely CLASSIC! Fabulous planes.

Yeah, I'd like to see the rest of it.

-

As far as the horse pics go, last winter was the 2nd worse that we've had here in about 10 years. Back in 96 (and 93) we had winters and snow that actually made it to the house roof. Got some pics around here of those 2 also. Still, it's pretty bad when you have to use a snow blower to clear a path to bring in the pickups with new hay - - THEN have to blow the snow from an area for the guys/gal to actually eat it. Once that was done we blew paths all over the field so they could get to their shelter, the regular feeder, the stream, etc. On a 17 acre field, that was a fair amount of exercise for the ol' blower.

Glad the windshield came out OK. One thing I've noticed with mine is that I'm going to need to take it off from time to time to clean UNDER it. Dirt & oil get through into the interior of that area because it's never been sealed/glued. Thinking seriously of actually gluing/sealing it so I don't have to do that anymore. Probably will happen when I take the covering off and re-do it with Koverall (which I think this bird needs - it's a travesty [for me] to have a bird like this covered in something that didn't exist when she was designed. Koverall didn't exist either, but it's a lot closer to the silk/dope combination than monokote is, and it's a great deal tougher too. Just going to have to watch the weight, but that's no real problem.

Hey guys, I'm about to head out and see the guys/gal for breakfast and a bit of exercise (if I can make it through this 40 mph wind we've got around here this morning). Later!!

Dave
Old 02-19-2011, 02:09 PM
JT Hammer

Well, I never got much trimming done today. The fin is now glued to the stab. The elevator is hinged to the stab, as well. I was going to glue the stab to the fuselage, but decided to give it a greater surface to glue on to. I had put solid sheet in this area earlier, but today I added 1/4" triangular stock to the outside edges of the fuse. As you can see in the photo, there is now a sizable area where the stab will now be glued. I thought for a few added grams of weight, what the heck! There's a good chance with the heavier Saito up front, I may have to add weight at the back anyway. In the past, I have blown or broke off tail feathers due to high stress maneuvers, so I remain a bit sensitive in this area. In the photo you will see the partially trimmed tail feathers with the colors I am using. Tomorrow is an 'off' day for me, but will get back to it on Monday.

JT

Name:	Sq45639.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1566555  
Old 02-21-2011, 01:04 PM
JT Hammer

Well, I got all the trim painting done today. Bob, your Rustoleum rattle can method worked superbly! I found some masking tape at our local auto shop (Canadian Tire Corp) called Frogtape by ShurTech. What great stuff. After removing the tape all the lines were as sharp as could be - absolutely no bleeding under. In fact I wouldn't have to use pin stripping tape at all. I will for looks , though. Since the paint is newly sprayed I will let it harden up for a couple of days before proceeding to do anything else. Let's see what is left to do: -glue the stab/fin assembly on the fuse
-pinstripping and minor detail
-reinstall the radio
-reinstall the engine
- " " " tank
- " " " landing gear
- " " " windshield
-balance the wing
- " " " whole airplane
So I'm getting closer to hearing that "ptt-putt" sound.

I was wondering re the full scale Aeronca. Can someone tell me what the seating arrangements are inside? i.e. side by each up front, or a single seat and one behind? Just curious.

JT
Old 02-21-2011, 01:11 PM
spaceworm

The full size Champ I flew in a few years ago was tandem seating, like a J3. I will see if I can find the Champ construction article from RCM a few years ago.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 02-21-2011, 02:21 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, it's tandem. The difference is when there is only one person, the pilot sits in front in the Champ, in the back in the Cub. I noticed a new HK Cub ARF where they got it the wrong way around.

Jim
Old 02-22-2011, 04:12 AM
JT Hammer

Thx for that info guys! It's just after 7am this morning. I must be anxious to get at the Champ. But first I''ll hit the Cherrios!

JT
Old 02-22-2011, 04:19 AM
billmod12
My Feedback: (1)

J T, It's 7:20AM here and I am on my 2nd cup of coffee then headed to the field. Hope to see a picture or 2 by this evening. Cheers Bill
Old 02-22-2011, 09:12 AM
JT Hammer

Come on Bill, it took me all morning to apply pin-stripping. I still got all that other stuff to do. Actually, the paint I sprayed is still soft so it's not safe to handle much yet. I'm thinking, let it sit a couple of more days, so I don't mess it up completely. I put some trim tape on one place this morning, in the wrong spot, and had to pull it off, and yup, made a 1" mess which I have to fix. Hope you enjoyed your day at the field (you son-of-a-gun)!

JT
Old 02-22-2011, 09:39 AM
spaceworm

ORIGINAL: skylark-flier

ORIGINAL: spaceworm

Sincerely, Richard
Richard!!! I, for one, would absolutely LOVE to see the rest of the article!!!!!!!!!!

Y'know, I've heard of the DeBolt designs for much of my life and now that I have one (and am having as much fun with it as I am) I want them all. These critters are absolutely CLASSIC! Fabulous planes.

Yeah, I'd like to see the rest of it.
Dave

Well, as Paul Harvey used to say: "Here is page 2 of the rest of the story" (and 3 and 4)
Attached Files
Hf10152.pdf (1.54 MB, 38 views)
Tr50806.pdf (2.23 MB, 73 views)
Nl28700.pdf (1.72 MB, 39 views)
Ig11825.pdf (2.12 MB, 39 views)
Old 02-22-2011, 12:07 PM
skylark-flier

I want to thank you Richard, for those pages from MAN - I appreciate them. If you don't mind, I'd like to include them as references to my Champ pages in the website ([link=http://www.wanderings-ds.com/whs/52-champ-1.html]http://www.wanderings-ds.com/whs/52-champ-1.html[/link]).

- - - -

JT, take it easy with that critter of yours - don't rush it! Spring isn't for at least another 2 days (maybe a bit more) - we can wait.

Dave
Old 02-22-2011, 02:09 PM
spaceworm

ORIGINAL: skylark-flier

I want to thank you Richard, for those pages from MAN - I appreciate them. If you don't mind, I'd like to include them as references to my Champ pages in the website ([link=http://www.wanderings-ds.com/whs/52-champ-1.html]http://www.wanderings-ds.com/whs/52-champ-1.html[/link]).

- - - -

JT, take it easy with that critter of yours - don't rush it! Spring isn't for at least another 2 days (maybe a bit more) - we can wait.

Dave

I certainly do not mind, if MAN does not. I like to make info available if I can, and likely MAN could not, in this case.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 02-23-2011, 05:38 AM
billmod12
My Feedback: (1)

Spaceworm and others . Thanks for the article on the LW Trainer II. Here is a thread where Dave Segal built one from that article. Nice looking plane!! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_71...tm.htm#7163439
Old 02-25-2011, 08:30 AM
JT Hammer

Flood in basement guys! Gotta cope with that. Won't be too long before The Champ has a photo shoot. The flood didn't get it. It was sitting on the bench, thankfully.

JT
Old 02-25-2011, 08:55 AM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep JT the Rustoleum takes a few days to dry hard. About 2 to 3 in the summer down here. After that the dang stuff is almost bullet proof!! Waiting to see the pics.

Bob Harris
Old 02-26-2011, 08:41 AM
JT Hammer

The good news is - the Champ is basically done. Got the finished stab , fin and rudder assembly glued on (straight). That was a relief. All the radio is in and adjusted. The engine is back on as is the landing gear and windshield. The all up weight is 62 and 1/2 oz's or just under 4 pounds. This is a bit lighter than I thought it would be considering the beefing up I did. I want to address a few details before I upload the pics. Unfortunately, I'll be otherwise occupied for a couple of days. Should be able to show them to you early in the week.

JT
Old 02-28-2011, 02:22 PM
JT Hammer

Hi everyone. It's a bit past 5 pm here on Monday. I just tried uploading some photos you guys have been waiting for, but no go! They were trying to load but was taking forever. I finally cancelled. I have 10 or twelve to upload, but was just attempting to send the first two. Perhaps the network is too busy this time of day. I will try later or early tomorrow morning. Sorry!

JT (Terry)
Old 03-01-2011, 04:22 AM
JT Hammer

I'll try up-loading a couple of pics of the Champ. In the end I decided to use straight lines with the trim (less chance to muck up!) Because the Saito is gold I tried to carry through with that theme in some respect, i.e. gold landing gear, prop tips, gold stripes here and there (that don't show well in the photos), etc. All in all, I am pleased with the result. I lucked out with the balance; turned out to be bang on with no adjustment required!

JT (Terry)

Name:	Pm34811.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1571676   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69280.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1571677  
Old 03-01-2011, 04:26 AM
JT Hammer

That worked; let's try more!....JT

Name:	Da83168.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1571678   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45930.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	1571679  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.