Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

New encoder - Six-channel Reeds on 2.4ghz

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

New encoder - Six-channel Reeds on 2.4ghz

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 04:56 AM
phil_g

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New encoder - Six-channel Reeds on 2.4ghz

I've done a new encoder for Reeds, I call this one the 'Tiny-6' as its only an inch square. Its heavily based on the existing full-house Reeds encoder software, written entirely in assembler, but uses a commercial SMT PCB. The big advantage of the commercial board is that I dont have to make the PCBs by hand, which was always a problem, and also these work out cheaper than the 12 channel encoder.

Features - the new 6 channel 'Tiny' is a true six-channel Reeds Emulation Encoder and has trims on all functions, servo reversing on all functions, servo slow on all functions with two speed options, and a single-handed range check mode. All the trim, reversing and transit speed configuration settings are saved to flash and therefore retained during power off. It runs happily of a small 2S lipo and will drive any of the Frsky, OrangeRx, etc RF modules - or even a Spektrum DM8. I used a Frsky DFT.

In flight tests I found the 'higher' transit speed was great for my Veron Impala glider which responds quite slowly, but a bit 'lively' for my overpowered Cub, the slower speed was much smoother to fly and is more typical of period reed servos which were characteristically slow. The slower of the two settings is the same transit speed as I use on my old Junior 60 and Kazmirski Tauri with the Remcon and Orbit-10 sets ( Youtube 38vrO1fxlJQ )
I've uploaded a very draft document to www.singlechannel.co.uk , its right at the bottom of the Archive page under the QR code.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTypFi7Vigk
Cheers
Phil

Last edited by phil_g; 01-11-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:43 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Wow, that's neat.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:31 PM
phil_g

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone is interested in using a "Tiny-6" Reeds Emulation Encoder either for a new build or to convert an old 6-channel Reeds set, I worked out some costs and I can do the encoder for £12 delivered anywhere. This is at cost and includes the pre-programmed and tested board, the switch resistors, the buzzer module, a ppm schottky-diode, optional header pins, and the first few will have a name plate sticker supplied as below. There is no profit, its all done for enjoyment.
Rudder / elevator / throttle suits a lot of vintage and 'period' reed models such as the Junior 60, Tauri, Falcon 56 and the Veron Robot amongst many others. Having trim on all functions is a bonus - back in the day trim was only available on elevator and needed an additional 'progressive' servo which used up two of the six channels! ‘
Period’ sets suitable for conversion include the RCS Inter 6, the Ariel 6, Orbit and F&M 6, Raven 6, etc, as well as full-house sets with dummy keys for the higher channels!
Please email if interested, or contact via http://www.singlechannel.co.uk
Cheers
Phil [email protected]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tiny6_2.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	1956590  

Last edited by phil_g; 01-25-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:20 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

HI, Phil. That is really neat, mimicking flight as it was 50 years ago, wow. I downloaded your draft document and watched one of your videos, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTypFi7Vigk titled, 6 Channel Reeds Emulation on 2.4ghz using 'Tiny' encoder (update). The price you offer is very tempting, ultra reasonable. At this point, I'm not quite ready to make the jump, but I'll post your offer on the Vintage Radio Control Society AMA special interest Yahoo group that I am a member of.