Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Vintage in box Balsa kits, any value?

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Vintage in box Balsa kits, any value?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 05:07 PM
Northern Mike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vintage in box Balsa kits, any value?

I'm looking at a potential deal on a few WW2 and slightly newer, still in box unassembled kits and am wondering if they are of value or I'm being taken.
I've attached pictures of the models.
Some are rubber powered and one is CO2
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	$_20-7.jpeg
Views:	109
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1966125   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_20-6.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	1966126   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_20-3.jpeg
Views:	159
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	1966127   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_20-4.jpeg
Views:	147
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1966128   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_20-5.jpeg
Views:	176
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1966129  
Old 02-07-2014, 02:49 AM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

The pictures you posted show the kits to be in very good condition. That is the condition most all kit collectors are looking for. As far as being "taken", that really depends on how much you have paid for them as opposed to how bad a kit collector wants one of those kits and is willing to pay you for them. I collect kits myself and have paid more than i'd like to admit for that one i "just had to have". You can allways post them for sale with a high reserve & or best offer & see what the buyers think they are worth. In my opinion, looking at your pictures, i think theres someone out ther that would like to have some of those kits in their collection......Gene
Old 02-07-2014, 10:24 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The first thing one needs to understand in our hobby is as a collector, in this economy its a great time to be buying kits but a very bad time to be selling kits. Bottom line is folks in this economy just do not have the disposable income they my have had even recently and all forms of our hobby does suffer.

Do people make big hits selling collectables, well maybe on occasion but that's just not gonna happen all that often. Now on to the three kits I see there. It is my opinion that two most valuble you have are the Jasco Thermic 50 which I beleve is from the fifties and the rubber powered helicopter. I do not know anything about the helicopter but the item is so rare and unique that would make desirable to a larger segment of collectors. The Thermic 50 is well known and also likely that makes it more desirable.

The Top Flite Kit would I feel apeal to a smaller audiance and perhaps only those who had exactly that one and just has to have one,.

Anyway I would agree with Gene and the only way to know their value at any point in time is to put them up for open auction.

John
Old 02-07-2014, 04:48 PM
Northern Mike

Thanks for the input guys.
I know all too well about the current economy as I got laid off after 7 years. It was getting laid off that got me back into RCs and now trading.
I am thinking I will list them, but expect/plan to sit on them. I'm patient and can wait. I will however have to figure out the best way to display them while preserving them. I guess that will be another research project for me.

Edit, added the missing model from the collection.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	$_20-8.jpeg
Views:	131
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	1966385  

Last edited by Northern Mike; 02-07-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:46 PM
tweedy
My Feedback: (1)

I think you might be surprised just how much these end up going for.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:10 PM
Northern Mike

Originally Posted by tweedy
I think you might be surprised just how much these end up going for.
I sure hope you are right.
If I was still working, I would keep these and probably not let them go. Unfortunately, they are now a trade item that I will need to move eventually.
I will site on them as long as I can or for the righr price.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:38 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like fine art, it is worth ONLY what someone is willing to pay.

Les
Old 02-13-2014, 02:03 PM
Northern Mike

Well... I pulled the trigger and did the trade for this collection. It cost me two vintage RCs and shipping for both boxes (each direction). All and all, I think it works out good in my favor (just no more trade items to play the classified trade trade game for a while).
I sure wish I was still working. If I was, I'd become that collector that would never let them go.
The helicopter appears to be extremely rare, almost too rare. I did some searching and have been unable to find really anything on it, nor any comparables.

Being that its going to take me some time to find where to locate the collector, then find him, I'm thinking of vacuum forming some policarbonite over the boxes so I can seal them and then display them in one of the guest rooms. I don't have the basement finished, so no man cave to add them too (yet).

If anyone has any tips or info on how to find the right collector, drop me a pm.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:22 AM
Cashpoboy
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Northern Mike, This is an easy one.
EBAY!!!!
Ebay is the pulse of American markets.....All of them. There are millions and millions of people on Ebay everyday. Enough vintage kit collectors are on at any given time to compete for what you have.
I have sold many vintage kits on Ebay and have been amazed at what some of them have sold for (even in this economy).
This is the one truth I have learned in years of trading: If it does not sell on Ebay, chances are you will not sell it anywhere else.
I trade tons and Ebay is THE market. Yes there are fees but it is THE market. I go to trade shows and swap meets and Ebay is your place.
Hope my years of trading will help you.
Good luck.
PS. Hanging on to this stuff to wait for the right market conditions is a waste of time. There is always somebody at any given time that will want what you have no matter what the economy is doing.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:25 AM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems odd that the plans do not appear yellowed, particularly the Thermic 50. The paper all looks like new. Maybe it's just the lighting in the picture, but it all looks new to me?
Old 02-24-2014, 10:33 AM
Northern Mike

Originally Posted by Lomcevak Duck
It seems odd that the plans do not appear yellowed, particularly the Thermic 50. The paper all looks like new. Maybe it's just the lighting in the picture, but it all looks new to me?
It is the lighting.
Although the kits are in really good shape, they show the age I expect.
I have papers, photos and other items from that time and they are about the same.
These where stored in decent conditions.