Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Bud Nosen Mr. mulligan

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Bud Nosen Mr. mulligan

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 02:48 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stevegauth30
Plenty of time to rest when I can't work any longer. I'm with mike. I want my dang shop.
In that case, where's the progress pics ? You've been there for a day, now.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:32 PM
stevegauth30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As badly as I wanted to come home from work and just sack out for the next week, I've started the task of separating everything into different piles. Stuff that's staying stored away for now, stuff that needs to get unpacked, my stuff, she'd stuff, garage stuff, get the idea? Right now, everything is just piled up everywhere in the basement so before I can start building the shop, I have to do this and get everything in order. May take a while so don't hold your breath. But it has begun. Phase two!
Old 11-03-2014, 05:36 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mr. Mulligan has bracing rods tying the fin, stab and fuse together as a unit. So long as you incorporate that into your model then resist temptation to 'beef' things up. The most I'd do would be to laminate CF tow to inside perimeter of stab then add ribs. Put dowel rod segments end grain into the stab and fin to receive the mounting bolts for bracing. It won't crush when bolts or fasteners are tightened. The Nosen kit is nice. The gear needs tweaking for scale appearances but the rest is pretty good. The full scale wing is dead flat... no dihedral... which looks kinda 'funny' so adding ~1/2" dihedral makes it look better but you will lose scale points if putting it in competitions.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:15 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Rest? He don't need no stinking rest he has a shop and an airplane to build!

(Sometimes the smart***** comments are just too hard to resist!)
Beside he is just a young kid

Glad your move is done Steve. You have burnt that candle at both ends long enough.

Ken
Old 11-08-2014, 04:42 PM
stevegauth30

Life at the new home front is finally starting to return to normal, ( if at all possible.) I've started setting up the shop. Basically I'll have two areas. One with an 8 foot by 2 foot bench with peg board and tons of shelvs for storage and bench type work. It measures about 10 1/2 feet by 14 feet, then the other side where the build table will be is probably 14 by 25 feet. It's a whole heck of a lot more than I'm used to. I'll also be able to store all my planes somewhere else, not taking up half the shop. I'll post pics when it's ready. Right now it's just a big mess. I hope to get back to the build by this time next week. Or sooner.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:16 PM
flyingagin

That is good Steve
I have not even started to set anything. It will only consist of my build desk and a tool bench on casters. And some place safe to sit the 2 active builds and something to fly. I doubt I will even try to fly till next year and then I want to join up with David aka Cub Flyer Fresno.
I may try to bandit fly a CL in the park next doors. Perfect for that and small electric. I don't have any electrics though. This area of the city of Modesto is nearly abandoned by the city so I can likely get away with a CL or small electric.
Looking at a Harbor Freight rolling cart for $40 that I could put a proper top on for bench top tools or a wooden bench for $ 29 at Home Depot that I could mod to make a good tool bench. Three tools to go on. My drill press in the middle and on either end my band saw and sander. And maybe my 7x 19 metal lathe on a sliding shelf under the drill press. That still gives room for drawers. Also need to mount a vice or 2 to the tool bench.
Also have the thought that I could sit up one or even both ends to rotate 180 Degrees and add an extra tool. Obviously I would have to fasten the tools down.

The thought is absolute minimum room in my mothers garage and very easily portable. I think in about 4 months we will be ready for a place of our own. Thinking about Sonora,Ca. it is about 50 minutes away and at 1900 feet above all of the smog the valley has. The smog is really impacting my asthma badly. That leaves me close enough to take care of my mother weakly or more if needed, But far enough away to be good. A ton of unpleasant memories and feeling have come up from hiding in me, There was a lot of emotional and physical abuse from her. But she is my mother and I have a duty to take care of her. And forgive her even if she does not acknowledge or remember.

Was able friday to get a local Doctor. He is referring me to a neurologist and a neurosurgeon. He also renewed all of my meds including two that was a trail medication to see if that combo would bring down the nerve fire. It did mostly work. The thought of not having meds for the nerve pain had me knowing how a drug addict feels about finding there next fix.

And today I smoked a chicken. Hickory. Oh man was it good. It grill was an old Weber I used to BBQ in as a youngster. A little guessing and by golly it smoked up a storm for me ,,,,,,,, er well a chicken.

So all is good for now.

Ken
Old 11-08-2014, 05:41 PM
stevegauth30

You go from talking about drug addicts to smoking chickens. I thought chicken was a new drug. Lol. Good to hear your doing ok. My shop, for now, is being made from scraps and materials on hand. Can't afford to go out and buy much right now. But, it will be an improvement from the last.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:36 PM
flyingagin

Smoked chicken is a good drug for the belly for sure Steve.
Man I am with you on the can't afford new material. That is why I am looking at the cheap way of doing things for now
I know the move cost you some bucks and a new house. Use what you got or is cheap.
Hoping soon to be able to upgrade my old 72mhz radio to 2.4 Intent is install a FrSky module in place of the O.E.M. module. Futaba super seven. It was a great radio, but after the last fight the RX's started to become unreliable. So a $25 module and same for RX I should be safe to fly again.
Looking at the bottom line.

Ken
Post some pics of you shop build OK?
Old 11-08-2014, 06:42 PM
flyingagin

Man I am with you on the can't afford new material. That is why I am looking at the cheap way of doing things for now
I know the move cost you some bucks and a new house. Use what you got or is cheap.
Hoping soon to be able to upgrade my old 72mhz radio to 2.4 Intent is install a FrSky module in place of the O.E.M. module. Futaba 7uaf. It was a great radio, but after the last fight the RX's started to become unreliable. So a $25 module and same for RX I should be safe to fly again.

Ken
Old 11-09-2014, 06:28 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingagin
Hoping soon to be able to upgrade my old 72mhz radio to 2.4 Intent is install a FrSky module in place of the O.E.M. module. Futaba 7uaf. It was a great radio, but after the last fight the RX's started to become unreliable. So a $25 module and same for RX I should be safe to fly again.

Ken
Check around the local clubs, I just picked up a nice Futaba T7C for 50 buck's. There is always someone upgrading to a new one and unloading the old one, even if it was not old.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:49 AM
stevegauth30

I just saw a guy sell a really new DX8 yesterday for $100. Only a few months old. Not sure why he sold it.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:21 PM
flyingagin

There is always something shinier.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:14 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

back to the smoked chicken, how do you keep it lit? ;-)
Old 11-11-2014, 04:59 PM
flyingagin

Diesel fuel my friend, diesel fue. Nice and smoky. Just pour it in the chicken.

Ken
Old 11-11-2014, 05:04 PM
flyingagin

Went into ER Sunday evening. a lot of trouble breathing. and chest was real tight. Bunch of test NO heart attack or anything guys. Just had to redo a test. The dye did not get to where it was supposed to for the CT scan. Was hoping to go home today. But not likely. The IV bag to flush the dye still has a long way to go. ANd also waiting for the doctor report.

I am actually doing fine.

Ken
Old 11-11-2014, 06:33 PM
Carlos G

Hey Flyingagin,

Sorry to hear you got laid up and in the hospital. Hope it is nothing serious.

For what ever its worth I would stay away from diesel smoked chicken !

Sorry I couldn't resist...

Carlos G.

Last edited by Carlos G; 11-11-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:44 AM
FlyerInOKC

So how are you doing Ken? Did the diesel smoked chicken get to you?
Old 11-13-2014, 07:29 AM
flyingagin

I am doing OK now. Sure glad to be home.
I think this heavy smog had some part in it though.
It will be a few days before I smoke something again. But I am thinking Apple smoked pork this time.

Ken
Old 11-13-2014, 08:09 PM
Carlos G

Hi flyagin,

I always thought that apples had too much water in them to burn

Good to hear you are doing better

Carlos G
Old 11-13-2014, 08:49 PM
flyingagin

Thanks Carlos, Yeah but they are less toxic than diesel smoked. That really was just funning with Mike. Apple wood for the pork. But wife wants me to wait a few days. She is concerned about how the smoke may affect me.
I know she has my best interest at heart. She is the one that called 911 with me pleading with her not to. She loves me, I gotta wonder why sometimes.
Got some follow up appointments to keep and make. Already have one scheduled with the cardiologist.
In truth I think they will say I have good plumbing, Just had an precipitous oxygen drop which then sent my heart nuts. I think that is a DUHHH. The first night in the hospital I told them I require a CPAP. When I went to sleep without one the the heart monitor spooked the nurses. They woke me up and kept me awake till they could get me one, then things ran like a charm.

Ken

I have not even made an attempt to get set up to build yet, but it will come soon.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:57 AM
FlyerInOKC

Ken, I use a CPAP every night since I got my first one about 10 years ago. I never slept better, it makes a big difference in your energy levels. It also decreases your chances of developing heart trouble. My young brother and I are both on them. My youngest some had so much blockage in the nasal area he couldn't use one. He ended up having surgery. One nostril was 90% blocked the other one 100% blocked.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:32 AM
flyingagin

If I don't use The CPAP Mike I feel like the walking dead. But a night on the CPAP and I feel good. I was just surprised that after I told them I require a CPA that did not set me up on on. Well they believed afterwards.
The machined they had in the hospital was as loud as a 747 on takeoff. Holy smokes. Mine is quite. My old became quite after I did some mods to it.
The thing is what is quite to the user and what is quit to our spouse is an entirely different matter. But my wife has no problem with this one unless I curl up next to her.
It used to take me 30-45 minutes to fall asleep, now maybe 3-5. I won't even take a nap without now.
Going to look at back up powere for it. A 12v deep discharge battery and an inverter should work a charm.
Ken
Old 11-14-2014, 02:40 PM
stevegauth30

So, I'm at another point where I'm not so sure what I should do about these landing gears. These are way too heavy. I definitely don't think I needed 1/4 inch. and, a couple of the dimensions I came up with were too big. So my choices are this. Either scrap em and order new ones, or take off the material that needs to come off, and then lighten it as much as possible by removing as much material without weakening it as possible. Sometimes you can't see the forest from the trees, so I'm asking for opinions. Right now, I'm not sure of the exact weight of them, because the only scale available to me only goes up to two lbs, and there over that. Probably two and a half. The other reason I think I don't need 1/4 inch is that I've been checking out other scale planes at my club around the same size, and there all 3/16 or less. I quickly, and inaccurately, marked out the areas where I think I could remove. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	2047405  
Old 11-14-2014, 02:59 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At a quarter inch thick I would be cutting out the areas you have marked as well and use them.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:50 PM
stevegauth30

So you don't think that would be removing too much? At $70 I really want to use them. Thanks Robert.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.