Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

SOUTHWEST VINTAGE MODEL AIRCRAFT FESTIVAL July 31st to Aug 2nd

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

SOUTHWEST VINTAGE MODEL AIRCRAFT FESTIVAL July 31st to Aug 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 06:30 PM
tweedy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOUTHWEST VINTAGE MODEL AIRCRAFT FESTIVAL July 31st to Aug 2nd

[ATTACH]2102101[/IMG]

We have just formed a new Vintage R/C Society chapter (Iron Mountain Vintage Fliers),
sponsored by our local R/C club the (Cedar City Radio Control Club) and are holding our
first VRCS event on Friday July 31st, Saturday August 1st, and Sunday August 2nd for our
We want to extend the invitation to attendees to stay longer to enjoy what Cedar City and
our surrounding area has to offer. For example, there are several National Parks and
National Monuments nearby. Cedar City is about a 6-7 hour drive from both the Southern
California and Phoenix AZ areas. We are 2.5 hours from Las Vegas. There are numerous
options for lodging in town most offer very affordable rates. There are also plenty of
restaurants. Cedar City is also host of the Tony Award winning Utah Shakespearean Festival
so attendees would be able to take in a play, if desired, after a day’s flying or a visit to the
parks. The plays showing during our event are South Pacific, Taming of the Shrew, King Lear,
Henry the IV and Charley’s Aunt.

We have a small club with a rather unique flying site. As you may know, most of Utah is
BLM or National Forest land owned by the Federal Government. Our flying site is on BLM
land and contains a rather spectacular 48' X 700' asphalt-paved runway surrounded by sage
Junipers and pinion pines. The site includes a shade structure, a well-maintained Forest
Service toilet, a large parking area (overnight RV parking permitted...however there are
no hook-ups for power or water). We are at an altitude 5,800 ft. Summer daytime
temperatures are mild compared to lower elevations to the south. Winds tend to be quite
calm that time of the year, although we can get afternoon thunder storm activity.

Our flying field is a “national R/C resource” as it was built with club funds, an AMA
grant and BLM grazing fees. Added to that has been much volunteer labor and donated and
discounted materials for structures. Our club has a contract with the BLM for its use and
we are responsible for all the maintenance of the flying site. At the same time it is a
public facility, that is, anyone is welcome to use the field. AMA rules apply but AMA
membership is not required to fly (although it is strongly encouraged). AMA membership IS
required for our AMA sanctioned events. Among other events, our club is currently host to
an annual Pro Warbird race which has proved to be one of the most popular venues on the
tour. It is my hope that this VRCS event will be just as successful and that we will draw
pilots from the surrounding states. One thing that I can say with some confidence is that
those that come will want to come back every year. We will do our best to ensure that
happens.

Richard Browning
Cedar City R/C Club
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
rc festaval.pdf (1.61 MB, 30 views)
Old 06-11-2015, 08:26 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Richard, best of luck with the VRCS event. Nice to see new chapters forming - just wish I lived 1500 miles closer to all y'all.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:57 PM
ratshooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just joined the VRCS and was disappointed to find out there are no chapters near me. These guys fly just the kind of planes I like to build. I don't think I am going to make to your event but I sure hope you do a thread here with lots of photos of the models. You can find me on the members list. I am the only one in Burleson, Tx.

Last edited by ratshooter; 07-17-2015 at 05:02 PM.