Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Silk covering use

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 03:37 PM
rjmech
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silk covering use

I was just wondering if anyone still uses silk for covering and what not?
Tad
Old 11-04-2003, 03:45 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Silk covering use

Yep, Just finished up the Minnie Mambo prototype in silk and dope. Sig still makes several colors. It's just hard to see an old design in anything else.

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72463.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	72431  
Old 11-04-2003, 05:11 PM
Dsegal

If you are looking for an extensive explanation of how to use silk for covering see the October 1993 issue of Model Aviation. You can order a photocopy from the AMA Library. In reading the article, when I got to the 8th application of dope, I realized my marriage would not survive the smell in the house. Silk does look wonderful on vintage models but I have seen some planes with brittle covering over time.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:00 PM
jessiej

I was just wondering if anyone still uses silk for covering and what not?
Tad

Absolutely! Aside from the aesthetic appeal on old timers it contributes far more rigidity to the structure than the plastic stuff. It also is unbeatable for compound curves.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:01 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the problems with silk is that it deteriorates from exposure to sun. That is why it gets brittle,however, that is also the reason that a lot of the plastic coverings go south also. Moral is to bring a white cover for your model and use it at the field. Your coverings whatever they are will last a lot longer. Dennis
Old 11-04-2003, 07:17 PM
Mike Denest
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"If you are looking for an extensive explanation of how to use silk for covering see the October 1993 issue of Model Aviation. You can order a photocopy from the AMA Library. In reading the article, when I got to the 8th application of dope, I realized my marriage would not survive the smell in the house. Silk does look wonderful on vintage models but I have seen some planes with brittle covering over time. "

The article can be downloaded from the AMA website.

ORIGINAL: dennis

One of the problems with silk is that it deteriorates from exposure to sun. That is why it gets brittle,however, that is also the reason that a lot of the plastic coverings go south also. Moral is to bring a white cover for your model and use it at the field. Your coverings whatever they are will last a lot longer. Dennis
Fabric covering will deteriorate from ultra-violet light. However, you can spray a coat of silver prior to color. Silver will block the UV rays and your covering job will last a lot longer. However, if you want that translucent finish, then yes, keep the model out of direct sunlight.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:30 PM
jessiej

I have a monocoat covered Lazy Ace that has been stored out of direct light and it is quite brittle. I supose the moral is yo regard no covering as permanant. I have also, after years of research, determined that no covering exists which withstands contact with the ground at acute angles and high speeds.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:44 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jessiej, another thing that your plastic covering needs is humidity. If it dries out it becomes brittle. Take a humidifier into a room and put your model in it and see if it doesn't help your covering become a little more elastic.
Old 11-06-2003, 02:41 PM
mbiedul
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Silk covering use - old covering brittle

When the paint on silk or Dacron (Sig Kover-all or Stits) becomes brittle, there are some products made specifically to re-juvenate the dope. aircraftspruce.com that supplies full-size plane folks sells only gallons ($12 or $15 US, depending on whether you are re-juvenating nitrate or butyrate dope). Smaller quantities of probably the same stuff are available in regular size dope jars from Brodak. Actually, I have a small jar somewhere of the Brodak stuff if someone wants to try it....send me postage from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and it's yours. I wouldn't be surprised if Sig and the others have similar products. This stuff is supposed to restore the flexibility to the PAINT, which dries out over time. It won't do a thing for the silk or Dacron fabric itself, if that has deteriorated. There is also some stuff available for the poly-vinyl paint in the Stits system for Dacron fabric. I have really come to love the Dacron fabrics, by the way, because the shrinkage can be controlled so precisely. I built a glider many years ago, when I first got into that big soaring lightweight building, and used my old (1950's) method of putting wet silk on, doping the edges as adhesive. Well, it shrank great, like on my childhood control line models, but actually collapsed the structure! That's when I thought I'd give that new Monocote stuff a try....I can't speak for the rejuvenator stuff because my airframes rarely last very long - pilot error usually, not covering-system-specific failures if you know what I mean. -Mike
Old 11-07-2003, 01:58 PM
CurtD
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Silk covering use - old covering brittle

Back in my A&P days I used some dope rejuvenator on a Citabria and it worked quite well. As you say, it does nothing for the fabric underneath. On full-size aircraft, several coats of aluminum-filled dope are applied to the fabric after it's sealed with clear. The aluminum protects the dacron (or whatever is used) from the ultraviolet rays in sunlight and prevents it from deteriorating. We tend not to do the aluminum coat with our models to save weight, I think, but it would certainly make the fabric last longer. Ceconite will last many years if properly protected with aluminum dope, even if the A/C is stored outdoors.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:19 PM
kdheath

Hi Bob,
I take it you are using Sig silk. Have you tried Thaisilks' product? I want to order some, but don't know what to order.
Thanks,
Kelvin

ORIGINAL: BobHH

Yep, Just finished up the Minnie Mambo prototype in silk and dope. Sig still makes several colors. It's just hard to see an old design in anything else.

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
Old 11-08-2003, 08:07 PM
RCDENT
My Feedback: (2)

I'm flying an original Jensen Das Ugly Stik .60 built in 1969 and covered in silk and Randolph dope. It sat indoors for about 10 years (not in the garage). The covering is still nice and supple. No real problems. Silk and dope is great stuff. Not as light as plastic film covering, but usually much lighter than other types of painted finishes. One drawback is that it is not 100% raw fuel proof. If raw glow fuel is spilled on the surface and left to sit for a few minutes, it will sometimes spot the paint. Sometimes it can be buffed out. Not a real problem, you just have to be a little more careful. Adds a lot more strength to the airplane than plastic film, depending on the fabric used.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:02 PM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could it be possible for somebody scan that MA article and email or post it?
Old 11-18-2003, 05:50 PM
DICKEYBIRD

ORIGINAL: JeffH

could it be possible for somebody scan that MA article and email or post it?
Go to http://216.37.26.18/ama/searchform.asp AMA is the password, scroll down to "Browse Issue", pull up Oct. 93, go to page 34 - there you go!

Warning, do this at your own risk! Every time I go onto that site I end up browsing around at the old issues for hours & hours....all productivity stops.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:43 PM
BobHH

Kevin, sorry to take so long to reply. I just saw your post. I have not used the Taisilk yet. I have heard of it but do not know the particulars about it. The Sig silk works very well for me.

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
www.earlyrcmodels.com
Old 11-19-2003, 08:27 AM
Sport_Pilot

I ordered a yard of Taisilk that was recommended on the usenet. It was heavier than Sig Koverall, it's only good for gaint scale, too opaque for transucent dyed silk finish's.
Old 11-20-2003, 02:13 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From Thai Silks you can get 8 mm Hatori in colors and 5 mm Hatori in white. Both are heavier than Sig silk but lighter than Sig Koverall, from my measurements on a gram scale.

There are several threads on RCU. Here's mine, which includes weights of the silk and some other materials:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_64.../tm.htm#640912
Old 11-20-2003, 02:56 PM
kdheath

Bob, BB, thanks for the info. I haven't been too sure what to make of the Thaisilks website-it has sorta morphed and disappeared and reappeared. Believe I'll get some Sig silk. KISS, of course. That should throw the LHS guys guys for a loop, ordering silk. They'll curl their noses and ask, "What's THAT?"
Old 11-20-2003, 04:24 PM
BobHH

Yep Keith I get that sometimes at the swap meets. "How do ya iron that there silk on?" Or "is that clear shellac from Home depot on that wood?" I try to paint/color the display models the same as the original kits. If you remember many of Ken Willard's designs were clear dope over balsa with just a little bit of trim color. I just put the minimal amount needed to seal on the silk to keep it as light as possible. Watch out for some of those older dope cans. My Minnie Mambo tail silk on one side kind of globed up and did not lay smoothly as usual. A bit of thinner in the can straighten things out on the other surfaces but I can't get the clear to lay smooth on that side. Well just going to go out and fly it!! Yep, I will also get those comments "How does that thang go up without no elevator?"

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
www.earlyrcmodels.com
Old 11-21-2003, 07:45 PM
Tomsfal

Hi Guys
Iam trying to find Esaki Lightweight Silk any help would be greatfull.
Thanks Tom
Old 12-07-2003, 02:06 AM
Crayon

ORIGINAL: Tomsfal

Hi Guys
Iam trying to find Esaki Lightweight Silk any help would be greatfull.
Thanks Tom
You can try:

http://www.freeflightmodels.com/

Be forwarned that they may take some time getting around to process
your order.

Erik