Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Norseman

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 05:27 PM
gmd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Norseman

I am currently building a Scale 1936 Norseman from Unionville Hobbies. I'm in a dilema on what to cover it with. I have it all framed up, and it looks quite impressive with a 7 ft + wingspan. I don't want to use monokote or ultracote. I would like to use a fabric covering but want something that looks old, as I want it to be very scale looking. I have used 21st century fabric before, but not world tex or solartex. I am thinking about going with Solartex, but not sure where to buy it. I can't find it in the Horizon or Tower catalog. Any recomendations on what to use and what is the best covering for this type of project. I'm really wanting this to turn out nice and scale in appearence.

Thanks Much!
Gary
Old 01-07-2004, 06:44 PM
mangolo

Default RE: Norseman

You can obtain solartex from Balsa USA.Exelent covering material.
WALDO
Old 01-11-2004, 01:00 PM
kdheath

If you are set up to paint, use Sig Koverall and dope. Gives you the classic appearance of dope with the advantages of modern synthetic fabric. Koverall is really easy to use. Brodak dope is great, but expensive in quarter-scale quantity. Try Aircraft Spruce and Specialty for Randolph or Certified Coatings dope. Or a good, less-smelly alternative is the paint system that Jerry Nelson sells. It can be brushed with success.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:54 PM
Darren40
My Feedback: (2)

I've got the same Unionville Norseman and covered it with 21st Century fabric. Trying to get the fabric to work around the corners of the landing gear pods was frustrating. I wasn't happy with the colors I chose so removed the fabric and that's where it sits. I'd also be interested in a covering that gives the vintage look but is much more workable around tight corners.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:33 PM
milkman-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

I think the Koverall is some of the easiest to use covering. It can be applied around the corners and difficult area and then shrink to fit. I usually use Sig dope, but I am going to use latex and the Nelson clear topcoat on my current plane.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:11 PM
gmd

I am also having difficulty deciding on an engine for this plane. I would like to put a radial in it, but can't find the right size to fit in the cowl. I think a Saito 90 will be too small as it only puts out 1 hp. A saito 170 will not fit inside the 7.5 inch cowl. Any suggestions on where I might find the right fit. I'm also on somewhat of a budget, just ask my wife.

Thanks Guys!
Old 02-20-2004, 08:55 PM
gmd

Well, I have decided to go with Sig Coverall and dope for the covering. I want to thank everyone who has given me adivse on this project. I have received many emails from members that are interested in this plane, some whom are building the same one. I promised to attach some pictures showing my progress. I am about ready to start the covering process and will attach more when done.

Thanks and take care!

Gary
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84778.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	103223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21677.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	103224   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc77852.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	103225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99833.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	103226  
Old 02-28-2004, 01:22 PM
Darren40
My Feedback: (2)

Regarding power, check out thread "Just got back from Manitoba" in Seaplanes forum of RCU. qu1usn is flying the same kit on floats with a .72 Saito with "no problem". I've got floats on mine as well and already have a Saito 90, so will probably use it. You shouldn't need anything more powerful, especially without floats.
Let us know how the covering goes, mine hasn't made it back to the building table yet.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:44 AM
Smokin Cap
My Feedback: (49)

Looks like you did a great job putting it together!!! I am using a Saito 72 swining a 15X4 Zinger wood prop. Power is no problem.....I went with the large diamiter and low pitch because I wanted the most thrust and best breaking I could get. This plane floats forever and I needed the prop to give me some drag at idle. I flew it on wheels for awhile and before I changed props it just kept going down the runway. I only fly it on floats now. plane is going on 15 years old and still flys great.