Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

gregg in ohio

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 03:35 PM
gregg in ohio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gregg in ohio

please identify this engine, thanks gregg in ohio
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	15101_9937.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	9693  
Old 06-21-2002, 09:50 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default gregg in ohio

Kinda looks like a GHQ which had a head fin design like that.

John
Old 06-22-2002, 04:07 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default gregg in ohio

GHQ for sure. Not a very valuable engine, maybe $125 for a minty one...
Old 06-22-2002, 06:14 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Default gregg in ohio

The GHQ was a development of the Loutrel. The Loutrel was one of the VERY first commercial engines, goes all the way back to '36 or '37.
America's Hobby Center bought the rights to the engine and called it the GHQ. It was probably the MOST produced engine ever made, up until the fifties.
They offered it in kit form for only $4.95. It was the only engine that could be gotten, period, for a long time during the second world war. AHC had stocked up on strategic parts and materials before the war began, and the other engine manufacturers could not get materials to build engines.
Quality on these engines went anywhere from decent to really, really bad. If you got one made from a kit, it could be a real mess.
This engine got a really bad rap for being completely unrunnable, but AHC's Bernard Winston had a flat out-promise that he could make ANY GHQ run if they just brought it into his shop. As I heard it, he was never defeated by one of these.
I have heard that the reason nobody could get their GHQs to run is that it is ported for opposite rotation, so you needed a reverse prop and the instructions did not say that. Maybe nobody read the instructions?
I know that plenty of guys HAVE gotten them running. It's not a powerhouse, but it IS a useable engine. I have one, but I have not tried to fire it up.
It's not worth as much as other ignition engines because it was not a premium quality engine, and there were many, many made. You should get an ignition system and a reverse prop and fire the puppy up!
Old 06-22-2002, 06:28 PM
=XGC= OzZ

Default First we ask you to be polite and adult in your posting and replies.

General Forum Rules (post # 1)

RCU FORUM RULES

These rules are for your comfort and enjoyment while visiting our site, please follow them and we all will have a better time.

(1) First we ask you to be polite and adult in your posting and replies.

(2) Remember this is a message board for r/c topics. Topics dealing with other things like politics should be left for their respective message boards.

(3) Spam (more than one identical post) is not allowed at RCU and we ask you to please refrain from posting any.

(4) Personal attacks on an individual are not allowed at RCU. If you have a problem with another individual please use your email and not our forums.

(5) Attacks on a product or company are not allowed at RCU. You may relate a problem you had but please do not trash the product or company.

(6) Suggestive comments and foul language are not allowed
We reserve the right to edit your post if any of our rules are not followed.
(7) Commercial announcements are allowed only in our "Product Announcements & Manufactuer" forum.

(8) Avatars (small images under your posting name) should be in good taste and preferably RC related. No nudity, violence or overly suggestive graphics are permitted.

(9) Links to external sites from RCU may not contain nudity, violence or explicit sexual or inapproprate material. In other words this is a family friendly site so please keep it clean and fun.

If you do not like what some one is saying ,debate what they are saying do not attack the person.
Old 07-03-2002, 08:12 AM
Jagboy69

Default gregg in ohio

(4) Personal attacks on an individual are not allowed at RCU. If you have a problem with another individual please use your email and not our forums.

(5) Attacks on a product or company are not allowed at RCU. You may relate a problem you had but please do not trash the product or company.

We reserve the right to edit your post if any of our rules are not followed

I missed something here... AHHH I get it,... RcUni is being run by the bots.... I suppose anytime someone now refers to any corporation, hobby shop or manufacture it will pop up that message again.. :-( cant say anything these days without stepping on someones heart they stupidly attached to their shoe laces..... I didnt notice ANYTHING easytiger said to warrant the robots reply with rcuniverse's policy letter..... and now I am wasting my own time with this respose.... cool old engine.. call the smithsonian.. I bet they might be interested in it all cleaned up and tagged for display....... btw.. 5 bucks in the fifties?? That was alot of dough back then....
Old 07-03-2002, 09:52 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Default gregg in ohio

Jason, the post that was the problem was deleted, you missed it. No harm done...
Five bucks may seem like a lot of money back in the forties(this is a forties engine, nobody would touch one in the fifties, though they were still for sale), but it was about HALF of any other engine.
Old 07-03-2002, 09:55 AM
=XGC= OzZ

Default Jagboy69

Originally posted by Jagboy69

We reserve the right to edit your post if any of our rules are not followed

I missed something here... AHHH I get it,... RcUni is being run by the bots.... I suppose anytime someone now refers to any corporation, hobby shop or manufacture it will pop up that message again.. :-( cant say anything these days without stepping on someones heart they stupidly attached to their shoe laces..... I didnt notice ANYTHING easytiger said to warrant the robots reply with rcuniverse's policy letter..... and now I am wasting my own time with this respose.... cool old engine.. call the smithsonian.. I bet they might be interested in it all cleaned up and tagged for display....... btw.. 5 bucks in the fifties?? That was alot of dough back then....

reason this was posted was because, EASYTIGER
was getting attacked. There were other post that were aimed at him, I came to help ease the problems that were going on here.
I can understand what you are saying , but there was a lot more going on that meets the eye here.