Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Miss Tiny

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 12:36 AM
johnvb-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miss Tiny

About 6 months ago well known poster Ballgunner sent me a copy of the plans for Miss Tiny and the Ohlsson Pacemaker.

I finally started the Miss Tiny on the weekend and I thought I'd post progress, as much to goose me along as anything

Here are the wings and h.stab. I laminated the tips because I prefer that to the trad cut and sanded sheet.

I'm planning on using a 50's Enya .06 glow. Should be okay if I can get airframe light enough.

Currently the plan for covering is cream doped Airspan for wings and h.stab, and metallic green for fuse and fin/rudder.

JVB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68365.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	138308   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23228.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	138309  
Old 06-01-2004, 11:56 AM
ballgunner

Default RE: Miss Tiny

Hi John. Looks wonderful so far. The idea of laminating the tips is great. Wish I'd thought of it. The old way was just that because not too many people gave it much thought. When the Tiny first appeared we were all in the learning stage. Progress is always welcome. I'll be 80 in two weeks and I'm still learning. Makes me want to start another Tiny. It's such a nice flying airplane, both free flight and RC. Color scheme sounds good too. Keep the pictures coming.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:16 PM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also Like the laminated tips. I do this on all my planes. I use basswood and it then is VERY strong!
Old 06-01-2004, 07:34 PM
johnvb-RCU

Thanks Joe. I'll try to get as much progress as possible for your birthday. I'm having my 52nd next week, and I've learnt more and met more great people in the last 5 years of my serious involvment with this hobby than in the 20 years before.

Actually I was surprised that not many people in the Oz SAM movement know much about Miss Tiny. I've not seen one in 1/2a Texaco results, it's all Bombers, Dallaires, and Record Breakers. Maybe I'll start a few people building them around here.

Get started on the new Tiny!

Jim: what size basswood do you use to laminate, and on what size models? The tips on the Miss Tiny wing and tail were 1mm (balsa all metricated here in Oz now). I tried 1.5mm but the radii were a bit small.

JVB
Old 06-01-2004, 07:47 PM
Jim Finn

JVB: I use 1/32" basswood I buy in 3" wide pieces at the local craft store. I cut them to 1/4" wide (or less if needed). I laminate two or three of them with yellow carpenters glue while still wet from soaking for an hour in Windex. I have used this on 32" span tailess models and on 85" span scale models. Monoplanes and biplanes. (all electric powered). I would use 1/64" basswood if I could find it. The one in the photo is the vertical stabiliser on a 42" Mustang P-51

Name:	Ur52152.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	138615   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85666.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	138616   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21125.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	138617  
Old 06-01-2004, 10:41 PM
jessiej

Miss Tiny is such a great looking design! Please keep the photos coming.

jess
Old 06-01-2004, 11:38 PM
kdheath

I've even gone so far as to use model railroad basswood strips to laminate tips for rubber power models like peanut scale. This is some thin stuff.
ORIGINAL: Jim Finn

JVB: I use 1/32" basswood I buy in 3" wide pieces at the local craft store. I cut them to 1/4" wide (or less if needed). I laminate two or three of them with yellow carpenters glue while still wet from soaking for an hour in Windex. I have used this on 32" span tailess models and on 85" span scale models. Monoplanes and biplanes. (all electric powered). I would use 1/64" basswood if I could find it. The one in the photo is the vertical stabiliser on a 42" Mustang P-51
Old 06-02-2004, 02:51 AM
johnvb-RCU

Here's the fin and rudder.

Wow, 1/32 basswood! I've never seen it in our LHS, but I'll try the craft shop and the model railway oriented hobby shops.

JVB

Name:	Xv65712.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	138763  
Old 06-04-2004, 05:57 AM
johnvb-RCU

Fuselage sides

Name:	Jg14191.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	139392  
Old 06-06-2004, 02:32 PM
Jim Finn

Lone Star Balsa has 1/32" x3" basswood sheets
Old 06-07-2004, 02:38 PM
boberos

Hi all,

Perhaps someone could supply us with a little history about the 'Miss Tiny' design & designer.

One thing for sure. It has been documented as being flown with radio control in the 1950's. This qualifies it as a VRCS eligible design as it was flown with radio before the 1970 cut off date. I'll dig up the info & post later.

Good luck,
Bob G
Old 06-07-2004, 05:23 PM
johnvb-RCU

The SAM 600 website lists it as an Antique model, came out in 1937, kitted by Modelcraft. I'll have another look at the plan tonight but I don't think it says much about the designer.

Ballgunner and Bruce Matthews pobably know more.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:04 PM
fritzke

Plans?
[link=http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/misstiny.tif]Miss Tiny Plans[/link]
Dave
Old 06-07-2004, 10:27 PM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi All,

Greetings from sunny and hot Florida.

For Dave F. above, I have listed in my kit collection inventory a 90% complete kit of the Miss Tiny, which I acquired at a club auction back in '95, and have listed as the Manufacturer: Modelcraft Flying Models. Unfortunately, most of my kit collection in is Arizona, and I wont be back there until Fall. I am positive that there are plans with this kit. Best regards to all from the 13 miles of golden sandy, but dangerously 'Thong' invested beach of Manasota Key, Englewood, Florida,

Joe Nagy.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:33 PM
fritzke

Hey Joe,
We get mosquitos, you get thongs.... seems unfair.
Anyway, my post is actually a link to the Miss Tiny plans, in tif
format, a scan of the plan I got from Dick Gleason. So anyone
can save it to a disk and take them to Kinkos or get "tileprint" (search the forums on this)
and make a mosiac plan from 8 1/2 x 11 sheets.
Reminds me, I need to send BipeFlyer $$ for that wonderful little program of his.
Dave
Old 06-10-2004, 07:19 PM
Joe Wells-delete

Miss Tiny was kitted by Barney Snyder of Modelcraft in '37. Most of the models built at that time were flown with either an Ohlsson .23 or a Trojan .23. I knew Barney he was also a member of the Gas Model Airplane Association of Southern Californis (GMAASC) Some of the other members you may have heard of. Irwin Ohlsson, The Bunch Brothers, Bill Atwood, Hal Atkins, he made the Trojan .23, and some others I can't think of right off. Barney was rumored to copy plans from wherever he could get them. A similar model appeared in Model Airplane News in '35 or '36. The resemblance to the Ohlsson Pacemaker is remarkable to say the least. I knew Barney and the rest of the club but was just the kid in the corner who everyone helped. I got along well with Barney. He was just another guy trying to make a living during the depression.
Post WWII another modeler and I were making kits for control line. It soon became necessary to eat an make house payments so we sold to another small time parts maker who may have sold out Barney. In any case I saw an advertisement for Modelcraft for one of my original designs. When we were manufacturing we bought wood from Barney. Might be one reason we folded. It was list plus tax with Barney. Nothing changes the fact that the Miss Tiny was one of the most successful kits from Modelcraft.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:18 AM
johnvb-RCU

A bit more progress.

BTW, Happy Birthday Joe!!

Name:	Rp43487.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	143420  
Old 06-15-2004, 01:40 PM
ballgunner

Brings back very fond memories. Your modeling skills show off well. Note that you did the curved bit on the upper stringers by the trailing edge. Never could make up my mind about why they weren't just straight but they do add something. Keep the good pictures coming. Makes an old man feel younger. Despite of the passage of years I'm still a very active builder but being referred to as an intermediate pilot is a compliment. My RC sailing skills put me in the expert class only because I've never sunk or crashed a sailboat yet. They do move slowly as I think.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:45 PM
johnvb-RCU

A bit more progress. Side and bottom stringers, cowl rough cut from an exercise drink bottle. Since I decided to go with an Enya .09 rather than the .06 I've been a bit more free with the timber. Next job is the front deck and window frames.

Name:	Wu59616.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	148298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86467.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	148299  
Old 06-28-2004, 04:00 PM
ballgunner

Thanks again for the nice pictures. Glad you found a solution to the cowling problem. I tried one of papier-mache after reading an intriguing article in a magazine. All it made me do was give up reading articles about "why hasn't anyone tried this". If I do get started on another Tiny after my airboat and Fokker D-VII are done I think I'll try fiberglas. If I can find the right sized soda bottle I'll take the easy way out. Congratulations. Excellent work.
Also thanks for the B'day wishes. Since I started in 1934 it's been a jolly road trip nd I'm still learning.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:02 AM
johnvb-RCU

A bit more progress. Not shown are the windscreen cut out of a Coke bottle, and side windows cut out of a chocolate box. The tank cover was eaten by the dog

Name:	Ec88817.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	162993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40108.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	162994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx63074.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	162995  
Old 08-12-2004, 06:06 AM
johnvb-RCU

Cousin It, the balsa muncher who ate the tank hatch cover.

A couple of mates of mine are building quarter scale Sopwith Pups. I might see if they'll let her be the test pilot....

Name:	Om32860.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	162996  
Old 08-12-2004, 03:08 PM
ballgunner

Still a beautiful airplane and you are doing it very well. I love dogs but have never had one eat any part of my aircraft. If they had I would probably have forgiven them. Even knowing that they are not even faintly aware of why they shouldn't eat balsa I would worry more about the dog than the parts. I can get more wood but replacing a part of the family is emotionally draining. I still miss my last pooch and she's been gone some years now. Not able to have one now. No fenced area.
I finished my airboat and am about to start the Fokker D-VII. Got the scale documentation a couple of days ago. let us know when the Tiny is airborne and how it flys. Must be tough during the winter. We don't have one in Arizona, at least not enough to prevent flying almost any day. Let's hear it for WWI scale.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Lordofthewings04

Hey chaps, it's been a while since anyone posted on this thread; are you still out there ? After 16 years on my "pending " pile I have started building my Miss Tiny, having acquired an Ohlsson 23. Before progressing further I could use some advice. Most of my experience of sparkies is with big models (7ft span and a Super Cyke) so I'm worried about all the extra weight of the ignition gear (a 6 ounce differential) compared to the lightweight British diesels or even an old Frog 175 ign that I could also use. Anyone have any flying reports using various different engines ? Thanks !
BTW no probs with the cowl, I obtained one in spun aluminium but that was in 1996........

Name:	fd92093.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	635.7 KB
ID:	1418056  
Old 04-14-2010, 07:13 PM
CoosBayLumber

I am doing the MISS TINY, by Modelcraft as per the Model Builder plan. It looks about same, but different than the rubber version too.

I am powering mine via an elderly Enya .15 glow engine, type 3303.

Model craft seemed to have officially gone out of busness about 1961, as per some paragraph in an older magazine. In a few of their latter advertisements, they showed the Miss Tiny in picture but mentioned the specifics on the larger Pacific Ace.

Wm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.