Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Vic's Phantom!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 11:24 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vic's Phantom!

Just picked this up on ebay, it's a gem. Anybody know anything about it, maybe a date?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	17682_252.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	11383  
Old 07-19-2002, 01:42 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Default Phantom Date

I think that this plane was produced in 1968 as the Phantom I plans were first seen at this time. There were two "Phantom" airplanes during the 60's. The first was Zel Ritchie's design that went from Phantom I thru IV and then the Phantom that you have. Sorry, I can't remember who designed that one. Hope this helps.

Deadstik
Old 07-21-2002, 04:05 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Default Vic's Phantom!

THanks so much! It looked to be late sixties. Beautiful kit. Preskinned foam wings, lanier-style, and a beautiful glass fuselage. Will get a Goldhead 60, if I can find a decent one.
I have seen another Vic's model, the Victour, but it was all-balsa.
Old 07-21-2002, 03:12 PM
Frank Schwartz
My Feedback: (1)

Default Vic's Phantom!

Could this be a Vic's Custom Models kit? I have one of his 9 foot Aronca Champ kits ready (after all these years) to cover. I do know Vic made a number of kits and showd them at the Toledo show many, many years ago when it was at the Mud Hen stadium place. I suspect he has passed away or out of the business by now. Only old grumpy old timers like me seem to hang around.
Old 07-21-2002, 03:24 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Default Vic's Phantom!

Yes! Vic's Custom Models!
Tell us more about Vic!
So far, that's THREE Vic's kits! What is the Aeronca like?
I'm a grumpy YOUNG man, meself.
Old 08-05-2002, 07:25 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Vics Custom models

The ultimate Vic's Custom Models product is the Hawk P6E. This was a magnificent kit that was almost dead on scale. At the time it was over $200.00 so it was never highly produced. Sorry to say I had one and sold it a few years ago for lack of time. This had a fiberglass fuse to die for and was a first class kit.
Old 08-10-2002, 01:15 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Default Vic's Phantom!

Whoa. I have to find one of those. That's FOUR Vic's kits, all intersting ones, too.
The P6E, never even heard of it. Anybody got a pic or an ad for it?
The Phantom is almost done. Just waiting on the engine.
I got smart and made up two removeable radio trays. I can test the plane with a modern radio, and then fly it later with the vintage OS one.
Old 08-30-2002, 06:21 PM
Ken Morano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vic's Phantom!

Holy Cow! I didn't think I'd ever see anything about Vic's custom models! I left the R/C Hobby in 1972 (but I'm getting back into it). It must have been in about 1969 or 70 that I was at an R/C trade show and saw a Vic's Sono-Jet (I thnk that's what it was called). It looked a lot like the Phantom you have. I remember it was the first fiberglass body we saw. I didn't even know what kind of glue to use to secure the servo rails - 5 minute epoxy just broke free. I eventually used silicone caulking - hey it worked! It was beautiful plane - bright orange fuselage. I wish I could say it flew as good as it looked, but that was probably half my fault. I didn't know how to apply a skin over styrofoam so I sheeted it first with balsa. That, and the fact that the fuselage must have been 3/16 inch thick cause it to weigh in at 13 pounds. My 61 Webra Blackhead was able to pull it around though.

Wow, thanks for bringing back the memories..........
Old 09-04-2002, 02:45 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Default She flies...

Flies very well...

Name:	24385_252.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	11384  
Old 09-04-2002, 10:41 PM
Mike 1
My Feedback: (9)

Default Vic's Phantom!

Hey,
Is that my old/new engine finnally being put to good use?
As far as the Phantom goes,it looks a LOT like some older Laniers.
Congrats on the successful test flights EASY!
Mike
Old 09-04-2002, 10:58 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Default Vic's Phantom!

Hey, have they sent you the Firecat yet?
The Goldhead 60 runs great! I had an unfortunate accident, though, on the third flight. I had put a pressure tap into the muffler, and it worked it's way out. I flew out the rest of the flight without noticing anything wrong, and when I got it down, it had gone lean and the head is no longer nice bright shiny gold. Drat. Still runs like a champ, though, it was not THAT hot.
I have put half-a-dozen flights on it. Flies like a vintage pattern plane. I just made up a new rudder for it, the old one was too small and totally ineffective. I flew it with a modern radio, then installed a vintage OS radio, but did not fly it with the OS. I did not have the time at the VRCS Reunion to play with this plane. I just removed the OS and put the modern radio back in, and will get some flying in on it this weekend. Since this pic, I molded a new canopy and installed it, and cleaned up the appearance in general.
It is very lanier-like. The wings are foam covered in plastic, just like lanier, but the control surfaces are wood, and the fuse is glass. The seams on the fuse are covered with white electrical tape. I made one bad decision, though, when I built it. I glassed and painted the control surfaces, and they do not match the bright white plastic wings very well. Monokote would have been more appropriate...
Old 09-16-2002, 06:22 AM
Mike Denest

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vic's Phantom

Nice job Curtis! Now if someone can pull out the Vic's 1/4 scale Great Lakes kit out of their back pocket....<G> BTW, does anyone remember the Dee Bee Stinger? It was manufactured by Don Brown after his radio equipment was falling out of favor for the then new fully transistorized proportional radios from Orbit, Kraft, EK, etc.

Fly Vintage!
Old 09-17-2002, 02:24 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Default Vic's Phantom!

Sure! I had a stinger kit, at some point, along with a DB Mirage, and one more. Just like a Lanier kit, in all respects...
Old 09-20-2002, 03:33 AM
Ken Morano

Default Vic's Phantom!

Here's another Vic's Custom Model I picked up at a show in White Plains NY about 1970. It was called thew Sono-Jet:

Name:	26816_13723.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	11385  
Old 11-28-2002, 05:24 PM
Zel

Default Re: Phantom Date

Originally posted by Deadstik
I think that this plane was produced in 1968 as the Phantom I plans were first seen at this time. There were two "Phantom" airplanes during the 60's. The first was Zel Ritchie's design that went from Phantom I thru IV and then the Phantom that you have. Sorry, I can't remember who designed that one. Hope this helps.

Deadstik
Hi,

Zel Ritchie here.

I ran across the above post. If anyone is interested I will be glad to furnish some details on my "Phantom".

Sincerely,

Zel
Old 02-11-2006, 01:07 PM
softshell29

Default RE: Re: Phantom Date

zel, we are building an early rc museum and would like some info from you.you are one of the stars of the collection as a proportional pioneer.you can best reach me at 216 371 5136