Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Gummed up motors

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 09:23 PM
old git

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gummed up motors

Have i found the "Holy Grail" or just the "Universal solvent" for gummed up motors? Like many of you I guess I have a fair collection of motors that have lived in a drawer for years. When they are brought blinking into the light they do not turn. Handling one of these "patients" I thought of the car (automobile) carburettor and auto choke cleaner I used to use when I worked on cars myself. It comes (in UK) in an aerosol can which contains Alcohols and Ketones. The smell reminds me of Methyl ethyl ketone. To cut a long story short, it was very effective, better than glow fuel (Methanol)
Old 07-16-2004, 10:25 PM
kdheath

Default RE: Gummed up motors

Disassemble and hot soak over night in 50-50 water-antifreeze in a $7 WalMart crock pot. Brush a little if needed, rinse, dry with hot air (oven?), oil with air tool oil, and test run. Use the air tool oil for afterrun oil and they won't freeze again. Don't put plastics and rubber in the crockpot and be careful with antifreeze around small living things. Works great.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:52 PM
The Ghost

Disassemble and hot soak over night in 50-50 water-antifreeze in a $7 WalMart crock pot.
And never use the crock pot to cook food again.

Cheers.

Remember Always look after the ORGANIC part of the model.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:32 PM
jessiej

[And never use the crock pot to cook food again.]

The stuff seems to be increasingly popular as a murder poison. Another recent case where the wife mixed the antifreeze with fruit juice. Evidently it has a sweet taste which is why it is such an insidious poison with pets and children. It takes only a tiny amount.

jess
Old 07-18-2004, 10:51 PM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have mixed emotions about the crock pot ,messy ,takes too long & eats up the gaskets & "O" rings . I have best luck with a heat gun & gloves or if that don't work after a couple of cycles I use a LPG torch . That has yet to fail me . I use Zip-strip paint remover to clean them & then scrub with soap in hot water then spraying down with WD-40 (only thing it is good for ) . MAX H.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:40 PM
old git

ORIGINAL: jessiej

[And never use the crock pot to cook food again.]

The stuff seems to be increasingly popular as a murder poison. Another recent case where the wife mixed the antifreeze with fruit juice. Evidently it has a sweet taste which is why it is such an insidious poison with pets and children. It takes only a tiny amount.

jess
I recall that French and Italian wines were found to contain Anti-Freeze with the purpose of sweetening it. I think it was four or five years ago but I have trouble recalling the exact passage of time.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:17 PM
multimike

All I ever use is to put the them in a pot of hot water containing almost any automatic dishwasher soap, leave them in there for a few hours and it takes off 90% of the gunk wash them well with methyl alcohol, I remove the backplate to make sure no moister inside I use a polish named Mothers available at auto stores, it makes them look better than new, finally fill them with ATF Mike