Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

DeBolt aircraft

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 09:06 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DeBolt aircraft

KC......

Here is one of the questionable pictures of an Interceptor Mark two from a late 1964 edition of American Modeler magazine. Note the variations in painting from fiberglass version.

But I have old note written that says original was mostly white with red trim. Which version of prototype I dunno also. My thought is that according to an old article, he used to make numerous "Prototypes" of one A/C and you thus may have the option of selecting with paint job suits your interests.

Wm.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20345.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	935700  
Old 04-24-2008, 04:29 AM
kc2jk310s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CoosBayLumber Thanks for note and picture. I remember that picture (i'm an old guy). The fin and rudder are swept more than the original plus the leading edge of the stab APPEARS to be swept.The original article published in M.A.N. shows what appears to be a white fuse trimmed in a dark color. Not knowing what the color was i went with his 5 scheme. It was entered in the concours event at a VR/CS meet and it was shot down because it was a One done up as a 5. I talked to Hal about 2 years before he died Asking if he had a plan of the original, he said no but he wished he had kept a plan. I neglected to ask him the color scheme. Hank kc2jk310s
Old 04-24-2008, 10:38 AM
CoosBayLumber

I think you are correct. In last talking to Hal (couple years ago before one Christmas) he was surprized to hear that a actual original plan to the Interceptor Two plan survived. Unless the A/C was popular or generally available over some counter, then every one suspects it to be phoney somehow. We had the AMA Librarian verify that many of our plans were indeed originals (Hal sighed in pencil most of them) and that certain data conflicted with their file copies. Especially on the P-39/P-63 fuselage. They then went on to some draftsman and got printed via offset methods, and folded into some kit or sold.

In the late 1970's he was having troubles with DMECo and the wife. No one wanted his products (nor the wife) but they sure liked his head and ideas. He sold the plans and drafting table to a Canadian for $10 at bank auction.

The plans we got have many-many variations from that as kitted, or shown off in some magazine. Have found five variants of the DMECo Viscount so far, and may be more. Three variants of the DeBolt Special now. Thus I figure there must be an equal number of original Interceptor's out there too, all with same title. In 1966 article he mentioned a talk with Princeton University. I think this was earlier than let on to be. He had lottsa time to figure out the concepts of the original Interceptor by then. May have made 5-10 prototypes too, for every plan seems to be dated in October. Original inked plan of the Interceptor went to M.A.N. as was usual then. They then retraced it, and added details, including their numbering system. May be even a couple of very minor variations on it too.

Wm.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:03 PM
kc2jk310s

CoosBayLumber, Thanks for the information. the more you get into Hals' designing the more fascinating it becomes. One of the things he mentioned when i talked to him was the original Interceptors' ability to ignore a crosswind. I found that to be true with mine, it literally was unaffected by a reasonable crosswind. Several people have said they had a fish-tail problem at high speed but even when i powered mine with an OS 61 FX i never saw that. I felt the 61 was too much power and unnessary so i switched to an OS 46 FX and found that to be fine. I had to add 3% differential to the ailerons and about 5% more down than up in the elevator to get the vertical and horizontal 8s to come out equal. Hals' airfoils were unquestionably ahead of their time. Hank
Old 04-24-2008, 03:01 PM
CoosBayLumber

The O.S. engine you selected is about perfect. A 61 to way too much power.

I gotta dig through my resources and find that article about the Interceptor series Hal wrote in 1966. I think he had selective memory in it all.

Wm.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:07 PM
CoosBayLumber

I located a (poor) copy of the article as back when on the Interceptor serices. If you go to enclosed link you can download a TEXT version of it (this for our Mac friends too).

Download at:
http://www.mybloo.com/coosbay/eBay/untitled.txt

It leads you to beleive on thing and yet it says another.

Wm.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:20 PM
kc2jk310s

CoosBayLumber, In the text you gave me the site for, Hal talks about the dihedral to vertical fin area may have had something to do with the fish-tail. I took most of the dihedral out when i built mine, I wound up with about 2 inches total (1 inch under each tip rib). It was pretty obvious when a friend sent Hal the picture that there was very little dihedral. Hal wrote "nice rendition, Hank" and he signed it and sent it back. Now that was neat. Hank
Old 04-24-2008, 08:40 PM
CoosBayLumber

You sure got me on the fishtailing biz....

For I got yet another article which says to reduce fin size some and to increase the dihedral angle to steady it some. By yet another expert of that era.

Wm.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:29 PM
Will Sgarlat

Here are some pics of a deBolt "Live Wire" Caudron kit that I bought in the mid 1980's in old but excellent shape at the local hobby shop. I'm trying to find out how old the kit is and if it's considered rare. Any ideas?
I could get one pic out of 3 due to file size...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83832.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1764428  
Old 08-16-2013, 12:48 PM
11frank17

Do you have the plans for Hal's COBRA II? I believe it was kitted by DEMCO in 1968. I have tried AMA plans service that is supposed to have it but no luck finding it. I would like to purchase a set of plans, download in pdf or cad format. Please let me know.
Thanks
Charles Hower
Old 08-17-2013, 05:51 AM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

This link is for a video of Hal flying in 1957 (18 seconds into the film)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OkJfP6ZDeA