Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Chet Lanzo Bomber Build

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Chet Lanzo Bomber Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 12:58 PM
markdam
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chet Lanzo Bomber Build

HI I purchased a Lanzo Bomber short kit and plans from Bob Holman at the AMA show and would like all and any suggestions. This is my first oldtimer build and my first short kit build. I have built a number of planes but usually from full kits. It will be RC not freeflight. ANY help would be appreciated and i plan on taking pics along the way and posting them. also i know this may be a silly question but is there a building guide anywhere for this plane?
Old 01-10-2005, 03:57 PM
johnvb-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Chet Lanzo Bomber Build

Have a look at this site:

http://www.antiquemodeler.org/Buildabomber.htm

I've built the 1/2A version and I have a few SAM friends who have built the larger sizes so I can help if there are specific questions.

regards,
John

EDIT: Sorry, I just noticed the other thread that pointed you to the Tandy Walker site. Still happy to try and help. I don't know of a building guide for this model.

The article on the Lanzo Record Breaker at http://www.theplanpage.com/Months/2107/lrb.htm might help for the fuselage. The pylon mount is different than the Bomber tho'.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:09 PM
markdam

thanks! I appreciate all the help I can get being a sport/giantscale/arf RC guy im very much looking forward to building this oldtimer. Its an honor to try to uphold what makde this hobby and that is/was freeflight. I have very little experience with freeflight but im learnig as i go!! this model will be for R/C anyway but its design roots are in freeflight . I have an surpass .70 id like to use mainly for the sound than the power im sure full throttle wont be needed any comments? suggestions? please post
Old 01-10-2005, 09:08 PM
dicknadine

i would suggest that you connect the OLD TIMERS organization and get all the INFO from them, including plans, lists of fellows who have built and flown this plane in contests. the specific name and location???. dick
Old 01-10-2005, 09:13 PM
dicknadine

just ran across a post just below yours in the index, which said basically the as mine, only with GOOD specifics. goodbuilding sucess to you. dick
Old 01-11-2005, 04:29 PM
johnvb-RCU

The OS 70FS will be heaps of power. The full size Bombers flown in SAM Texaco competitions in Australia often sport OS 60FS open rocker engines. The Texaco comp is a limited fuel contest where you are allowed an amount based on engine size and type - 4str, 2str, sparky, or diesel. The 60FS open rocker is *very* economical, especially with a 16" prop. They are turning at around 5,000 rpm and have enough grunt to pull the model up quite high, depending on the prevailing air, on the miserly amount of fuel allowed.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:23 PM
markdam

excellent !!!!!!!! since this will be R/C should I change the dihedral or leave it as planned? ill be sure to not use all the .70 surpass has im only using it cause its the only Fourstroke i own in that range.... will sound so cool putting by at 1/4 throttle!!!...........

also does anyone know if there is a shopping list for the straight wood? i have the laser cut shortkit........ or do i just look at the plans and add up what i need?
Old 01-12-2005, 10:05 PM
CoosBayLumber

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Markdam....

Which version of the Bomber did you purchase. There are two. I worked on both. The main difference between the two versions is the amount of straight chord wing between the tapered ends. The version with the maximum flat section is the most preferred.

The Bomber can easily be overpowered. At 96 inches span, it may seem big, but resist the temptation for big power. Ricky Holman flew it with a very hot 45 and it took off near vertical at the Elk Grove event two years ago. A worn 45-60 swinging a big slow prop would have been much better.

Wm.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:23 PM
Gollywock

You can pick up a few tips here http://www.antiquemodeler.org/Buildabomber.htm - Jim
Old 01-13-2005, 02:08 AM
markdam

coos bay thanks i have the plans that show both wings ill be building the larger wing. i already own the .70 maybey ill sell it and find a smaller fourstroke. i do want a fourstoke as it will sound like the plane looks. thanks gollywock i saw that page it will be very helpful when i start building.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:45 AM
Strat2003

Bombers look funny with all that dihedral out at the tips, especially the long center section versions, but I'd advise against reducing it. They have lots of area in the fin/rudder and reducing the dihedral can cause spiral instability, not a good thing if you're way up high in a thermal.

As far as overpowering them goes, it all depends on what you want to do with the airplane. The SAM guys pack in as much power as the rules allow and the plane can take it (usually, lol) but it's certainly not relaxed flying in the climb.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:15 AM
markdam

well Although I learning about sam this will be flown radio control so i figure a FS .70 is like a 2S .60 like it calls for.....
Old 01-13-2005, 08:27 PM
CoosBayLumber

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back when it was first tried out at Elk Grove, Ricky built it using the smaller center section. He ran the engine on some very high nitro. It flew terrible vertically and engine would often quit. Then on last flight it was launched w/o radio turned on, and naturally it then flew good, but without control. It also nearly flew away.

Wm.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:07 PM
johnvb-RCU

In Australia most of the SAM flying is R/C. Bombers are mostly flown in Texaco comps where a whole heap of power means a whole heap of fuel, so you tend to go for as little power as will get the model high enough to glide around for a 10 minute flight. Personally I think your .70 would be fine for a full size Bomber, just go easy on the throttle.

I wouldn't deviate too much from the Bomber plan in regards dihedral or tail areas. The important thing with a bomber is getting the fuselage straight - build two sides one over the other, then cut the spacers *exactly* the same length to make it four sided. Check the straightness all the time as you go.

The wing is pretty straight forward and the seven (IIRC) spars make it pretty strong. The fun is in covering the undercambered ribs. There are other threads about how to do this. It depends a lot on what sort of covering you want to use.

Flying a Bomber is interesting. You tend to 'park' them into the wind. A bit like flying a kite with sticks to interfere with it. I have heard that they have problems recovering from a dive, possibly the elevator is masked, but I haven't experienced this myself. Landing, if there is any wind, tends to be like a helicopter, almost no roll out.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:47 AM
markdam

Thanks John!!!! very informative! I will take care to build her straight!!!! i need to open up the plans and make a shopping list soon and go to the balsa store. Im covering her in nelson lite fab http://nelsonhobby.com/covers.html great stuff lite and looks great this plane deserves fabric I bought antique white/beige and a dark antique looking blue