Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

ELF or Quaker?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 11:40 PM
jhunter
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ELF or Quaker?

Hello all, I have an urge for an old timer and really like the Elf Bipe or the Quaker Flash, I figure if I removed some of the dihedral from the Elf,ailerons in the top wing should be effective to make a good flying and classic looking bipe. A quaker is really tempting also, I have flown a large one and it was amazing, dead stick it must have taken 15 min to come down from 400', and a dead stick go around at 10' to kill alt was a blast! I do have a YS 53 that needs a ship and also a OK 60 ignition motor from my grandpa that could be used. It is just the eng with the points on the back, don't exactly know what else it needs to run, coil etc or where to get the parts. Don't mind scratch building, kits or short kits are OK too, Any ideas on good plans, kits etc? Got some to sell? etc, thanks.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:58 AM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ELF or Quaker?

jhunter,

Check out Bob Holman plans. Very nice laser-cut short kits. Also check Klarich Kits. Thay have a large selection. If you want to build an OT plane, these sites will get you started well.

papermache
Old 10-06-2005, 07:01 AM
GoldenAge

I have a Beb Buckle Quaker Flash and it is a joy to build and fly.....

http://mysite.verizon.net/psjustis/Qflash.htm

Penn Valley Hobbies sells the Quaker in a 56" and an 84" wingspan. I have the 84" version that built up very well and is now nearly ready to fly.

http://www.pennvalleyhobbycenter.com/

Bob Holman has a very nice laser cut short kit of the Quaker Flash as well.

http://www.bhplans.com/mrch8/oldgaspg3.htm

Good luck,

Scott
Old 10-06-2005, 09:26 AM
Mike Denest
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Elf Biplane Senior: RC Redesign of Ehling’s 1937 FF biplane, 3- or 4-ch. RC, .29-.40 power. 2 sheets. 60" span, published in Model Aviation August 1984. It is designed with ailerons. It would also make a great electric conversion.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:20 PM
jhunter

Scott, beautiful airplane and build along, looks great! I ordered the Elf plans from AMA and tried to access the Klarich kits page but it and the Penn Valley are both Tango Uniform, just tried sending them e-mail. Thanks everybody.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:52 AM
GoldenAge

Thanks jhunter,

Good luck with your new project and please post some pics here when you git er' done

Scott
Old 10-13-2005, 01:18 PM
jhunter

OK, I found a better ship for me, kinda like the Quaker just a little boxier and rugged looking. Go to rcstore.com, plans, old timers and page down to the "Old-Timer SATYR" a 1943 Czech design that has been reworked to 3 channel R/C assist. Very nice design, reminds me very very much of one my grandfather built in the 40's and let me destroy as a kid in the 50's. This has a 65" wing and the forward landing gear Quaker style. Check it out, there are several other old timer plans there as well.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:22 PM
jhunter

One more thing, I never did rec replies from Klarich kits or Penn Valley hobbies, waited over a week. Are they still in buisness?
Old 10-13-2005, 03:47 PM
Dsegal

Penn Valley Hobbies is definitely in business; try telephoning them. But Klarich is shutting down and selling out his stock of kits and the business is up for sale.