Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Spacebug disassembly?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spacebug disassembly?

Can anyone give me the specifics on taking a Cox Spacebug apart, particularly the tank? I have the jug and crank case off, but can get the tank assembly apart, it's soaking in fuel right now.

Thanks in advance,
Jetts
Old 02-18-2006, 05:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Spacebug disassembly?

It's been more than 50 years since I took one apart. I vaguely remember there is a venturi cover on the back of the tank that has to be unscrewed to take the tank apart. Is this right?
Old 02-18-2006, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spacebug disassembly?

Yes! You are right Jim.

I let the whole works soak in fuel and it all came right apart. I was puzzled at first as to why the fuel pick up is on the side of the tank, but then it was pointed out to me by an "expert in these matters" (thanks Owen) that this engine was originally for control line and thus the fuel was "slung" out to the side of the tank. I am going to mount it with the pick up pointing down......

The reed valve on this thing looks to be very robust.

I'm not syure if it has the original "small thread" head or not, but the head has plier marks on it so I guess it doesn't matter. I'm probably going to change out the head and jug for a newer, readily available one anyhow.

Thanks again Jim.