Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 11:55 PM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

Now if we only knew how much to send
Old 06-05-2007, 05:20 AM
damifino

HUGHES- I sent you a PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:15 AM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: damifino

The tee shirts have been ordered and the printer says they will do 'em Thursday. I've ordered a few extras just in case. Hopefully we'll be able to ship them out on the 11 th or 12th of June (yeah, yeah, this year).

WOW I like it!! Kind of looks like my 33% YMF5 "MissLinney" Glad I ordered 2
Waco Brotherhood #46
Old 06-05-2007, 11:01 AM
skylarkmk1

Ken and the Wing Tip Worriers,

I went up to the Airport on 2 June, examined and took photos of the YKS and UPF-7 wing tips. As each wing was handcrafted, minor variations in tip shape can be expected and close inspection of the wing tips of most Wacos would reveal that all four tips are slightly different. YKS photos are bare and covered, UPF-7 are Dk. Blue/Lt. Blue (lower left wing tip and uppeer right wing tip).

Bottom Taper - Along the trailing edge of the wing in the aileron bay, the Aileron Spar (W-13) starts to taper about halfway between W-6 #3 and W-6 #4 (I now call W-6a) (picture 1). The main Front and Rear Spars start to taper at W-6a.

Top Taper – The taper starts at W-7 to the tip at the Rib high point with the Top of W-8 about ½†lower than W-7 and the Top of the Wing Tip about ¾†lower than W-8 (picture 2). Measurements are for full size (see photo). Follow the ½†square stick -Note that W-6a has a spacer under the top of the rib, W-7 has a cap strip and W-8, the stick is attached directly to the rib. This slight taper make the upper taper hard to see head on as the most visible part is in the forward portion of the wing (see wing tip end view, pictures 3, 4, 7).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38839.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	698085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31561.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	698086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13224.jpg
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	698087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78067.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	698088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82839.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	698089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61521.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	698090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61598.jpg
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	698091  
Old 06-05-2007, 01:13 PM
trlambsr

John
Super great pictures. Just what we needed. Great job. This will raise the bar on what the Model wing should look like. I Sent them on to Dany at Genesis.
TR
WACO Brotherhood. # 69
Old 06-05-2007, 04:09 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

Ken and the Wing Tip Worriers,

close inspection of the wing tips of most Wacos would reveal that all four tips are slightly different.
What, me worry?[sm=72_72.gif]

If all four of the full-size tips are different, mine is more scale than I thought

I got my smoke system working today, on the ground at least. The Righteous Brothers should have been singing during the test. The thing was smoking like a Yugo with a broken oil ring and bad valve guides. Looks like I can get about 3-1/2 minutes of smoke with the tank I have, more than enough, I think.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:07 PM
damifino

Just a note about the shirts.

I initially said they would be Hanes BEEFY-T's which are 6.1 oz. 100% cotton. What we are getting is better. They are Hanes Authentics Tagless Tees (no tag in the neck band) which are more comfortable. Same weight, same quality, same color, just 'more better' because there is no tag to tickle your neck while flying! Just leave that to the gnats and sweat bees!
Old 06-06-2007, 02:26 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

khodges, I do not recall the smoke setup you have. can you pls recap or direct me to the post describing it ? (couldn't find it)

Thanks, V.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:22 AM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

skylark

John, sent you PM
Old 06-06-2007, 09:35 AM
Nightstalker

Bill - Are you still with us??? Haven't seen you post (anywhere) lately. I know, you're probably selling "bowties" by the boat load... to pay for that brand spankin' new gee wizz 'puter. Hope everything's ok.

Out Here
Todd
WACO Brotherhood #47
Old 06-06-2007, 11:04 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm here, still having puter problems.

Bill AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 06-06-2007, 03:45 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: vasek

khodges, I do not recall the smoke setup you have. can you pls recap or direct me to the post describing it ? (couldn't find it)

Thanks, V.
It's a TME Simple Smoke. I think it's the Deluxe kit, came with neoprene and Tygon tubing, check valve, and control module. I mounted a 14 oz tank piggybacked over the fuel tank; the module plugs into an AUX channel on the Rx, and automatically cuts the battery out of the circuit (the pump battery) when the Rx is off. I still put a separate switch with a charge jack in the system so I could recharge the battery the same way as the Rx battery. Plumb the tank the same way as a fuel tank; I did a 2-clunk, 3-line setup, with the pump between tank and muffler. The DX-7 Tx has two switches that have trim pots and I have the smoke on one of them, which allows me to fine adjust the pump flow with the trim switch. The flow is adjusted by adjusting the endpoint of the channel, it speeds up or slows the pump. This pump will feed a 150cc engine, so I had to turn it way down, to the point it would barely run, so I added a restrictor in the line (a wheel collar around the feed line with a set screw that compresses the tubing) which allowed me to turn up the pump so it would run well. I can also fine adjust by using the set screw in the collar, but don't think I will, it's much easier using the Tx trim. When you first turn the system on with the Rx, the pump runs about 5 seconds and automatically primes the system, then stops. The check valve goes near the muffler end and only allows the oil to flow toward the muffler keeping exhaust pressure from forcing air back into the line when the smoke is off. I have a Slimline Pitts muffler, which has the smoke feed built in.

I'm using Super-Dri smoke oil, it's supposed to smoke at lower temps. I get very dense smoke from just off idle through full throttle, and the tank will last just over three minutes continuous running. It's possible to mix the smoke channel into the throttle to increase flow with increased throttle, but it's not necessary on the G-26, at least with my setup. I'll try it out this weekend and see how it does in the air.

I should have said that it smokes like a 1972 Chevy Vega with 20,000 miles on it. I don't guess the Master Chief was selling Chevs back then ,though.

The pic below shows where I mounted the pump, behind and below the tanks, just above the wing saddle. the pump is rubber mounted to the rail. The module is velcro'd to the fuse above the pump (out of view)

Name:	Om32660.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	698833  
Old 06-06-2007, 04:06 PM
Didg

Hi all,

Excellent thread, I've only just found it.

I'm curently talking to Dany from Genesis re a 33% YMF that will have a Moki 150 fitted.
Just wondering if any of you guys had flown this combo.

How much of an unhealthy obsession with WACO's does one need to have, to be part of "The Brotherhood".

Didg.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:03 PM
trlambsr

hi
Great plane to build. With the new parts it is even better. The kit is improving every day. Still has some minor problems but they are easily changed with scale pictures and a careful build. I have a DA 150 and it is way more power then necessary. I fly at slightly above 1/4 throttle. Unlimited vertical at just above half throttle.
TR
WACO Brotherhood # 69

Name:	Vt57946.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	698884  
Old 06-06-2007, 06:00 PM
skylarkmk1

Oh Heck TR, your pilot bailed on you.[sm=red_smile.gif] You really need a pilot in there
Old 06-06-2007, 08:21 PM
skylarkmk1

TR,

Even non-Wacos look better with a pilot. This pilot, Glen Peck, was giving the DH-4M2 a check ride after installing a new radiator for the Liberty 12 Cylinder Engine. The flight was a success, no leaks, no over heating, engine running fine, sounding like a half a dozen Harley’s. This plane is part of the Historic Aircraft Restoration Museum collection at Creve Coeur Airport.

Name:	Xv63018.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	698990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62966.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	698991  
Old 06-06-2007, 09:19 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: Didg

How much of an unhealthy obsession with WACO's does one need to have, to be part of "The Brotherhood".

That's a contradiction in terms, Didg, a WACO obsession is the healthiest kind. Consider yourself a member. The Master Chief (Stickbuilder) can give you a number, unless you have one in mind; just so it's past whatever the current membership is. You can look back and see the list somewhere. The Master Chief is having 'puter problems, his hard drive got soft, or something like that
Old 06-07-2007, 12:30 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: khodges

It's a TME Simple Smoke. ...
Thanks for the info khodges. Nice setup! I did consider buying the TME but finally bought the Sullivan Skywriter. It's my first smoke pump so I have no idea how much smoke oil i need, but your 14oz tank is huge! I was hoping to install a 8oz for about 6 min of smoke (i read it somewhere while researching the pump) I'm not sure if smaller engine needs less oil for the same effect (?)

Cheers, V.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:35 AM
trlambsr

Boy this is really getting over the top. This old marine Gunny can't even test his Biplane without a pilot. The pictures are old. They are from the early days and I was worried that the pilot was not checked out in the WACO so he stayed on the ground for static only. He is there now but don't have any pictures of him or at least I can't find them.
When you are over 70 things are a little slow and thats why I fly WACO's. My WACO was in the First group and now is almost 4 years old. Many, Many successful flights and some not and the plane has survived some ground loops and pilot errors in the early days. It took me probably 30 flights and the help of a full scale WACO pilot to learn how to land it. Its more like a Warbird than my Sukio. I bring it in Hot (high Idle). No three pointers for me because if you miss its big trouble.
TR
WACO Brotherhood # 69

TR
Old 06-07-2007, 03:13 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: trlambsr

Boy this is really getting over the top. This old marine Gunny can't even test his Biplane without a pilot. The pictures are old. They are from the early days and I was worried that the pilot was not checked out in the WACO so he stayed on the ground for static only. He is there now but don't have any pictures of him or at least I can't find them.

TR
WACO Brotherhood # 69

TR
TR--That's a damn fine WACO, absolutely gorgeous. The reason the pilot can't be seen is that he's up in the cowl, spinning the prop by hand. Marines don't need no engines!!

Vasek-- This is from the TME manual, regarding "wet testing" of the pump and adjusting flow:

"Fill the smoke tank and turn the pump on while timing the amount of time it takes to empty the tank. Adjust the valve for about a 2 oz/minute flow for .90 or smaller glow engines.........1.2 cubic inch engines require about 3 oz/minute. Larger gasoline engines from 1.8 to 4.2 cubic inches can burn from 4 to 8 oz/minute. At TOC in Las Vegas, 8.8 c.i. glow engines were burning up to 15 oz./minute...."
I figured that a 14 oz tank, at about 3- 4 oz/minute would give me around 3-1/2 to 4 minutes of smoke, since the G-26 is 1.5 c.i.
The hotter the exhaust, the more smoke you get from a given amount of oil at a given rpm. Gas engines do best, then 4-stroke glow. Hope this helps. The Sullivan smoke pump is very good, I've seen several pattern/3-D planes with them. I suppose the setup is very similar in terms of where the pump goes, adjusting flow, etc.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:25 PM
Didg

ORIGINAL: khodges

ORIGINAL: Didg

That's a contradiction in terms, Didg, a WACO obsession is the healthiest kind. Consider yourself a member. The Master Chief (Stickbuilder) can give you a number, unless you have one in mind; just so it's past whatever the current membership is. You can look back and see the list somewhere. The Master Chief is having 'puter problems, his hard drive got soft, or something like that
I too consider my obsession to be healthy, my missus on the other hand would disagree.

It's an honour to become a member, am I too late to order a T shirt or two?

Just so you know a bit about me:
I live in southern Scotland, I'm 45 and work at the National Museum of Flight - East Fortune Airfield (1915)
Flying models for 2 1/2 years (late starter).

Hi to all,
Didg.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:26 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Okay, Here is the roster to date.

WACO BROTHERHOOD MEMBERSHIP:

#1 stickbuilder
#2 Hughes500
#3 Jim Henley
#4 mmattockx
#5 CTflyboy
#6 michaelj2k
#7 Ronj10
#8 gwulle
#9 jim schroer
#10 Skinny Bob
#11 Bart5495
#12 Pimmnz
#13 HarryJ
No. 14 Old Git
#15 ChrisMH
#16 Nerevar
#17 Ricatic
#18 Clay H.
#19 Tripp2Loo
#20 KHodges
#21 Bill Hogue (WACO One)
#22 Mangolo (Waldo)
#23 av8ter
#24 yel914
#25 damifino
#26 skylarkmk1
#27 Jacque
#28 Edwin
#29 AROPLANE
#30 CubNut (Anthony)
#31 BQuartucy (Bob Q)
#32 AERORON
#33 funkymusic
#34 RCOutlaw
#35 obo (Bob)
#36 Jackk36 (Jack)
#37 fatherrooster (Jim)
#38 Ilikebipes
#39 Kestrel0222
#40 CROWMAN17 (Marc)
#41 redcesar
#42 S. Christensen (Scott)
#43 Bill Deidrich
#44 Mike Barbee
#45 mrdhud (Dan Hudson)
#46 SoCalSal
#47 Todd (NightStalker)
#48 argon (Bob Gonzalez)
#49 mango 12 (Scott)
#50 skyjet 1
#51 ZIG
#52 Didg
#53 MarvinE255 (DOC)
#54 Joe Norris (Full Scale WACO Pilot)
#55 vasek
#56 SuperCub Man (Jim)

#60 doc zinger

#64 stifts (Steve)

#66 Mobyal

#69 trlambsr

#77 tomcraig

#100 nine o nine (Mitch Epstein)

WACO Sisterhood Roster:

S-1 Janelle (Lady Stickbuilder)
S-2 Sissy Nightstalker
S-3 Barb Barbee
S-4 LadyMango (Lynda)

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Old 06-07-2007, 08:53 PM
khodges

Master Chief, you have both ZIG and didg as #51. Would Didg not be #52?

Didg, we're kindred somewhere along the line. My mother is a genealogist and has traced our families a long way back. I'm a Campbell on one side (and a member of Clan Campbell USA), and Callaway on the other, and have relatives from the McKenny and MacDonald Clans, and I married a McDaniel. One of my dreams is to visit your fine country before I depart this mortal coil.

If you will contact damifino by PM, or here on this thread, he can set you up with ordering T-shirts.

Welcome to Clan WACO
Old 06-07-2007, 09:13 PM
khodges

On another note, I got two great flights in today on the UMF, about 15 minutes each. I got the rudder input on takeoff about nailed, the tailwheel adjustments are working perfectly. My first landing was spot on, came in about 1/4 throttle (this thing really slows down when you back off the gas) and did a great wheel landing with a 100 foot rollout. Second landing I got too slow (actually was almost downwind) and bounced the touchdown, pulled the spring loaded gizmo on the landing gear struts out of the mounting block. An easy fix, I need longer mounting screws and a longer travel on the gizmo. I did a loop and couple of rolls, it's beautiful in the air.

One thing ticked me off, I couldn't get the smoke system to work. I heard the pump run, but it either wouldn't prime or ???. And the last time I tried it before pumping the fluid back out, the pump wouldn't run (battery read 5.24V). I wanted the smoke for this weekend, but fixing it means removing the wings and I just don't feel like it right now. I'll just fix the gear problem and fly it without smoke for now. next time I need to adjust or repair something else, I'll figure this thing out.

Gosh, this thing is fun to fly[sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Old 06-07-2007, 10:10 PM
damifino

VASEK: I have the Sullivan pump on a YS 110 powered Super Skybolt. Makes great smoke. I need to play with it some more. I have only a 6 oz tank and I've seen that it makes as much smoke at low pump speed/low engine speed as it does at high pump speed/high engine speed. I've made a flow restrictor to try out. My reasoning is that 'lean' on the oil mixture will do two things: conserve oil (more time) and not cool the exhaust with excessive flow. All in all I really like it. One thing to be carefull about- The Sullivan pump's nipples have no barbs and the supplied plastic clamps will allow the tubing to slip off. It makes a REALLY big mess! After the big mess I secured the lines with the supplied clamps AND an arrangement of nylon zip ties around the tubing and then to the mounting holes on the pump base itself.

WACO TEES- Samples were printed today and the logo and background did not have enough contrast. Simple fix but will delay printing until tomorrow (Friday). If everything goes as planned they will still be on schedule.

For those of you have just joined: I did get extra shirts just for your situation. Please send me a Private Message with your real name, address, e-mail address, and sizes of shirts desired. I will advise you of availability and the total cost which will include shipping. The quanities are limited so speak up!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.