Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 11:50 PM
skylarkmk1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

Bill and Angel,

The struts (wing, cabane and inner landing gear) on most of the Wacos are streamlined the same amount along both edges (kind of a tapered rectangle with rounded edges, not the teardrop shape K&S tubing is. Unfortunately, there is not a commercially made tubing made in the sizes we need. I do not have a picture of the cross section on the Wacos I have seen.

The cabane struts are welded together to form the “N†shape. RC Scale Builder, under Kits (page 3), Pica, Waco (page 40) (locked thread started by Puff Daddy) http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...55&PN=1&TPN=40 has a tutorial on brazing the aluminum cabane struts together, a good and very interesting read if nothing else.

The interplane struts are three separate struts that bolt together. The rear strut bolts to the center strut at the top wing and the front strut bolts to the center strut at the bottom wing.

Angel – Creve Coeur is a tough one to spell, I still have to think how to spell it after typing it for more than a year. I have added it to my spell check in MS Word. Hope to see you at the Fly In this summer in June if you can make it, you will be like Ken was last year, a kid in a candy shop .
Old 12-21-2007, 05:13 AM
aminiet

John.

Thank you for clearing up the situation on the shape of the struts, I guess my power 10 by focals are doing their job.
I was thinking of rounding the leading edges of the stream line tubing by pushing a solid round rod just a hair larger than the tube I.D. and with a wooden wall paper roller try to flatten out that leading edge a bit, for the trailing edge grind off the sharp end and bond a rounder trailing edge. I will be using that tubing to hide the nav. lights wiring. But that is down the road, the aileron corrugation skins are kicking my empenage right now. Its a long, time consumng job.

I will try to make it to "Creve Coeur", hopefully the prices of the hotel will come down some. Have you heard any thing yet from the AWC ? I asked them if they were going to try to get group rates. The Holiday Inn does not offer airlines employees discount rates, my plane ticket is just about right.

I should be a lot wiser after spending a few nights a the Holiday Inn Express !!!

Winter came to Houston last Saturday Morning I think it was, when I left work at 2:30 am I had to scrape a dusting of ice from my winshield, summer is back alredy, in the 70's day time.

Angel
B 58
Old 12-21-2007, 06:40 AM
lazyace
My Feedback: (126)

OK john and others down south how does SANTA get to your homes with all of the airplane stuff without any SNOW ?
Old 12-21-2007, 08:14 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: lazyace

OK john and others down south how does SANTA get to your homes with all of the airplane stuff without any SNOW ?
Easy,

He doesn't use a sled. Here in sunny florida, He lands in the street in his trusty Waco, and rolls in through the front door. In some neighborhoods, he has to leave a couple of well armed elves to keep from losing the wheels and tires to the local thugs.

"Hey, mon, I can get you a deal on some cool reems". [:'(][:'(][:@]

Sad but true.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-21-2007, 09:31 AM
froghair1

HELP!!! I am not a brotherhood member but i am finnishing a one fifth pica waco. I woul like to paint it in an unusual scheme, but I can find no reference to any wacos being used by the military of any country. If anyone can supply info on where and if this was done, I thank you from the bottom of my sunburnt heart.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:31 AM
lazyace
My Feedback: (126)

YOU MUST HAVE A PRETTY WIDE STREET NOT TO SAY HOW BIG YOUR FRONT DOOR MUST BE
Old 12-21-2007, 09:58 AM
red1

SuperCub Man

Hi Jim,

Thanks. Works like a charm. I had never used the "selection" feature before.

Don (aka red 1)
AMA IMAA
WACo Brotherhood #72
Old 12-21-2007, 10:01 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill, that is VERY kind of you! Especially in light of the scale departures that khodges mentioned in the Cox-Pica model. But I think that in any case I'm okay right now, I've had a 1/5th scale Pica kit offered to me for 300.00, with some of the fiberglass missing, and a 1/6th scale Pica kit offered to me for 200.00 with the tailfeathers started.
With the move back to Texas still looming on the Horizon for me, I think that my wisest choice will still be the 1/6th ARF. Since I'm not at all fond of the dark blue theme I probably strip it and recover it in a White with Red Trim theme. Up until now that has been the single thing that has stopped me from getting that ARF. I might think about doing some bashing then, maybe I can straighten out the wing dihedral issues and/or the wingtips. Despite my thoughts of making an exception for a large WACO bipe, I think that until I'm settled in a permanent workshop at my place in Texas I should not get into anything too large.
I've been building for 30 years, and I have to admit that having everything you've ever built stolen all at once, that takes the wind out of your sails like nothing else. I shouldn't let it, but it has soured me on building from kits or plans. I'm going to stick with the ARFs and nothing much more in-depth than what I mentioned above.
With the pile of ARFs I have on deck here, I'm going to be building hard all winter anyway! And yeah, there are already a few different types of Bipes here now. Sun Dancer, Pitts, Ultimate....

jim
Old 12-21-2007, 10:11 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

khodges,
I live in Maine but not on an Island off the coast. I do still backpack on the A.T. near Moosehead lake, Barren Mountain and Borestone Mountain are my favorites. It seems to strengthen my knees some (Hurts like crazy sometimes too). I've still never hiked up Katahdin, and I live an hour or so from it. 12 miles, all of it UP... I worry that I wouldn't be alive for the 12 miles back DOWN....

Yes, it's beautiful here, but I'm 6'2" and the snow is mid-thigh-deep right now, with Christmas still a few days away. I will be glad when I'm in San Antonio again. Flying down for two weeks in January!

Thanks for the scale tips, I'm certain that this thread is just packed with them, a fella could really do a super-scale job on a WACO using what's here.

Jim
Old 12-21-2007, 10:35 AM
skylarkmk1

Froghair,

Aerofiles http://aerofiles.com/_waco.html has a list of Wacos impressed by the US Military, I think all were cabin models, most were painted OD green with the large star on the fuse (not sure of the wing markings). Cuba recieved some UMFs with smooth cowls (see the National Waco Club site photo album F-3/F-5) and a S3HD-A that crashed shortly after arrival in Cuba. Claude McCullough did a great model of the S3HD-A. Others were exported, I believe to Brazil and some other South American Countries, Check the Aerofiles listing under the codes, it list the model, how many were made and how many exported.

Also see the Waco Classic Aircraft site http://www.wacoclassic.com/ , the photo album has some custom paint jobs.

Other places to look are the Civil Defense Aircraft (round emblem with white triangle and red prop, except on coastal patrol a/c) and the Coast Guard, I think one of the rubber powered model companies did a Waco that way.

There was a UPF-7, NC 29927, that attended the 2007 Waco Fly In at Creve Coeur done up in military colors, See picture.

Don't forget the Waco CG-4A Hadrian Glider used in WWII to get troops behind enemy lines.

To join, just ask. No dues, no duties, no officers (except Bill - membership and myself - appointed/annointed as historian, niether position can be gotten out of ).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24747.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	830647  
Old 12-21-2007, 11:17 AM
Stickbuilder

Okay, Here is the roster to date.

WACO BROTHERHOOD MEMBERSHIP:

#1 stickbuilder
#2 Hughes500
#3 Jim Henley
#4 mmattockx
#5 CTflyboy
#6 michaelj2k
#7 Ronj10
#8 gwulle
#9 jim schroer
#10 Skinny Bob
#11 Bart5495
#12 Pimmnz
#13 HarryJ
No. 14 Old Git
#15 ChrisMH
#16 Nerevar
#17 Ricatic
#18 Clay H.
#19 Tripp2Loo
#20 KHodges
#21 Bill Hogue (WACO One)
#22 Mangolo (Waldo)
#23 av8ter
#24 yel914 (Rick)
#25 damifino
#26 skylarkmk1
#27 Jacque
#28 Edwin
#29 AROPLANE
#30 CubNut (Anthony)
#31 BQuartucy (Bob Q)
#32 AERORON
#33 funkymusic
#34 Live Wire (Larry)
#35 obo (Bob)
#36 Jackk36 (Jack)
#37 fatherrooster (Jim)
#38 Ilikebipes
#39 Kestrel0222
#40 CROWMAN17 (Marc)
#41 redcesar
#42 S. Christensen (Scott)
#43 Bill Deidrich
#44 Mike Barbee
#45 mrdhud (Dan Hudson)
#46 SoCalSal
#47 Todd (NightStalker)
#48 argon (Bob Gonzalez)
#49 mango 12 (Scott)
#50 skyjet 1
#51 ZIG
#52 Didg
#53 MarvinE255 (DOC)
#54 Joe Norris (Full Scale WACO Pilot)
#55 vasek
#56 SuperCub Man (Jim)
#57 Black Drape (Ron)
#58 aminiet (Angel Minet)
#59 Snowball
#60 doc zinger
#61 jagnweiner (Scott)
#62 Meesh (Bob)
#63 BigBoy99 (Bernie)
#64 stifts (Steve)
#65 RCWalker (Wallace)
#66 Mobyal
#67 lazyace
#68 bladerunner1955 (Don)
#69 trlambsr
#70 Big Bird (Ken)
#71 Tony V (Tony)
#72 red 1
#73 412t1 (Sean)
#74 Mr Lucky (Ben Warner)
#75 RICKSTUBBZ (Rick Stubblefield)
#76 ffdg (Fred)
#77 tomcraig
#78 Michou41a Michel
#79 Watzscale (Dick Watz)
#80 Devens
#81 msilvestro (Mark)
#82 Cheechukranch (Lewis)
#83 kruzin55 (Chris)
#84 lynchr (Ron)
#85 airplanegeek
#86 Mainer Jim
#87 Garthwood (Charles)
#88 RCBOATMANIAC (Dave)

#100 nine o nine (Mitch Epstein)

WACO Sisterhood Roster:

S-1 Janelle (Lady Stickbuilder)
S-2 Sissy Nightstalker
S-3 Barb Barbee
S-4 LadyMango (Lynda)
S-5 BUMBLE GEE BEE (Gabi)

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Old 12-21-2007, 11:22 AM
Stickbuilder

I was hoping to make the roster the first post on this milestone page (200) but, when you snooze, you lose. John, you make one mistake. Bill is not an officer in the Brotherhood. You have the sole office in the organization. Bill is just one more member of the Brotherhood. I have been holding down an imaginary post. any Brother can accept a membership request.

As to the question about my front door size, the average front door here in Central Florida has to be pretty wide to accomodate the Wide Load Gals that seem to populate this geographic locale.[:@]

The Better half is the exception to that rule (see how easy I got out of that doghouse?)

Bill, WACO Brother #1
Old 12-21-2007, 11:27 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Mainer_Jim

Bill, that is VERY kind of you! Especially in light of the scale departures that khodges mentioned in the Cox-Pica model. But I think that in any case I'm okay right now, I've had a 1/5th scale Pica kit offered to me for 300.00, with some of the fiberglass missing, and a 1/6th scale Pica kit offered to me for 200.00 with the tailfeathers started.
With the move back to Texas still looming on the Horizon for me, I think that my wisest choice will still be the 1/6th ARF. Since I'm not at all fond of the dark blue theme I probably strip it and recover it in a White with Red Trim theme. Up until now that has been the single thing that has stopped me from getting that ARF. I might think about doing some bashing then, maybe I can straighten out the wing dihedral issues and/or the wingtips. Despite my thoughts of making an exception for a large WACO bipe, I think that until I'm settled in a permanent workshop at my place in Texas I should not get into anything too large.
I've been building for 30 years, and I have to admit that having everything you've ever built stolen all at once, that takes the wind out of your sails like nothing else. I shouldn't let it, but it has soured me on building from kits or plans. I'm going to stick with the ARFs and nothing much more in-depth than what I mentioned above.
With the pile of ARFs I have on deck here, I'm going to be building hard all winter anyway! And yeah, there are already a few different types of Bipes here now. Sun Dancer, Pitts, Ultimate....

jim
Jim, Grab the fifth scale kit if you can. You wouldn't use the plastic parts anyway, and you can get the cowl and wheel pants from Stan's, and the cowl is correct for the first time.

The fifth scale is only 72 inch wingspan, and should be a better flyer than the 60 inch version. I was on your post in the Clubhouse right after your planes were stolen, and we talked about my buying your old JR transmitter.

Don't give up on building, they take a dim view of thieves down in Texas.

Bill, WACO Brother #1
Old 12-21-2007, 11:39 AM
skylarkmk1

Angel,

I think I will use some carbon fiber or aluminum tube (or maybe bicycle spoke or 4-40/6-32 all thread) with wood epoxied on both sides, taper from the tube to the edges with the tube as the high (or thickest) part and then round the leading and trailing edges. What I will use will depend on what clevises and other fittings I can find in the appropriate scale.

Lazy Ace, The St Louis area just had a little snow storm (one of the top 7 in recent years) last week, but the temps warmed up and rain has now washed it all away.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:47 AM
skylarkmk1

Bill,

You are the keeper of the list, founder of the Brotherhood and this thread/forum and there fore the un-official (imaginary) official president of the WB.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

Bill,

You are the keeper of the list, founder of the Brotherhood and this thread/forum and there fore the un-official (imaginary) official president of the WB.
To Quote a famous (or is that infamous) politician, "If nominated, I will not run, If elected, I will not serve". [8D][8D][>:]

This orgainzation/thread has been operating quite well without any elected official for well over a year now. I ain't rockin' the boat.

Bill, WACO Brother #1
Old 12-21-2007, 12:36 PM
skylarkmk1

Bill,

I never said you were elected, it just sorta happened by default. If you did not have the position, how did you decide/declare/appoint that I was the official Historian.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:13 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Wow. This is startin' ta get complicated! So, this means that officially I'm unofficial too? ***whew***

Yes, Bill, I remember corresponding with you about that TX. I actually was reading through old messages this morning and read those. So, those original 1/5 PICA kits, they're basically treasures to a Bipe modeler and I should grab one when I get the chance?

Jim
Old 12-21-2007, 02:38 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Mainer_Jim

Wow. This is startin' ta get complicated! So, this means that officially I'm unofficial too? ***whew***

Yes, Bill, I remember corresponding with you about that TX. I actually was reading through old messages this morning and read those. So, those original 1/5 PICA kits, they're basically treasures to a Bipe modeler and I should grab one when I get the chance?

Jim
Any Pica kit is a treasure, but not the kind that you hoard, but the kind that you build (and fly). If you have the opportunity, by all means, grab it. This does not mean pay an exorbitant price for it, since you can now cut your own (for the first time).

Bill, WACO Brother #1
Old 12-21-2007, 02:41 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

Bill,

I never said you were elected, it just sorta happened by default. If you did not have the position, how did you decide/declare/appoint that I was the official Historian.
Old Chineese proverb says, "It is always easier to gain forgiveness, than to obtain permission".

Anyway, someone has to be the historian, and keeper of the facts. It just happened to the correct person in this instance. You probably have more knowledge of the WACO brand than any living human, so it is just a natural fit, and a very good one, I might add.

Bill, WACO Brother #1
Old 12-21-2007, 05:58 PM
aminiet

froghair1

The latin american aviation historical society has some side views of several WACOS in latin ameican armed forces paint schemes.
I am sure that if you ask for help, you will get diffeent views of a particular model
Angel
B 58
Old 12-21-2007, 06:10 PM
sdunan

I take exception to the quality of the BCMA ENGINES, there customer service is great but the engines leave something to be desired. I purchased the 26cc engine and it vibrated off the mount. The prop shaft had a runout of .020, so I sent it back, the owner indicated that it met his specs. I ended up with a Zenoah 26cc and could not be happier.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:35 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: sdunan

I take exception to the quality of the BCMA ENGINES, there customer service is great but the engines leave something to be desired. I purchased the 26cc engine and it vibrated off the mount. The prop shaft had a runout of .020, so I sent it back, the owner indicated that it met his specs. I ended up with a Zenoah 26cc and could not be happier.
I might be wrong, but I don't think that anyone has considered the BCMA engine for their WACO. A few of us are either using the G-26 or have bought one. I think that even given the extra lard of the G-26, it may prove to be a great engine for the fifth scale.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-21-2007, 08:11 PM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

Bill and John, you guy's have to take credit for what have you contributed to the airplane modeling world. Bill, you started this, John, you have supplied documentation and photographs that would not be so readily available to us if it were not for your love of the WACO. Bill, you have many, many hours of building experience with this model that also would not be here for use if not for the same reason. I don't think you two guy's truly know how much you have given to the modeling community. The same for all the brothers for all they have contributed. I'll bet there are hundreds of airplane model builders reading these posts who have never checked in.

Brother's, what do you think?. Should we hold an election?
Old 12-21-2007, 09:38 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Skinny Bob

Bill and John, you guy's have to take credit for what have you contributed to the airplane modeling world. Bill, you started this, John, you have supplied documentation and photographs that would not be so readily available to us if it were not for your love of the WACO. Bill, you have many, many hours of building experience with this model that also would not be here for use if not for the same reason. I don't think you two guy's truly know how much you have given to the modeling community. The same for all the brothers for all they have contributed. I'll bet there are hundreds of airplane model builders reading these posts who have never checked in.

Brother's, what do you think?. Should we hold an election?
No, No election. The basic rules of the Brotherhood was that there would be no meetings, no dues, no elections, and no officers. The Brotherhood Historian is not an officer, but the official keeper of the specifications for the marque. We should not try to violate the Basics of the Brotherhood that have so far withstood the test of time. Let's not mess with a good thing here. Thanks for the input, but I'm against it. If you have any officers, then that leads to more rules, and more rules leads to less interest.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.