Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 07:43 PM
gwulle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

Has anyone tried a 25 or 26cc gasser ? I have a 26cc Brillelli EI coming for mine,but after looking at how short the cowl is, I'm having some resevations.

Gaines
Old 12-27-2006, 08:09 PM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

Gaines, I have a 25cc gasser in my GP Super Stearman and GP P6-E Hawk. The engine length was ok. Width was a different story, a little tight. The Stearman weighs 15+lbs, the 25 flys it ok, but a little mushy on take off. The P6-E is less, 12-1/2lbs. the 25 flys her fine. The 1/5 YMF is about the same size as the Stearman, if you can keep the weight down to 12+lbs. the 25 will probably do ok, however I think I would recommend a 40cc. Both my 25's are Brillelli engines, great engines and great support from Scott. I think the 25 would do very well in a 1/6 size YMF, the cowl is quite round and roomy and might accept the 25.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:56 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Skinny Bob

Gaines, I have a 25cc gasser in my GP Super Stearman and GP P6-E Hawk. The engine length was ok. Width was a different story, a little tight. The Stearman weighs 15+lbs, the 25 flys it ok, but a little mushy on take off. The P6-E is less, 12-1/2lbs. the 25 flys her fine. The 1/5 YMF is about the same size as the Stearman, if you can keep the weight down to 12+lbs. the 25 will probably do ok, however I think I would recommend a 40cc. Both my 25's are Brillelli engines, great engines and great support from Scott. I think the 25 would do very well in a 1/6 size YMF, the cowl is quite round and roomy and might accept the 25.
I'll getcha if you butcher the cowl. Buy the 160 twin. It fits, no holes except for the exhaust pipes, and they are scale.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-27-2006, 09:18 PM
gwulle

Bill - That's what I am trying to avoid. I hate a cowl all cut up.

Bob - I had the Brillelli 25GT on the GP PT-17 and you are right about it being a little mushy on take off. I had to get plenty of air speed before lift off and if you didn't give it alot of rudder before you reached lift off speed it would go left quite a bit. I have pulled that engine off the PT-17 and was going to mount it on the GP Super Stearman I am also building. The Stearman is quite a bit heavier than the Waco so I was planning on putting a Brillelli 26cc EI on it. From what Bill told me it looks like that engine will be perfect. I read the review on the Waco and they used a Zenoah 26cc which is heavier than a Brillelli. They had to move the battery to the rear to get it to balance. What I am concerned with is the short cowl and trying to get the gasser in without butchering the bottom of the cowl,and if I do that Bill will run me out of the Brotherhood(LOL)

Gaines
Old 12-27-2006, 09:21 PM
gwulle

Bob;
I have a Brillelli 40cc EI also,do you think I need to take a look at possibly putting that engine on the Stearman ?
Old 12-27-2006, 09:26 PM
Skinny Bob

Bill, I thought I might help Gaines decide on a gasser if that is his choice. I am going to use a 4-stroke glow in mine. I would love to have a radial, but a bit pricey for me so will probably go with the 160 twin like you recommend. Bill, You-Da-Man!. You have built enough of these beautiful birds and you of all should know from experience what works the best. The UBF-2 with the ring cowl might require the radial, if so I might have to be very good this next year so my better half will consent to the cost of that radial. Although i don't think there is much differance in the length between the twin and radial. I want to hear the scale like sound of the 4-stroke from my Waco.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:47 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Skinny Bob

Bill, I thought I might help Gaines decide on a gasser if that is his choice. I am going to use a 4-stroke glow in mine. I would love to have a radial, but a bit pricey for me so will probably go with the 160 twin like you recommend. Bill, You-Da-Man!. You have built enough of these beautiful birds and you of all should know from experience what works the best. The UBF-2 with the ring cowl might require the radial, if so I might have to be very good this next year so my better half will consent to the cost of that radial. Although i don't think there is much differance in the length between the twin and radial. I want to hear the scale like sound of the 4-stroke from my Waco.
That's the best part. The sound is everything that you would expect. especially with the throttle pulled back some. At full throttle, it still doesn't sound right. The next one (the Quarter scale) is going to get the Seidel Radial. (probably the 7 cylinder model) While the radial is a little pricey, it should do the entire job. Sprightly performance, and scale sound. What more could you ask for?

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-27-2006, 09:50 PM
gwulle

You boys have got me back looking at 4strokes again and I am trying to go all gas. Mybe I will put a Satio 220 I've got on one of these planes(LOL) I've got A OS 120 also,just nothing in between.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:20 PM
gwulle

Bill;
I'm still looking on that site for the pic's you told me about. The only pic's I have seen so far is some guy and his dog(LOL)Good looking dog ! Is that a Husky ? Always wanted one of those.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:02 PM
gwulle

Bill;
Seeing your picture on that other site gave me an idea. Since you have established the Brotherhood,don't you think it would be nice to,at least,know what each other looks like. I will scrape up a pic tomorrow and put it on here if don't think I would scare everyone off. What do you think? It would be nice if you would put the pic on here that you have on the other site.

Gaines
Old 12-28-2006, 12:08 AM
HarryJ
My Feedback: (98)

There is a gas engine that will fit inside the cowl with only the pipes sticking out the bottom. It's the RCS 140 with an inverted wrap-around Pitts style muffler. It has a rear carb that would stick back in the firewall offset that is already built in. RCS also has another engine with a front carb that is very short, the 180, a 30cc gas engine. RCS has an inverted muffler for it with a single pipe.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:40 AM
bart5495

Bill, I found a website that features a 1/3 scale waco using a 5 cylinder radial.
http://www.rcshowcase.com/html/galle...eryrcs215.html,

thought you might be interested,
Doug
Waco Brotherhood #11
Old 12-28-2006, 05:35 AM
Stickbuilder

The Genesis third scale does use the 5 cylinder radial, however the 1/4 scale that I want to do can use the Seidel radial, which should fit inside the cowl.

The Siberian Husky that you see is Luk-Luk. He is the end-all airplane dog (he does not know that he's a dog) and is spoiled rotten. When he was about 9 months old, he accidentially broke the spinner ring on one of my planes. He acted so terrified, that I couldn't scold him. He sat with me while I reglued the ring back on, and since that day, he will watch me build, but does not try to get close to the model.

Are you sure that the camera's can stand that level of ugliness? Just kidding, I think that's a wonderful idea. No fair substituting a photo of Halle Berry though.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Old 12-28-2006, 07:25 AM
flyguy888
My Feedback: (63)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with skinney Bob. I did alot of research on gassers for my 1/5 waco. Those who had a 25cc thought it flew realistically, in other words, underpowered for what most r/c modelers are looking for. I found quite a few who flew it with a q35 or q40 and were happy. I had to heavily modify my front end however to get the 1/5 to accept my q35 with cup mount. I had to build the actual mounting firewall 3/4 of an inch back and behind the normal firewall. More on that if you are interested.

wacobrotherhood#7
Old 12-28-2006, 07:39 AM
flyguy888
My Feedback: (63)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a pic of my q35. I had to remove some cowl from the bottom for the head, but it still looks great. The twin pipes comming off the standard bennet muffler look boss. If I was made out of money I would have gone with a 450.00 engine but I have to work within my economy. I picked up the q35 for 150 new on ebay and it runs great and sounds great too. It does not sound like a chain saw. On any engine the prop is what produces quite a bit of the noise. It sounds good and gas is cheaper than glo. You should go with what fits you as an individual. Don't be a sheep and bend to peer pressure. There is no one right way to do all this but many good ways.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89770.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	585080  
Old 12-28-2006, 07:45 AM
Skinny Bob

I would if I were to do it over. And if you want smoke you will need it. My 25 was a tight fit side to side, had to take the V-stack off so as not to cut a hole in the side of that pretty cowl. I wanted to go gas because of the fuel cost, but you can't beat the sound of those 4 strokers.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:08 PM
HarryJ

Here are the dimensions of the two RCS engines that will fit.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95801.gif
Views:	63
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	585316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg18199.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	585317  
Old 12-28-2006, 08:00 PM
Stickbuilder

With a measurement of 5" from the c/l of the crankshaft to the top of the cylinder head, you are going to wind up with nearly 1" of the head sticking outside the Cowl. How do you suggest camoflauging that? Run what you brung, but I still think that the Cowl should not be hacked to pieces, with non scale parts hanging out in the breeze.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-28-2006, 11:39 PM
HarryJ

You are right Bill, the 180 is too tall to fit completely inside. I took a new cowl and placed a few different engines inside it to see how much clearence there was all around it. The Saito 182 twin fits but is close, about 3/16 on each side. The Saito 170 R3 has lots of clearence with the Keleo exhaust ring with two pipes out the bottom. Tomorrow I will try to post some pictures with the engines centered inside the cowl. The FPE 1.3 will fit but the tip of the sparkplug will stick out just in front of the twin exhaust pipes,
I expect the RCS 140 to do the same. I am going to use the new cowl without the center cut out, just a hole large enough for the front of the crankshaft centered.

Harry
Old 12-29-2006, 05:53 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: HarryJ

You are right Bill, the 180 is too tall to fit completely inside. I took a new cowl and placed a few different engines inside it to see how much clearence there was all around it. The Saito 182 twin fits but is close, about 3/16 on each side. The Saito 170 R3 has lots of clearence with the Keleo exhaust ring with two pipes out the bottom. Tomorrow I will try to post some pictures with the engines centered inside the cowl. The FPE 1.3 will fit but the tip of the sparkplug will stick out just in front of the twin exhaust pipes,
I expect the RCS 140 to do the same. I am going to use the new cowl without the center cut out, just a hole large enough for the front of the crankshaft centered.

Harry
Harry,

How do these engines sound? Does it have the weed whacker moan, or does the muffler/pipe help the sound any? These birds just don't sound right with a 2 stroke screaming in the cowl. I have a MOKI 3.6 inline twin with C&H ignition, and tuned pipes that I don't know what to do with. This engine has spun an 18X18 prop at over 200 MPH. Won't work in one of these WACO's. I'm thinking about building the Ziroli P-40 and planting it in there.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-29-2006, 06:54 PM
Skinny Bob

I don't know if this link is new to any of you Waconuts, but have look. There is a lot of vintage pics of Wacos and other planes as well. http://www.russellw.com/photoalbum/photo_query_form.asp
Old 12-29-2006, 07:17 PM
gwulle

Well I left work early to work on my plane and discovered that my new Brillelli 26cc EI was here. That's all I needed to finish. To my dismay I am going to have to cut the right lower and bottom cowl mount out to get the engine to fit along with cutting out the bottom front of the fuse, And then,I have to find a way to mount the EI and that looks like it'a going to have to go through the bottom of the hatch cover,between the LG. In other words butcher the plane to get it to work. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!! I sat in my shop all afternoon test fitting different gassers I have and I do not like the way any of them fit. The recessed firewall is what is causing all the problems. I am going to take a look at the OS 160 twin,at Stickbuilder suggestion,and see how that will work. This is the ARF and it is a 10-12 lb plane and I just think the gassers are going to be too heavy for this plane. I have a 14 lb FuntanaX that flies well on a OS 120. I wounder if this plane at 10-12 lbs would fly reasonably. Any other suggestions.

Gaines
Old 12-29-2006, 07:33 PM
Stickbuilder

Who let the ARF guy in here?

Gaines,

I left a post and some pics on your thread. The last one shows only the Exhaust holes. Ignore the brass tubes. They do not exist. They do not exist, They do not exist

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-29-2006, 07:36 PM
HarryJ

Gaines, I will be posting some photos later this evening of different engines sitting inside an original Pica kit cowl. I have several that will fit with no problems. A Saito 182 twin, a Saito 170 radial, a RCS 140 gas, a FPE 1.3 gas, and a MVVS 160 gas. I would like to use gas also but I like the sound of the Saito 4 stroke. The Zenoah 20 and 26 are completely out of the running, just too much butchering to get them even close to fitting. I'm a little like Bill, I don't like to cut the cowl unless it is the last resort.

Harry
Old 12-29-2006, 10:26 PM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

HarryJ

What are your thoughts on a US 25 Gasser?

George
WACO Brotherhood # 5

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.