Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 11:37 PM
old git

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

I was wondering what had happened to you Bill.

I hope they put his computer "Where the sun don't shine"

old git - - - - aka John L.

WACO Brotherhood No. 14.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:44 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: old git

I was wondering what had happened to you Bill.

I hope they put his computer "Where the sun don't shine"

old git - - - - aka John L.

WACO Brotherhood No. 14.
Or at least something there!

I've got to work on the old Brick (Volvo) this weekend, the garbage that they used for wire insulation has seen better days, and so I'll be replacing the entire engine bay harness. That means removing quite a few components to be able to reach things, and doing other maintenance items that can only be performed with things like the intake manifold removed. I'm getting too old for this S oops, crap.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-26-2008, 08:18 AM
Garthwood

Nice work Jim. I've been following this thread for about two weeks now. Too much to read, but very informative.
Got lots of good advice from Khodges and Jim. I managed to complete the struts in the landing gear on my Waco 1/6th.

Thanks all.

Charles
Waco Brotherhood #87
Old 01-26-2008, 10:58 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

I've got to work on the old Brick (Volvo) this weekend, the garbage that they used for wire insulation has seen better days, and so I'll be replacing the entire engine bay harness.
What year is it? Why not just buy a new one, and get a free vacation to Sweden in the bargain? One of my co-workers bought a new Volvo convertible (90S sound right?), got it for 10% LESS than any dealer that she called would quote. Volvo paid for her round trip airfare (for two), PLUS four day hotel cost (for two), PLUS shipping cost of the car to her local dealership after she officially took delivery in Sweden. She also got a complete tour of the Volvo facilities. Only requirement was advance payment in full to Volvo of Sweden for the price of the car.

GM and Ford could offer that, but who'd want a free trip to Detroit for 4 days?
Old 01-26-2008, 05:00 PM
Garthwood

Khodges............ref. pm. Here are some pics. of the Waco YMF 1/6. landing gear/struts mod. I have used 1/4x1/4 sq. Aluminum U channel material, Length of compression spring roughly 7/8", 8-32x1-1/2 " bolt size for compression sprin. Pushrod 4-40, K&S round aluminum 5/32". For spacers I used nylon washers. I did not find the kind the Ken/Jim used, so I used these nylon washers and stacked 3-4 of these, top and bottom of the L shaped U Channel. I took Jim's advice to always use eye protection. Damage your eyes, and kiss your building and flying good-bye. I have followed mostly what Ken and Jim did. In my case my Waco is a 1:6th scale, so I scaled down the U Channel. The pictures explains how I fastened the U channel/spring/and pushrods...ball links. I also used the DuBro Threaded Rod Ends 4-40 for the strut that connects to the brass plate U channel. I used 4-40 screws with nylon lock nuts.
Hope this explains it all.
Credit goes to Ken/Jim..............for this great idea.
Thanks
Charles.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91625.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	861720   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32287.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	861721   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz67910.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	861722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un34332.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	861723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oz29962.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	861724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yp93115.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	861725  
Old 01-26-2008, 06:07 PM
Jim Henley

Charles,
Your modifications look great. You did a very nice job on your struts.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:30 PM
Garthwood

Jim.............thanks for the nice comments and for passing such a great idea.

Charles.
Waco Brotherhood #87
Old 01-26-2008, 07:07 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: khodges

What year is it? Why not just buy a new one, and get a free vacation to Sweden in the bargain? One of my co-workers bought a new Volvo convertible (90S sound right?), got it for 10% LESS than any dealer that she called would quote. Volvo paid for her round trip airfare (for two), PLUS four day hotel cost (for two), PLUS shipping cost of the car to her local dealership after she officially took delivery in Sweden. She also got a complete tour of the Volvo facilities. Only requirement was advance payment in full to Volvo of Sweden for the price of the car.

GM and Ford could offer that, but who'd want a free trip to Detroit for 4 days?
It's 24 Years young, and only recently turned 100K. It will last me the rest of my driving life. It had every possible option when it was new, and I've kept to the suggested maintenance schedule. It has never seen anything but Castrol GTX 10-30 oil, and only recently got it's first set of brake pads. I would not part with it for love nor money, and we already have a convertible, and I would not want a C-70 (that's the drop top Volvo). My old wagon does everything I want a car to do. Janelle has the ragtop, and really likes it. The Brick will haul a quarter scale plane with ease, which the new ones won't do. It's a bona-fide Waco hauler.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-26-2008, 08:17 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

John I received my Waco CD today[8D],
Very nice pics, for those of you who have not purchased a CD from John you don't know what your missing.
BTW, My 1/4 scale build is well under way.
Anthony
Old 01-27-2008, 12:04 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

John, I got my C195 CD today, thanks much. I definitely agree with Anthony on the quality and thoroughness of your details. That 195 is a beautiful plane.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:50 AM
Stickbuilder

The 195 will be available shortly. Dick Watz is building a couple of them to prove the plan for Wendell. He says it is going to be a nice plane to build. You will be able to see one built from Wendell's plans at Toledo.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-29-2008, 07:47 AM
Stickbuilder

Still nothing from Darrell (Sierra Giant Scale) I'll be calling him today, and will let all of you know what I find out.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-29-2008, 10:53 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Bill (STICKBUILDER)
Thanks for the efforts on the scale landing gear. Has a ball park figure come up yet on the cost of it when it goes to production?
Old 01-29-2008, 11:26 AM
skylarkmk1

Rick,

Haven't be able to get back to CCA, some other things that had to be done have taken precedence.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:37 PM
Garthwood

Jim..........Ken.........all.............Pictures of completed Waco 1/6 struts. Wings on. Rebalanced...Ok.
Final wt. (dry) 4.42 Kgs. (9-3/4 lbs.). Increased wt. is 3/4 of a lb. Balanced spot on. Moved battery over the CG.
No wheel pants, explained why in a previous post.

Charles.

Name:	Mk24825.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	864596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35690.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	864597  
Old 01-29-2008, 03:55 PM
Garthwood

Hi Jim........I need to replace the decals (red) on the cowl blisters. I made the mistake of not spraying or brushing clear epoxy on these decals. The fuel started to peel these decals. Anyone knows where I can get the 1/6th. cowl blister decals ?.

Charles/Garthwood
Waco Brotherhood # 87.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:30 PM
RCBOATMANIAC

Charles, nice job! I hope that I can get mine to like as good, question what size engine are you running in it and what size prop is that you have on it. For the 1/6 scale I need to get an engine for it and I was curious as to what size would work the best for it. Dave
Old 01-29-2008, 05:58 PM
Garthwood

Hi Dave..................My 1/6th. Waco's engine is the Saito FA-91S . Prop size is 14x6. The 14x6 on this engine is for Sport and Scale. You can go 15 x 4 max. as scale. Lots of room.
Thanks for your nice comments. Have you posted any progress shots of your build ?.
Good luck. You'll love the way she flys.

Charles.
Waco Brotherhood #87
Old 01-29-2008, 06:49 PM
RCBOATMANIAC

Charles, haven't gotten anything started yet, but hpefully after the first of February I'll be able to get things rolling. I was thinking about putting a 2 stroke in my 1/6 scale. Dave
Old 01-29-2008, 06:55 PM
Jim Henley

Charles,
your modifications look good, what did you use to cover your plane? I do not know where you could get 1/6th decals especially in red. You may try e-bay, I think there is a place where you can list things you are looking for. Live Wire in Sterling CO had some Dave Platt decals but I think they were cream colored. There was also some discussion about getting some 1/5 scale graphics cut including the cowl pieces but I don't know if that has been progressed or not. I have been making slow progress on my WACO, and am at the point where I am ready to spray the clear coat on the repaired surfaces. The cowl is almost ready for paint.

Rick,
I will be using the 33% MAC when I get ready to fly this one again, but with the weather we are having it will be a few more months before it is nice enough to take the WACO out again. There is a gentleman here in Omaha that has years of experience and is highly respected for his ability. I am going to try to contact him and see if he will be willing to make the next flight, and help me get the WACO sorted out. I will be posting here as I move forward, and will be keeping all of you up to date!
Old 01-29-2008, 07:34 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Charles,
You can always try Gary at Getstencils.com he can make paint stencils for your needs. It will hold up much better than a decal. I plan on having Gary make up a complete set of Stencils for my 1/4 scale. I have used them on several planes and they work great.
Here is a pic of my Jack Stafford Models Aircoupe, the #8 and the roundels on the wings were painted using stencils from Gary.
Anthony

Name:	Jh17144.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	864815  
Old 01-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: RICKSTUBBZ

All this silence is scary. Hope it means everybody has been able to do some building and/or flying.

I scanned through the instruction manuals, again, on the house of moy site and came to the realization that the long version has a very complete list of materials for the 1/5 scale. Even though it may be a little confusing to read it is very thorough.

Bill (STICKBUILDER)
Thanks for the efforts on the scale landing gear. Has a ball park figure come up yet on the cost of it when it goes to production?
I have not a clue as to the price. Right now, I'm trying to figure out if we are ever going to see the prototype. I meant to call Darrell today, but the load at work would not permit the time. I'll try tomorrow while driving to a vendor's plant in Georgia. I'll try to get an answer to all the questions.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-29-2008, 09:08 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd get some Vinyl stencils made up too, like cubnut said. That really sounds like a great idea, and very exact and even reproduceable if (God forbid) you should ding the cowl at some point. And then you can tell us all where you got it done and we can get some too.

(Did I say that last part out loud? ergh.)

Jim
Old 01-29-2008, 09:19 PM
Stickbuilder

I spent the better part of the evening making a buck to pull a fiberglass hatch (between F-9 and F-10) to be able to access all the tail group servos. That's where mine are going so that I can have a cockpit that is deep enough to allow a pilot figure that is scale. The bottom of the cockpit almost is on the bottom wing, so no servo's in that area. I'm making the hatch replicate the covering complete with the stringer shapes showing through. The bottom longeron will be a bolt-in splice type using a notch cut on each end, and blind nuts and bolts to preserve the strength. I'll try to get some pictures posted.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-30-2008, 05:55 PM
SuperCub Man

RICKSTUBBZ - Somewhere in the distant passed you inquired how my wing struts were progressing. Well I've finished them! The following pix should describe my method and I hope it isn't too long winded - (I love taking pix!). So...by the number
1) Shows the items used to fabricate a more scale looking strut attachment. The alu is 6061 T6 (or something!) The brake line tubng has a perfect ID for the yellow inner nyrod. The brass is strong enough yet easy to bend and soft solders well to the steel tubing.
2) Shows the brackets installed. The front brackets have holes for the dual flying wires on the front strut but there are no wires on the back struts. The back strut has 1/32 ply pads sandwiched on the balsa spar. The front bracket is screwed to a basswod support.
3) Shows the wing re-sheeted and the brass fitting soldered to the 3/16" tubing. After soldering the brass and the steel tube, the yellow nyrod is CA'd inside the tubing (clean the tubing with alcohol first!) and then drilled with a #44 drill and tapped 4-40. This holds the mounting screw firmly in place against vibration without having to fiddle with a nut.
4) Shows the 1/8 X 1/2 ply struts being fitted with the threaded rods. The front and rear struts that attach to this had a 3/4" piece of 3/16" BL tubing into which I sweat soldered a brass tube and then tapped 4-40, so they could be adjusted.
5) Shows the 1/8" ply struts cut to length and epoxied into the brass fittings. The wings were supported on each side with equal length wood props to ensure a level wing.
6) Shows the completed strut after cladding with 1/8" balsa and sanding to an oval shape. One coat of WB Polyurethane on and more to go.
7) Shows the strut folded up to the top wing for transport. A good place to store it. Only need to find a place for the inter aileron struts.

Now on to the lights again!!

Name:	Bz78135.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	865488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20643.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	865489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb77118.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	865490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le92962.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	865491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cn78166.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	865492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sj72435.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	865493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bd67830.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	865494  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.