Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 08:08 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

You guys need to pm me with your info. I won't be able to keep track otherwise. I'll try to get the shirts in a color other than white, but that's not in my control.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 06-18-2008, 08:44 PM
aminiet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aye, aye sir. Me wants a blue one, extra large no onions or mustard.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:34 PM
egc-8

Just for info on copyrights www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html
Old 06-19-2008, 04:18 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: egc-8

Just for info on copyrights www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html
And the things that we have done here (T-shirts and parts templates) are protected by us. With all rights reserved even. But thanks for thinking about us.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 06-19-2008, 04:23 AM
Stickbuilder

Everybody Please Read This

Okay, guys. on the new run of T-shirts, you will not be able to select multiple colors. Jay is setting the run up, and we will only be able to have one color, and keep the price down. That's the way the supplier operates. We get a price break at twelve dozen shirts, but only if we only order one color. If we need to offer two colors then we have to order one gross of each of the colors, and therefore three colors equal 3 gross of shirts. We finally sold out last year, but it was a near run thing. Of sourse, after we were sold out, we could have sold more. That's just human nature.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 06-19-2008, 06:42 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Okay, guys. on the new run of T-shirts, you will not be able to select multiple colors. Jay is setting the run up, ..........

HOT DAMN

Bill, I have already sent you a PM.

I offer a big THANK YOU to you and Jay (and whoever else may be involved) for making this happen. I know that it has the potential to be a serious P I T A.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:49 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: RICKSTUBBZ

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Okay, guys. on the new run of T-shirts, you will not be able to select multiple colors. Jay is setting the run up, ..........

HOT DAMN

Bill, I have already sent you a PM.

I offer a big THANK YOU to you and Jay (and whoever else may be involved) for making this happen. I know that it has the potential to be a serious P I T A.
Actually, if everyone handles it with a pm, it's not bad. It just become difficult when guys try to order from the forum postings, and I miss one.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 06-19-2008, 09:58 PM
T.L.A.R. eng

I have just spent the better part of two weeks free time reading all 257 pages of this thread and enjoying the beautiful Waco's being built.
I have a wounded wmf-3 1/6 scale PICA that I built in 1995 hanging in the shop. I loved the way it flew with the O.S. 91 4-stroke.
It was retired two years ago after an altercation with a trailer receiver on the back of a mis-parked pickup truck.[:@][]
I have wanted to fix it but money is tight as I am now disabled but I have a few options left.
I did not realize how valuable the old PICA kits were. It was a builders dream to build and fly and I allways thought I would build another one, maybe a 1/4 scale one.
I am currently looking at taking off the covering and deciding if I can fix this one.
I would love to fly it again. Can I join the group?
Old 06-19-2008, 10:16 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: T.L.A.R. eng

I have just spent the better part of two weeks free time reading all 257 pages of this thread and enjoying the beautiful Waco's being built.
I have a wounded wmf-3 1/6 scale PICA that I built in 1995 hanging in the shop. I loved the way it flew with the O.S. 91 4-stroke.
It was retired two years ago after an altercation with a trailer receiver on the back of a mis-parked pickup truck.[:@][]
I have wanted to fix it but money is tight as I am now disabled but I have a few options left.
I did not realize how valuable the old PICA kits were. It was a builders dream to build and fly and I allways thought I would build another one, maybe a 1/4 scale one.
I am currently looking at taking off the covering and deciding if I can fix this one.
I would love to fly it again. Can I join the group?

NEW BROTHER ALERT

NEW SISTER ALERT

T.L.A.R. eng.

That looks about right......

You just became a member. You are Brother # 97.

Sue Watz (the one that keeps Dick (Brother # 79) straight is now Sister # 6

T, What do we call you? Surely your parents didn't give you such a name.....[:-] Mine named me what they did, cause they hated me. They must have, since the only time I was called by my real name, I was about to get the stink beaten out of me.....[:@]

Let's hear from you. Anyone who would spend the time reading all 257 pages has my attention.

Let us know if you need anything to get her back into the air.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 06-19-2008, 11:30 PM
T.L.A.R. eng

When I built my 1/6 version, I did it by the kit plans. One aileron servo for all for ailerons. Took alot of time to get that to work smoothly enough to satisfy me. When it flew, if you turned left with the ailerons and rudder, it allways took that little extra nudge back to the right to center the ailerons.
Learning to fly with the rudder is a must with this plane, and smooth throttle management is needed for take offs. Landings are just as honest as you could want, fly it onto the field and stop flying when it gets close to you.
I noticed the landing gear was very inadequite for my grass landing field as it kept spreading. I just thought mine was too heavy. Extra lead was needed up front even with the 91 O.S.Surpass and a heavy prop nut.
Every day I enter my shop, this is the first plane I see when I walk in. I hate the fact that it is out of flying service.
When I get done with my other project I will consider rebuilding this plane. I really hate to think of tearing off the cloth covering [super coverite] that has held up so well over the years, but is it damaged.
Did they ever use a Kinner 5 cylinder radial in one of these?
I have a 1/6 scale glow Kinner JZ5 that swings a 16" prop 6500 rpm.
I have thought of putting this radial in the nose of my WACO. Just one of my options.

Gary
Old 06-20-2008, 03:53 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: T.L.A.R. eng

When I built my 1/6 version, I did it by the kit plans. One aileron servo for all for ailerons. Took alot of time to get that to work smoothly enough to satisfy me. When it flew, if you turned left with the ailerons and rudder, it allways took that little extra nudge back to the right to center the ailerons.
Learning to fly with the rudder is a must with this plane, and smooth throttle management is needed for take offs. Landings are just as honest as you could want, fly it onto the field and stop flying when it gets close to you.
I noticed the landing gear was very inadequite for my grass landing field as it kept spreading. I just thought mine was too heavy. Extra lead was needed up front even with the 91 O.S.Surpass and a heavy prop nut.
Every day I enter my shop, this is the first plane I see when I walk in. I hate the fact that it is out of flying service.
When I get done with my other project I will consider rebuilding this plane. I really hate to think of tearing off the cloth covering [super coverite] that has held up so well over the years, but is it damaged.
Did they ever use a Kinner 5 cylinder radial in one of these?
I have a 1/6 scale glow Kinner JZ5 that swings a 16" prop 6500 rpm.
I have thought of putting this radial in the nose of my WACO. Just one of my options.

Gary
Gary,

The UMF used the Continental 7 cylinder radial. The YMF which is the same plane, only used the Jacobs 7 cylinder engine. As far as I am aware the only Waco to use the Kinner 5 cylinder was the IBA. The UMF/YME could be modified pretty easily to replicate the IBF, The cowl would be removed, and the engine fairing would be made to blend with the spinner, while leaving the cylinders exposed. The gear cover would be changed/modified, and no wheel pants would be used. There would be no front cockpit opening, and your scale would go from 1/6th to a larger scale, since the IBF wingspan is about 27'. I actually thought about doing one with the Seidel 5 cylinder radial, and may do it in a larger scale with the MOKI 150 or 250.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 06-20-2008, 09:37 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Gary, if you have a radial engine that will fly your model, go for it. Whether it looks like a Kinner, Conti or Jake, no matter. It's closer to scale than any single or twin model engine.

My data shows that WACO had three Kinner engines available. The B-5 (letter designation 'I') was a 125hp engine, not enough oomph to drag around the MF airframe. There was also the K-5, (letter designation 'K') made 100 hp. The only one big enough to sub for the Conti or Jake was the C-5 (letter designation 'O') with 210 hp. A fourth Kinner, the R-5 with 160 hp, was never used.

The only WACO's I can find that used the C-5 was the ODC and OSO, built in 1931, and the OEC, built in 1932. These were all cabin types.

Welcome to the Brotherhood, get that Waco flying
Old 06-20-2008, 10:37 AM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello all

Here's an update on the progress. Glued and SANDED balsa on fire wall, built hatch door,

cut & SANDED head rest

Bill, I'm starting to see how you come up with your saying ( just glue all the pieces together, and sand off everything that doesn't look like an airplane ) LOL

Now I have a question I'm ready to sand the elevator stabilizer and I'm a bit confused on how to do the center part Do I sand it the same as the outsides and if so how will it fit on the fuselage??
It's really starting to look like a Waco

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89406.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	974702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54198.jpg
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	974703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93584.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	974704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv60797.jpg
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	974705  
Old 06-20-2008, 10:56 AM
Wobble Wing

Back on page 251 Khodges made mention that the wing tips on the Pica plans were incorrect. I have a 1/6 Waco that I'm trying to restore and a
set of plans off of e-bay (Pica-design=Joe Hancock, plans= Dave Platt). Are these plans incorrect? What is correct and how do I find out? Thanks
for any help you can offer........

Bud
Old 06-20-2008, 12:41 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Wobble Wing

Back on page 251 Khodges made mention that the wing tips on the Pica plans were incorrect. I have a 1/6 Waco that I'm trying to restore and a
set of plans off of e-bay (Pica-design=Joe Hancock, plans= Dave Platt). Are these plans incorrect? What is correct and how do I find out? Thanks

Bud
Bud,

The Waco that Khodges was referencing, was the Cox ARF version, and not the Pica. The Pica is dead nuts on. Build by the pica, and you will be good to go.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 06-20-2008, 12:44 PM
RCBOATMANIAC

Bud
Bud,
If you got the same plans I did off Ebay, they are the same exact plans that you would have gotten if you was to buy the kits off the shelf new in box. The plans I got off Ebay are the ones I am using to build my 1/6 scale from, and everything is turning out prefectly. There is one thing I have noticed thou the plans I have that came from a kit they build the wing span all most an inch shorter compared to the plans I got off Ebay. Now after seen the pics from mrdhud I need to get back to work on mine he is passing me up. I have been screwing around working on making a mold casting so I can make fiberglass cowling for the 1/5 scale so far I have my molds made so I can make wheel pants for the 1/5 scale. After I get those molds made I am going to be making molds for the 1/6 scale cowling along with the wheel pants. I'll have to post pics after I cast the first cowling for the 1/5 scale.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:45 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: mrdhud

Hello all

Here's an update on the progress. Glued and SANDED balsa on fire wall, built hatch door,

cut & SANDED head rest

Bill, I'm starting to see how you come up with your saying ( just glue all the pieces together, and sand off everything that doesn't look like an airplane ) LOL

Now I have a question I'm ready to sand the elevator stabilizer and I'm a bit confused on how to do the center part Do I sand it the same as the outsides and if so how will it fit on the fuselage??
It's really starting to look like a Waco

Dan,

You will need to blend the leading edges into the center, and you are going to make what appears to be a fairing that blends the Vertical, Horizontal stabs and the fuselage together. Make it from typing paper (copy paper) first, and you'll see how it has to work. You will be doing the final one from something like lightweight roof flashing or lithoplate. I'll walk you through it. Just blend the leading edges with the stab pinned in place, and you will do fine. I eliminated that with the new one, with the adjustable H-Stab.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Old 06-20-2008, 12:49 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: RCBOATMANIAC

Bud
Bud,
If you got the same plans I did off Ebay, they are the same exact plans that you would have gotten if you was to buy the kits off the shelf new in box. The plans I got off Ebay are the ones I am using to build my 1/6 scale from, and everything is turning out prefectly. There is one thing I have noticed thou the plans I have that came from a kit they build the wing span all most an inch shorter compared to the plans I got off Ebay. Now after seen the pics from mrdhud I need to get back to work on mine he is passing me up. I have been screwing around working on making a mold casting so I can make fiberglass cowling for the 1/5 scale so far I have my molds made so I can make wheel pants for the 1/5 scale. After I get those molds made I am going to be making molds for the 1/6 scale cowling along with the wheel pants. I'll have to post pics after I cast the first cowling for the 1/5 scale.
Dave,

You do realize that you can get both the correct YMF cowl and the wheel pants from Stan's Fibertech don't you? Jay made the plug, and it's perfect. As for the wheel pants, you will need to section a 1/4" piece from the center of the wheel pants (front to back) on all of those that are available to get rid of the, "Porky", look.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 06-20-2008, 09:50 PM
Wobble Wing

First, thanks to all for the information and advice. Now, I have to confess, I ordered and have received a cowl for the YMF 1/6 scale from Fiberglass
Specialties before I started reading this forum. I gather that it is not correct??????? Bud
Old 06-20-2008, 10:33 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Look at the "bump" pattern. If they are evenly spaced, all around, it is a YMF cowl, as the Jacobs engine valvetrain was such that there was equal distance between the intake and exhaust rocker box of each cylinder, as well as the same distance between rocker boxes of cylinders next to each other.

If the bumps are paired, then it is for the Continental engine (UMF). The pairs of bumps that are further apart from each other are for the same cylinder, so the top of the cowl should have a wide space, with a short-spaced pair on either side, as 7 cylinder engines have the #1 cylinder straight up at the top.

UMF, or YMF, everything else on the plane was the same between them.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:04 PM
Wobble Wing

Thanks......I'm going out to the shop and check right now.......thanks again...Bud
Old 06-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Wobble Wing

Looks like I have a UMF cowl....the bumps are paired. I jumped the gun on that order. After I get a little further along, I may
order the YMF cowl. I don't know why, but I'm kind of stuck on a YMF. Thanks again, Bud
Old 06-20-2008, 11:25 PM
Stickbuilder

Bud,

This is the Brotherhood in action at it's finest. Remember what I said about sectioning a slice out of the wheel pants. They really are too fat as purchased (from everyone). I use a band saw and take a quarter inch slice out of the center, and then glass them back together. This gives the pant a more slim profile that is more scalelike, plus you get rid of the original center seam and the attendent voids, pin holes etc.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 06-20-2008, 11:51 PM
T.L.A.R. eng

Stickbuilder and Khodges, thanks for the great info on the Waco's using Kinner engines! I Googled several IBF, IBA, and INF Waco's and it looks like I have some more reading to do! Thanks!!
I never realized the Kinner was ever used on this plane.
As my Kinner K-5 engine is approx 7-1/4 inches across the rockers, it will look "about right" on the nose of my Waco.
Stickbuilder, you are the only one to recognize my logo so far Thanks for letting me join the fun!

I am going to try loading up two pictures to see if it will work.

ole # 97
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34903.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	975122   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw70927.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	975123  
Old 06-21-2008, 01:11 AM
Wobble Wing

And I really appreciate all the help. I will keep your advice on the wheel pants in mind...but that brings up
another question.....wheels. I have a pair of Williams Bros 2 1/4 inch 'vintage' wheels. Would they be appropriate?
Maybe someday I can help w/ some answers, but for now I'm all questions.

Bud
Waco Brotherhood #95

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.