Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 05:42 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

ORIGINAL: mrdhud

All,

Well, as you can see I put the pinking tape on one side of the fuselage. I don’t think I like it[:@] I’m afraid it will really stand out and look to busy. What do you think? I’m thinking about taking it off.
Dan,
Once you get the paint going, I bet it looks like you want. The hard edges will definitely go away once primer and a coat or two of paint are applied.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:28 PM
skylarkmk1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe, Bill, Ben and the rest,

Don't take what I said about John Hudek's UMF wrong, I agree that it is a good looking "Waco", built with care and excellence in craftmanship even though it was not built exactly to plans. As Ben pointed out " a replica UMF-5 is better than NO Waco at all." I happen to be in the minature replica group, but do get to see the full size stuff fly every so often.

Dan-

I agree with Bill and Rick - do a test piece and see how it looks before undoing all that work.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:51 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Dan as the others have said don't give up yet,
I would give it 2 coats of highfill primer(Dupli-Color) and then lightly sand the edges and then paint. This will give the edges a subtle look.
Anthony
Old 09-06-2008, 12:50 PM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stickbuilder & All,

I took Bill’s advice an made a sample piece and put a couple coats of primer sanding between coats and then two coats of white paint. Every one was right it really knock off the sharpness of the edges from about five feet you can hardly see it so I will finish the fuselage.

THANKS

I forgot to ask anyone if they plan to attend the monster RC show October 17-19 in Lake Wales Florida. It’s only about 10 miles from me. This is one of the planes that will be attending.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66525.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1027463   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10352.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1027464  
Old 09-06-2008, 02:52 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: mrdhud

Stickbuilder & All,

I took Bill’s advice an made a sample piece and put a couple coats of primer sanding between coats and then two coats of white paint. Every one was right it really knock off the sharpness of the edges from about five feet you can hardly see it so I will finish the fuselage.

THANKS

I forgot to ask anyone if they plan to attend the monster RC show October 17-19 in Lake Wales Florida. It’s only about 10 miles from me. This is one of the planes that will be attending.
Dan,

Glad it worked out for you.

I'll see you in Lake Wales.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 09-06-2008, 03:39 PM
aminiet

Dan.
I agree with the rest of the guys, I don't think it will be very noticeble at all once it is painted.
Can you please let me know how many feet of the tape did you order and who did you buy it from? I do have the paper pinking scissors, but it is a long tedious job i am trying to avoid.

angel
Old 09-06-2008, 04:45 PM
mrdhud

Angel

I got the pinking tape from Gary Sibert he has a pack for the 1/6 scale. I hope its enought. Give him a call in the evenings at 540 667 2877
Old 09-06-2008, 07:30 PM
WacoNut

Dan,
Take an inventory of your tape, I doubt he included tape for the fuse. Just a thought.
Anthony
Old 09-07-2008, 03:55 PM
WacoNut

Been doing some more detailing work to the Waco, still need to finish the landing lights and aileron connecting rods.
Here are some pics!!
Anthony

Name:	Yv65807.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	1028169   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29695.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1028170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88806.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	1028171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi15704.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	1028172  
Old 09-07-2008, 06:08 PM
mrdhud

Anthony

You mite be right I used one of two rolls on the fuselage. I’ll do the tops of the wings first and see where I’m at. Hate to order more.[:@][:@]

I’ll say it again you sure have a beautiful Waco
Old 09-07-2008, 07:08 PM
WacoNut

Thanks Dan,
Unfortunately I think you will find you will need to order at least one more roll. I used 108 ft of rib tape on my Waco and I didn't do the fuselage. Gary was shocked when I ordered that much rib tape, I only had 14" left over
Anthony
Old 09-07-2008, 08:27 PM
RPSBLS

I would like to join theWACO Brotherhood.

Thanks

Bob Sawyer AMA 11572
email: [email protected]
Old 09-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Stickbuilder

NEW BROTHER ALERT !!!!

Bob, Welcome to the Brotherhood. You are Brother #113.

Let's all give Bob a warm welcome. He's going to be building a YMF from the AMA plans/templates.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 09-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Sir Crashalot

RPSBLS (Bob S.)

Welcome Aboard! Looking forward to your build.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:58 AM
mrdhud

RPSBLS Welcome Bob,

You’ve come to the right place for the AMA Waco YMF I can’t tell you how much help I’ve got from every one here. Looking forward in your build
Old 09-08-2008, 08:17 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: WacoNut

Thanks Dan,
Unfortunately I think you will find you will need to order at least one more roll. I used 108 ft of rib tape on my Waco and I didn't do the fuselage. Gary was shocked when I ordered that much rib tape, I only had 14" left over
Anthony
Anthony,

Two wings do take in a lot of acerage don't they? I'm presently adding the rib stitching to the Horizontal Stabilizer, and with the 7/16" spacing, that's taking nearly forever. Can't wait to get going on the wings. Lemme see here......all those ribs, and about 32 stitches per rib......Oh Lordy!!!!!

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 09-09-2008, 05:43 AM
STICK MODE

Just wondering if I could ask a few questions here about the lazy ace 76 inch power by a 26 gas motor its been rebuilt and over 14 years old not my plane but got asked to do the maiden last weekend 20 feet and she was up ( big smile ) right gentle bank and wow no response more stick “he thinks” then extreme grab with the right upper aileron this was set up running a y lead to 2 servos same day I put a rudder mix in results= a@s tighting to say the least just increased the reaction nice to fly straight and level lands easy in fact im sure there’s a brail stick with it does lovely slow loops straight and true it’s the lack of reaction to input in the turns followed by extreme reaction at the end of the stick travel so what ive done is this removed the futaba servos 3001s replaced them with futaba 9202s set then to run on channel 1 and seven and set up aileron differential 100% up and 40% down can I have your thoughts on this set up this ace does not want to turn set up on the y lead So I am thinking its extreme yaw or drag caused by the lower aileron I have checked the plane center of grav is spot on wings are straight and true and level with the air frame in fact nice plane any input here would be welcome cheers
Old 09-09-2008, 12:54 PM
SuperCub Man

Hi Guys,
Had a bit of fun last night at my Flying Club monthly meeting. They knew I belonged to the "Waco Brotherhood" so I took the opportunity of dressing up like "Brother 56 of the Waco Brotherhood" when I introduced my model to the assembly. Here's a couple of pix that showed the fun I had and a couple of angles of the model. I am taking photos probably next week with the full scale job. Waiting for a nice sunny day with little wind! I'll post more pix at that time. Good time was had by all and the model was well received!
(Don't ask where I got the Caftan - it's a long story from many years ago!)

Name:	Yy74253.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1029700   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98780.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1029701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot49219.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	1029702  
Old 09-09-2008, 01:04 PM
kvlasblom

Sorry Jim, just curious... Does your club meet in a school?
Model looks great by the way!
Old 09-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Stickbuilder

I may be the leader of the Brotherhood, but I ain't wearin' nothing that vaguely resembles that getup. Jim, that's a hoot! Plane looks great though.....By the way, who's the old Fart?

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 09-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: STICK MODE

Just wondering if I could ask a few questions here about the lazy ace 76 inch power by a 26 gas motor its been rebuilt and over 14 years old not my plane but got asked to do the maiden last weekend 20 feet and she was up ( big smile ) right gentle bank and wow no response more stick “he thinks” then extreme grab with the right upper aileron this was set up running a y lead to 2 servos same day I put a rudder mix in results= a@s tighting to say the least just increased the reaction nice to fly straight and level lands easy in fact im sure there’s a brail stick with it does lovely slow loops straight and true it’s the lack of reaction to input in the turns followed by extreme reaction at the end of the stick travel so what ive done is this removed the futaba servos 3001s replaced them with futaba 9202s set then to run on channel 1 and seven and set up aileron differential 100% up and 40% down can I have your thoughts on this set up this ace does not want to turn set up on the y lead So I am thinking its extreme yaw or drag caused by the lower aileron I have checked the plane center of grav is spot on wings are straight and true and level with the air frame in fact nice plane any input here would be welcome cheers
Stickmode,

You can try removing more of the down aileron, but I wonder how much Expo he has dialed in...? How much rudder is available? Try removing the aileron to rudder mix, and flying the model, checking if aileron input causes yaw to the opposite side (adverse). Next try rudder inputs to see if the model will yaw with rudder only. Next try a coordinated turn. I think the problem that he is having is in the radio setup. I have built a few Lazy Aces, and they were all good flying models.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 09-09-2008, 03:48 PM
WacoNut

Bill,
I think I calulated 2500 rib stitches give or take a couple What method are you using? I used Elmers out of a syringe for mine and I like the results, you just have to be careful to put out the same size line for each stitch. You can actually make them pretty quick once you get the hang of it. I just made a template to mark the locations then went back with the glue. It took alot longer to add the rib tape than the stitches but it's all part of the fun.
Anthony
Old 09-09-2008, 03:49 PM
WacoNut

Jim,
Beautiful Waco you have there, you should be proud. Can't wait to see the pics with the 1:1.
Anthony
Old 09-09-2008, 05:53 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: WacoNut

Bill,
I think I calulated 2500 rib stitches give or take a couple What method are you using? I used Elmers out of a syringe for mine and I like the results, you just have to be careful to put out the same size line for each stitch. You can actually make them pretty quick once you get the hang of it. I just made a template to mark the locations then went back with the glue. It took alot longer to add the rib tape than the stitches but it's all part of the fun.
Anthony
I'm still using the old fashioned method of adhering tiny little pieces of thread with Nitrate Dope. I'm using curling paper (from a beauty supply house), also applied using Nitrate. It goes very slow, but you do have the luxury of being able to move them about until the Dope dries. You still need to be cautious about the denier of thread that you use, otherwise you will end up with rib stitching that is too large. I'll post some pics once I get the Horizontal Stab stitched and taped.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 09-09-2008, 10:21 PM
SuperCub Man

kvlasblom - Sorry Jim, just curious... Does your club meet in a school? Yes it does!

Stickbuilder - .....By the way, who's the old Fart? It's Brother #56 of course!!

Thanks for the kind comments. More pix to follow, but no more of "the Brother" !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.