Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 03:17 PM
airplanegeek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

Ace,

Glad to see your back in the action. As for me I have reweighed my waco without any weight in the nose. It now ballances perfectly over the rear wing attach screws. I beleive that to be in the 35% range which from what I read is a good aft cg for a biplane. how about your ballance since you removed the weight, where is it at?

the discussion that was made here some hundred or so posts ago has me a bit confussed. Apparantly some were using the rear spar on the top wing to ballance, which I am still a ways away from. there was never any real concensus that I read about it. Stickbuilder? any update. Apparantly some were flying the AMR waco at 40% mac ????

so for me, I am still testing -trying to make it as light as possible.

Cheers
Old 09-14-2011, 03:53 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank's airplanegeek. I originally was balanced around the 35% mark. I liked how it flew-buuut- I decided to go ahead and balance to around 28%. That took 20oz on the nose. Flew several times that way, did not like it, so I removed that weight. I do have one advantage with my tail heavy plane though. I have the adjustable stabilizer to pick the tail up.
I would suggest balancing at the 28-30% range to start with though.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:20 PM
acerc

As for weight I did not build light but still came in, what I consider light at 16.5lbs. I can say as for flight. This thing will fly real slow I mean real slow. And so far I have not seen any stall left or right, just keep's getting slower with more nose up attitude until the nose drops.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:37 PM
ceije

ORIGINAL: themaj

I like popular for spars. Fairly light and has a nice degree of flex...Carbon Fiber is the best but also expensive. Any of the Barth guys on tonight? I working on my 1/3 scale and would like to know what folks have used for fuel/smoke tanks (size and location). I am building around the MOKI 250.
themaj,

this may not be much help, but i plan on using a 32 oz. fuel tank (i'll never run a full tank, just nice to have) and a 12 oz. smoke tank in my 1/4 barth with a satio 325 radial. fuel tank to be mounted as directly under the center wing section as represent the real tanks which are in the center of the upper wing. smoke tank will be as balast either fwd. or aft.

chris melhus ceije, brother #196
Old 09-14-2011, 04:52 PM
acerc

Chris, I'm thinking of doing a Barth 1/4 come febuary. If you have a number of photos of your build and would not mind PM them to me. Like to get a good idea of whats to come.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:18 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL:

...fuel tank to be mounted as directly under the center wing section as represent the real tanks which are in the center of the upper wing. smoke tank will be as balast either fwd. or aft.
Chris, I do nor understand how you can "ballast" with a smoke tank? unless you are planning on not using the smoke[X(]
Old 09-15-2011, 08:43 AM
bhall01
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Barth 1/4 scale question(s)

Ihave the kit and am about ready to 'begin the journey', but have a few questions before starting. At first glance the plans look great - a very nice job. However, as you study the plans and instructions with more of an 'eye' toward the actual build, it becomes apparent that by design there seems to be no access to the fuselage interior. No upper hatch like is so common on a lot of the modern ARFs. No removable lower-wing center section, as is the access point on the Pica Wacos and the new GPARF.

Seems like not only a good idea, but pretty much a necessityto have interior access to install and maintainyour radio gear, batteries, fuel system, etc.... So how are others out there addressing the 'access situation'? Have considered the following:

>Make the bottom wing center section removeable. Not really an easy task as designed with the FG fairings completely wrapping the wing, it would make for numerous complications.... doable, but not pretty! Probably be easier to ditch the FGfairings and go back to built-up wood fairings like on my old 1/6th scale Pica Waco.

>Make an upper hatch from the rear of theaft cockpit to the front former just in front of the forward cockpit. Again, doable Isuppose, would require some heftyre-engineering of the existing design. Concerns about structural integrity, especially with regard to the upper wing mounting.

>"Ship in a bottle"approach..... do everything through the cockpit floors.

Ihave looked through the various indexed sections of this threadas kindly sorted out on page #1, have not seen anything addressing this access question...... and with almost 14,000 replies.... well, not too practical to just go browsing!

Appreciate any suggestions any of you may have. Iam not at all new to building - been at it 30+years, so I have no doubt I'll come up with something.... but Ifigure 'why re-invent the wheel' if someone already has cracked this nut!

Thanks all

Barry Hall

Old 09-15-2011, 08:57 AM
acerc

Barry my rudder, elevator and stabilizer servo's are between the front and rear cockpit area. Easily accesssible with the wing off. The throttle and choke servo's are in the front cockpit area with a removable cover. The on-off controls are in the luggage compartment. Easy access to all.

Got in six flight's today and all is working/ running great. Love this plane.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:58 AM
FMBB

Hi Barry,

there are three possibilities to have access to the interior. First ist the hatch behind the cockpit below the turtle deck. I am using this for the servos (at least for the elevator and the rudder). The receiver may be placed on the bottom of the cockpit below the pilots seat if you intend to install a pilots seat. Before the cockpit in the fwd area there is a large ply cover, simulating the fwd. cockpit. The cover is screwed to the ply sheeting of the fwd fuselage. You may find this cover on the large ply sheets in the kit. It is more or less a circle which a section cut off. Thru this cover you may install the tank and battery. If you think this is not enough you may make use of the side access doors aft of the fire wall. This is not described in the plan but could be easily manufactured by yourself.

Enjoy building and if there are more questions please do not hesitate to contact me via this block. I may enter it form time to time.

Best regards
Peter

# Brother 170
Old 09-15-2011, 09:15 AM
acerc

I have one of the doors for fueling.
Finally got some flying wire's, several flight's and no stretch. 2-56 pushrods not exactly scale but then neither is my plane.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:52 AM
pimmnz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't worry, I use 1/16" steel welding rod for my 1/4 Waco rigging wires, been there for 12 years now, bit rusty but still the same length as built. Yes, it won't fly without them, the wings will fold up and fall off...
Evan, WB #12.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:55 AM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

Hello all,

Well, I really went and did it today not once but twice. The first time I attempted to take off I ended up side down cracked the wheel pants but other then that ok should have stopped then but I went at it again and I believe the correct term is tip stall about ten feet off the ground hit hard and broke both wings, wheel pant, Bent landing gear and broke the stabilizer O I also busted up the cowl pretty good. Needless to say I was pretty upset and ready to give up and say it wasn’t meant to be but by the time I got home I cooled down and got in the repair mode. It will take some time but she will fly again.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12874.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	1662683  
Old 09-15-2011, 12:30 PM
ceije

acerc,

robert,

i'll bring you a disk of photos next month when i attend monster planes, unless you want to start gathering sooner. i'm just finishing up my last wing panel after which sanding and assembly. pictures will be of rough finish but i'll give you what i think your asking for. if there's anything special send me an e-mail, its the least i can do.

chris melhus ceije #196

"sometimes you havt to make it a little wrong in order to look right"-DAVE PLATT-
Old 09-15-2011, 12:46 PM
ceije

FMBB,

Peter,

As I stater in my last post I'm just finishing the final wing panel, and i've run into a snag. if I count right there are 32 strut attachment in the kit ( 1/4 ),well 31 of the 32 were the same size 20mm X 30mm and one smaller 20mm X 26mm picture enclosed also I'm missing one nut M3. [][] Also I would like to purchase an extra cowl, I like to plain ahead.

chris melhus ceije #196
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75042.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	1662726  
Old 09-15-2011, 01:28 PM
acerc

Sounds good Chris see you next month.
Evan I will have to remember that next Febuary when I start one.

I was there for Dans misfortune and it was very disheartning. Glad to hear your going to repair it Dan. Really enjoy our get togethers with these planes.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:24 PM
rccrasher65
My Feedback: (35)

Dan, sorry to hear about the plane, you know as well as I that she will fly again,we all go through it one time or another, I crashed more than my fare share of planes, thats why my daughter gave me the nick name rccrasher. I hope the repairs go well and she will fly again.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:25 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dan,

This is the perfect opportunity to do the wing modification. I hated to see that picture, but, it is rebuildable. You did build it once, and you can do it again.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 09-16-2011, 03:26 AM
skypup50

ORIGINAL: mrdhud

Hello all,

Well, I really went and did it today not once but twice. The first time I attempted to take off I ended up side down cracked the wheel pants but other then that ok should have stopped then but I went at it again and I believe the correct term is tip stall about ten feet off the ground hit hard and broke both wings, wheel pant, Bent landing gear and broke the stabilizer O I also busted up the cowl pretty good. Needless to say I was pretty upset and ready to give up and say it wasn’t meant to be but by the time I got home I cooled down and got in the repair mode. It will take some time but she will fly again.

Was it a CG problem, wing incidence, washout in the tips or getting off to slow? Thanks for the insights.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:49 AM
skypup50

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Dan,

This is the perfect opportunity to do the wing modification. I hated to see that picture, but, it is rebuildable. You did build it once, and you can do it again.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

I just picked up a complete 60" Pica kit on ebay for $101.00. This thread is so long I'm wondering about the wing mod being referred to? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:54 AM
skypup50

Since the Pica kit was developed before the advent of the 4 stroke engine I'm wondering what mods are needed to use one? Hobby People has their 4 strokes on sale and it's a consideration. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:54 AM
Jim Henley

That is a tough break Dan, but I suspect you will have it in the air again in no time.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:30 AM
FMBB

Hi Chris,

sorry for that. We changed the size of the fairings to enable the installation of the screws keeping the fairing in place sure below the main bar. I will sent you the correct part and the nut. Sent me a PM with your address. As far as the cowling is concerned we are waiting for our supplier to deliver the next bunch. They are expected to be available end of this month. I will have to ship any way some of these items to Vogelsang so I will add you cowling to the others.

Sorry for the inconvenience

Peter
Old 09-16-2011, 08:47 AM
skylarkmk1

skypup50,

Check the House of Moy for the manuals http://www.houseofmoy.com/waco/ . The revised short manual has most of the changes developed by the Brotherhood including engine mounting, wing strengthening, tail wheel relocation etc. The manuals are for the 1/5th scale but will work for the 1/6th scale as well except for sizes (you will have to adjust them to fit).

The wing mod refered to is Dan's redesign of the wing tip to be more scale in appearance. The tip as built per the plans looks like a Sport RC tip and is way out of scale. go back a few pages and you can find Dan's tip mod being developed (it took a few tries but now is looking very scale like).
Old 09-16-2011, 09:30 AM
rccrasher65
My Feedback: (35)

Skypup50, I have the same kit you just purchased 1/6 scale .you will find everything is the same as 1/5 except for size. I have noticed that the instruction manuel is inadequate. go to the web site that has been suggested, download both versions, very helpful. I'm also building the 1/5 scale, at the present, enjoy.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:07 AM
skypup50

Thanks guys. I had this kit all built back in the 70's and sold it due to my work obligations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.