Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

FLIEGLASS PAGAN

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 04:11 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FLIEGLASS PAGAN

Going thru my stash of kits,I found this old vintage kit.believe it is pre 70's and a patern type from the poor picture on the box.I actually do not remember this plane and i started r/c in 1970.I do remember the p-40 and p-51 that flitglass made but would like to hear from anyone that flew or built this plane
Old 07-29-2006, 05:12 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: FLIEGLASS PAGAN

I built and flew the Pagan in the late 60s. Nice looking aircraft. Ralph White was the owner of the company then and his shop was in south Seattle. A very nice guy and I’ve wondered what happened to him. I used an Enya 60 for power and it had fixed gear. As I recall it flew pretty well but some guys built them too heavy. Some of the kits also had the horizontal stab cutout scribed incorrectly on the fuselage. So check the incidence carefully before cutting the fuse for the stab. The fuselage is polyester so you want to glass the parts to the fuse with polyester resin.

I built his P-51 but was disappointed with the thick wing tips and didn’t finish the paint work. He also had a 40 size pattern kit called the Bandito and of course Ralph Brooke’s Gladiator.

Here is a picture for you!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21819.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	498720   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16158.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	498721  
Old 07-29-2006, 05:36 PM
aerowoof

Ok,
So with todays equipment an a new rjl k61 how to you think it would fly compared to the original setup you had?
Old 07-29-2006, 06:10 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it would be fine if you built it light and that would be a lot easier with today’s lighter radio gear, MonoKote for the wing and keep the fuselage light. Most likely you will need to move the firewall back for the newer engines. Can’t remember if it came with the firewall installed. I would go with a side mounted engine. Not much room in the nose for retract gear.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:14 PM
Ralph White

Hello, Came across this thread and thought I would say HI. My wife, Martha, and I now live in Illinois. We moved the Fliteglas Models company here in Dec 1973. Ended up selling Fliteglas to Bob Dively Models in 1983. I had to sell because I became allergic to fiberlas resin. I quit flying in 1983. This month I just bought a new radio and a used Aeromaster bipe. Plan to start flying again as soon as I can get the Aeromaster re-built. I can't wait !!
Thank you 8178 for the very kind words. I would love to know who you are. I asume you must be from the Seattle area. We miss the Seattle area but our family is here in Illinois.
E-mail me if you like.
Ralph and Martha White, Neoga, IL
Old 12-17-2007, 09:33 PM
oldpilotrex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I designed and built the Pagan Mk1 and 2, as well as the P-51, P-40, Bandito and a couple of glider kits. Sold out to Rqalph White in I think "67 and am very happy to hear that you are alive and still flying Ralph. I had heard that you had died from fiberglass allergys, but glad to know reports of your demise are greatly exagerated. Would like to chat with you sometime. I am receiving a Fliteglass P-51 for Christmas according to my son who used to hotwire all the wings for the kits. Probably it is one that you made, won't know until I get it. Plan to build it up. With the new radio and lightweight retracts available now and a 70 size 4 cycle, it should fly well and be a whole lot lighter than what we could build in the 60's. I would also like to get a Bandito kit if someone has one of them somewhere. If you read this Ralph, My email is [email protected] Please get in touch. Rex taylor
Old 12-29-2007, 11:42 AM
Ralph White

Hi Rex, Glad to hear from you. I often wondered if you were still in the hobby. I sold Fliteglas Models to Bob Dively in about 1984. He has since sold to someone else. I did become allergic to resin. That was the reason I sold Fliteglas. I stopped flying after selling in 1984 and just now starting to fly again. I have a son, Nick 33 yrs, who is also starting to fly. Hope you got the Fliteglas P-51 for Christmas as you mentioned. I still have the two I built for myself. I flew one from 1972 until 1978 (1200 flights without a crash). The 2nd one I built in 1978. Flew it until 1984, never crashed either, but pancaked on runway once on low pass w/roll (no damage except scratched paint on bottoom). Won the Nationals Sport Scale event with it in 1978. Check my home page for a picture. The only thing I changed from the stock kit was thinning the wing tip down to make the plane look more scale. I think it flys a little better also. I can measure the tip thickness if your interested in thinning the tips on yours. It did not affect the handling or stalling of the plane at all. I also changed the aileron and flap hinging to be more scale (added a little weight). Send me some pictures of your new P-51 when you get time. Be glad to answer any questions.
Talk to you later,
Ralph and Martha White, Neoga, IL
Old 12-31-2007, 11:18 PM
THERCAV8R
My Feedback: (283)

Hi, I have a Pagan MK II kit. A friend of mine flew one of these in the late 60's and early 70's to great sucess in the old AMA B class pattern. Then switched to the Ralph Brook Galdiator for Class D Expert. I built a Galdiator as well and is one of the best flying pattern planes of that era. The Pagan was a great flying bird but is cramped for retract instalation, but no one was using them when it was designed. I had contacted Bob Daively Models about producing some Galdiator Kits but he was not very interested. I wish when folks buy out old kit lines they would produce them instead of letting them just die on the vine. I tried to get him to sell the Gladiator mold and he would not even talk about it. He did not mention that he even had or owned the Pagan Mold. any good luck with the Pagan it is a great model of its era.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:07 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

I found this thread in a search and thought I'd jump in since it is not too old. I now own an unbuilt Fliteglas Pagan MKII kit... From Auburn, WA by way to Tucson, AZ. Not a whole lot of info out there on these, I'm glad to find atleast a few people who know of the plane. I plan to build it this summer but more than likely it will be this fall when the flying season slows back down.

Edit: Pics added

Name:	Wu60344.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	914494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54799.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	914495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51459.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	914496   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq41755.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	914497  
Old 03-26-2008, 11:17 PM
Acs_guitars

A few more.... I am sure it is not 100% complete, but I have the major components and the wing cores are in great shape.

Name:	Wu61607.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	914551   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92278.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	914552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ua70660.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	914553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91129.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	914554   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42676.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	914555  
Old 03-29-2008, 05:34 PM
Acs_guitars

I started a thread in the Classic Pattern Forum for this and will mainly post info there. I am now in contact with Rex Taylor and he has given me a few build and set-up tips for when the build begins. [8D]

Cany any of you (Ralph would be the one) tell me if this is during the Rex Taylor or Ralph White years of the Company?
Old 03-29-2008, 06:39 PM
Ralph White

Hi Adam, Looks to me like your Pagen kit is one that Rex made before I purchased the company. I built and flew one of the Pagen kits we produced. It was a good flying pattern ship but only lasted about 6 flights before my radio quit. It was in the early 70's. I don't have the molds or anything from the company. I gave everything to Bob Dively when it bought the company from me and my wife, Martha. I'll check out the post in the classic pattern thread.
Ralph White, Neoga, IL.