Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Miss Martha

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 10:05 PM
flyerdave
My Feedback: (212)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miss Martha

Does anyone have a Miss Martha kit that they would sell. Have a new os 46 that needs a home. Loved the one that I had for about 3 years. May not be a 3-D like some of the new models, but that was one special plane. Thanks
Old 08-08-2006, 10:42 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Miss Martha

Dave I have the cad plans. I actually scaled them down and built an .049 version a few months back. I lengthened the nose for balance with a Cox, but the plans I have are for the original design. I can email them to you.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_41...tm.htm#4198414
Old 08-09-2006, 05:33 AM
Dr1Driver

I also have original Martha plans in DWG format. Let me know if you want them and I'll e-Mail them to you.

Dr.1
Old 08-11-2006, 10:14 AM
Seatonflyer

I am building a Miss Martha right now. I was looking for a stick type plane to fly. I didn't want an ARF and found it tough to find a kit. Had a Miss Martha laser cut out as a short kit and am now getting around to building. My fuse is built and the wing is on the jig. Hopefully she will be a "flier". I can also email the plans if anyone needs.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:22 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those that didn't know, Bob Richards, the original designer of the Miss Martha... still has plan available and is seen from time to time as TOPRUDDER here on RCU..... He may have to authorize a laser cut kit.... whatcha think Bob????

Dan

Carolina Custom Aircraft
Old 01-30-2007, 09:40 AM
toprudder

ORIGINAL: Deadstik
For those that didn't know, Bob Richards, the original designer of the Miss Martha... still has plan available and is seen from time to time as TOPRUDDER here on RCU..... He may have to authorize a laser cut kit.... whatcha think Bob????
Dan,

Good to see you at the BARKS swap meet.

There is a guy in Texas that cuts short kits, (ribs etc) for the Martha. I'm not sure if this is the original design with the balsa sides, or the Model Engineering design with the lite ply sides. Anyway, you can contact him at [email protected]. [link=http://www.lazer-works.com/misc.html]Lazer Works[/link]

Yes, I still have plans available.

Bob Richards.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:57 AM
Dr1Driver

Bob,

Personally, I believe the Miss Martha is arguably the best all around sport plane ever designed, possibly with the exception of the venerable original Sweet Stik.

I'm glad to hear plans are still available. Do you know of anyone planning to re-full kit this design? Most young fliers don't know about the Miss Martha, but should. As the designer, do you think a Miss Martha kit would sell in today's market?

Dr.1
Old 01-30-2007, 11:35 AM
toprudder

ORIGINAL: Dr1Driver
I'm glad to hear plans are still available. Do you know of anyone planning to re-full kit this design? Most young fliers don't know about the Miss Martha, but should. As the designer, do you think a Miss Martha kit would sell in today's market?
Thanks for the kind words.

I've thought a lot about the Martha and if it would sell in today's market. It would almost certainly have to be an ARF to compete. There are a lot of Stick derivatives around that seem to be doing fairly well, so I think a Martha could still sell. I have also thought about what changes need to be made to make it more appealing, mainly larger control surfaces for 3D ability. But, that would probably mean it would not do as well at the high-speed stuff it is known for.

I've wanted to build an electric powered version, and I have always wanted a twin fuselage, twin engine version as well. Maybe someday....

Bob R.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Dr1Driver

That's a dilema, Bob. You increase the size of the control surfaces to give it 3D capability and you kill the high speed capability it was capable of and famous for. I remember the VERY wide speed envelope the Miss Martha had. You can add flaps like the new generation Sticks, but it doesn't really need them. The airfoil allows for landings-at-a-walk.

Maybe a ARC (almost ready to cover) version would work. Laser cut pieces would be almost mandatory as would be "all hardware included".

I remember flying the Miss Martha in fun flys. I also flew the Hots, and Piranha (a Dave Watson design). I also had a Little Stik I put a Como .51 on. <evil grin> My current sport plane is a "fat wing" Piranha with a Webra Speed .32 on it. Awesome!

Dr.1
Old 01-30-2007, 02:41 PM
toprudder

That's a dilema, Bob. You increase the size of the control surfaces to give it 3D capability and you kill the high speed capability it was capable of and famous for. I remember the VERY wide speed envelope the Miss Martha had. You can add flaps like the new generation Sticks, but it doesn't really need them. The airfoil allows for landings-at-a-walk.

Maybe a ARC (almost ready to cover) version would work. Laser cut pieces would be almost mandatory as would be "all hardware included".

I remember flying the Miss Martha in fun flys. I also flew the Hots, and Piranha (a Dave Watson design). I also had a Little Stik I put a Como .51 on. <evil grin> My current sport plane is a "fat wing" Piranha with a Webra Speed .32 on it. Awesome!
David Watson! Haven't heard that name in a long time. He was getting big into fun-fly competition about the time I was getting out. He was a VERY good competitor, and super nice as well.

If I were to build a Martha now, I would lighten it up a little and use an OS .32. You can do so much with laser cutting now (lightening holes, truss structures) that were difficult or time consuming to do 30 years ago.

I suspect, without too many changes, you could get a Martha to do torque rolls. I was hovering them back in 1980. But for rolling harriers, you would need much bigger ailerons.

FWIW, Jerry Smith had an extension of his "Big Boy" design at the RDRC Fly-for-Tots, called "Spoiler". He had an OS 1.60 on it, with really large surfaces, and my son was doing awesome 3D stuff with it.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:59 PM
Dr1Driver

David Watson! Haven't heard that name in a long time.
Yea, Dave and I were in the same club back then. You're right, he's a super nice guy. I can give you a few other names. Mac Hodges, Harold Parker, Dan Stevens.

If I were to build a Martha now, I would lighten it up a little and use an OS .32.
Chris Plumbley and I did that. I built a Martha and got it down to 3.5 pounds with an OS .32. It was a good competitor. We were all flying full size Stiks, Marthas, Hots, etc. at 4-4.5 pounds with hot .40-.50 engines. Mac Hodges showed up one day at a local competition with a profile fuselage plane that weighed about 3.5 pounds and an OS. 32 on it. While we were doing full circle touch and gos at 10-15 seconds, he whupped our butts with figure 8 touch and goes at about 6 seconds. We learned about "light and tight-low and slow" that day.

I suspect, without too many changes, you could get a Martha to do torque rolls.

Dunno about that, but a MM will do a flat spin like nothing else!

FWIW, Jerry Smith had an extension of his "Big Boy" design at the RDRC Fly-for-Tots, called "Spoiler".
That's cool. I see Jerry and some of the old crowd occasionally. I have the plans for the Big Boy, but haven't had time to build it. Jerry designs some really good planes and I've seen a Big Boy fly. Too bad there never was giant scale fun fly.

Dr.1
Old 01-30-2007, 04:57 PM
toprudder

[quote]ORIGINAL: Dr1Driver
Yea, Dave and I were in the same club back then. You're right, he's a super nice guy. I can give you a few other names. Mac Hodges, Harold Parker, Dan Stevens.
I know Mac Hodges, I've heard of the others. When I was cutting out Martha kits, Mac sold more than anyone else. I shipped 6 at a time to him, on more than one occasion. Someone that I flew against was James Barr. I have a nice story to tell about that.

Mac Hodges showed up one day at a local competition with a profile fuselage plane that weighed about 3.5 pounds and an OS. 32 on it. While we were doing full circle touch and gos at 10-15 seconds, he whupped our butts with figure 8 touch and goes at about 6 seconds. We learned about "light and tight-low and slow" that day.
Reminds me of when I flew against James Barr. He had a Sweet Stick with a piped Rossi 60. I had a Martha that was probably 3.75lbs with a Como .51, but I never got over about 1/3 throttle, while James was banging the throttle and everything else. I just kept it in a small figure 8, like you said, and averaged less than 6 seconds per.

Dunno about that, but a MM will do a flat spin like nothing else!
It would spin better than anything, period! I've done 96 spins in 1.5 minutes, counting time to install the plug, start, and takeoff. I also did over 190 turns in one drop (flat spin into a thermal!!).

That's cool. I see Jerry and some of the old crowd occasionally. I have the plans for the Big Boy, but haven't had time to build it. Jerry designs some really good planes and I've seen a Big Boy fly. Too bad there never was giant scale fun fly.
IIRC, Jerry designed the Big Boy just so he could do fun-fly type stuff at a giant scale fly-in. Kinda shook things up a bit, I imagine.

Bob R.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:35 PM
Dr1Driver

Yea, I knew James well. Flew against David Grantham and Azaar, too. Ken Jackson flying barefoot so he could "get a good hold". Jerry coming to the flight line with a trash bag stuck in his belt. People removing the prop in teh pit so you couldn't know what they were running. Others covering the ends of the wings so the airfoil couldn't be seen. The rumor that Jerry Smith's airfoil was the planform of a SSBN fairwater plane. All posturing and psyching each other out. If there was a four event meet, some people brought 4 planes. If you practiced hard, you went through about a plane a week. A 2.5 pound plane!! If I remember, it didn't survive the first hard landing.

I also did over 190 turns in one drop (flat spin into a thermal!!).

That wasn't you at a fun fly in Bristol, Tennessee too many years ago, was it? I watched a MM do almost the same thing there. We were counting: one........ two........ three........ four. It was taking about two seconds per spin and not losing any altitude!

I can just see the faces of the giant scale crowd when Jerry pulled out that Big Boy!!

Dr.1
Old 01-30-2007, 09:10 PM
toprudder

That wasn't you at a fun fly in Bristol, Tennessee too many years ago, was it? I watched a MM do almost the same thing there. We were counting: one........ two........ three........ four. It was taking about two seconds per spin and not losing any altitude!

I can just see the faces of the giant scale crowd when Jerry pulled out that Big Boy!!
No, that was not me.

I wish I could have been there the first time Jerry flew his Big Boy at a giant scale meet.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:46 AM
East RC

Who would be interested in seeing an ARF of the Miss Martha?

This is for R&D purposes. Thanks guys!
Old 10-02-2007, 10:22 AM
Dr1Driver

I don't want to see an ARF of anything. Kits rule!

Dr.1
Old 10-02-2007, 11:06 AM
East RC

Well, unfortunately, from a business and consumer stand point it is much cheaper to produce ARF's over kits. If you are interested please let me know. This will determine whether or not one will be produced.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:11 PM
toprudder

When the Martha first came out, kits WERE the rule. People that scratchbuilt were the exception. I have to admit that I have sold a lot of plans over the years.

Today, however, ARFs are the rule. Someone that builds a kit is the exception. To make it worse, some people just getting into the hobby think they ARE building a kit when they glue two wing halfs of an ARF together. Scratchbuild today? Wow, far and few between, especially when there are places that can lazer cut a short kit for you.

Not saying it is bad or good either way, just saying it is different. Times have changed, people have less free time. It is hard to justify building a kit when an ARF is so cheap. The quality of the ARFs today FAR surpass the ARFs that existed 30 years ago.

I would love to see the Martha ARF'd, but then I am very biased.

Bob R.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:13 PM
Dr1Driver

Well, unfortunately, from a business and consumer stand point it is much cheaper to produce ARF's over kits.
Well, unfortunately, I wouldn't buy one.

If you are interested please let me know.
NOT interested. I got the original plans and can build one myself cheaper than either a kit OR an ARF.

Dr.1
Old 10-02-2007, 12:14 PM
East RC

Wasn't the question "Who WOULD be"?
Old 10-02-2007, 12:21 PM
East RC

Thanks DR1! Your extra friendly commentary is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Dr1Driver

Wasn't the question "Who WOULD be"?

Then I am outta this thread.

Dr.1
Old 10-03-2007, 10:25 AM
Tweek

I don't want to see an ARF of anything. Kits rule!

Dr.1
There are still some folks who build kits, and we may offer this in a kit as well, depending on response. This was just an initial check to see if people were familiar with the Ms. Martha from back in the funfly days, and if there was any interest in it. We're in the process of bring a few other types of older planes back into production, and this was one of the more popular airplanes in the southeast U.S. from that era.

Dave
Old 10-15-2007, 07:47 AM
charlie hepler

hey...Dr1Driver
Would it be possible to get a copy of the Miss Martha Plans from you? My email is [email protected].

I want to scratchbuild one of these planes that I so lovingly flew back in the day!! I used to fly at the Winston Salem Hobbby-Park back in the early 80s.

charlie
Old 10-15-2007, 07:49 AM
charlie hepler

Tweek and EastRC
I certainly would be interested in a kit or ARF. Let me know how soon I can get one!!

charlie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.