Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Anyone ID this aircraft

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Anyone ID this aircraft

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 08:47 PM
blood_hound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ID this aircraft

All I'm sure of at this point is it was a free flight with an ignition engine and timer. I've had it close to 20 years and its been sitting most of it out in the garage. Anyone have an idea on what kit it is? Wingtips, leading edge of vert and horz tail are metal. Wingspan roughly 54" lenth 34"

Old 08-16-2006, 09:28 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Anyone ID this aircraft

As far as what it is a model of I would say it is A Ryan PT-20 trainer more nice pics here:
http://www.wingsanthings.flyer.co.uk/Ryan.html Oops! I may be mistaken. The holes for the cockpits are not quite the same. But the paint scheme would be similar.

As for the Mfg. of the model or date I could not say. Really nice tho. I would proudly fixe'r up and display it myself. First I would clean it up real good and take lots of Hi res pics of it in the bare bones.

I hope someone else with more experience can shed some more light for you. I am certainly interested.

Robert
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75717.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	508432  
Old 08-16-2006, 09:40 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It looks kind of like the PT 19 that was offered in an issue of Model Airplane News in about 1954. Here's mine done up in 3 channel livery. MAN offer the plan in the magazine (they used to have one each month) I can't for the life of me remember the designer's name.

Bill, AMA 4720
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23828.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	508453  
Old 08-17-2006, 06:34 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

It looks kind of like the PT 19 that was offered in an issue of Model Airplane News in about 1954. Here's mine done up in 3 channel livery. MAN offer the plan in the magazine (they used to have one each month) I can't for the life of me remember the designer's name.

Bill, AMA 4720

I believe that the designer was Dave Hemstraught?
Dennis
Old 08-17-2006, 09:22 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill. The vertical stab is too tall and skinny to be the PT-19.

Robert. The PT-20 used a Kinner radial engine. This has got to be a PT-16.

Les
Old 08-17-2006, 03:23 PM
Strat2003
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if it might just be a scale-like airplane inspired by the Ryan?

Ya gotta love that "U. S Air Core" logo on the side!
Old 08-18-2006, 11:50 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: dennis

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Bill, AMA 4720

I believe that the designer was Dave Hemstraught?
Dennis
Nope, It was Wendell something ... Not Hosteller. The guy's first name was Wendell though.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 08-18-2006, 12:32 PM
warbird51
My Feedback: (12)

As I remember it the PT-20 used the Menasco inline. The PT-20A used the Kinner radial.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:41 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I've seen Many of the PT-16 PT-20 and PT-22s were available in both inline and radial versions.

All You need to do is look through this search anmd you will see it is so. Unless there are lots of folks not properly I. D.ing their pics.

The link I posted in my first post of this thread clearly shows a PT-20 with an inline cowl.
Robert
Old 08-19-2006, 11:41 AM
warbird51
My Feedback: (12)

The PT-16 was a direct conversion of the Ryan ST. The PT-16 had a smaller cockpit, making very difficult for the pilot's to wear a chute. The PT-20 had a larger cockpit to facilitate the pilot's wearing chutes. Thy can be easily identified by the external stringer that was moved to the outside of the fuselage. Due to production delays and the fact that the Menacso needed more manitanence than the Kinner, a conversion was done to utilize the Kinner. The Kinner was lighter than the Menasco. To get the c/g right, the wing was swept in the PT-22 model.