Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Troublemaker

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 04:09 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Troublemaker

I've got a glass fuse. and foam cores for the wing+ stab. that I've had for a long time...since the mid70's but I forgot who made it...Does anyone know? Could it be "Skyglass"? Is anybody flying one, or got any set-up tips? I got back into flying again a couple-three years ago, w/a Super Kaos and a Tiger Tail, but would like something faster...I bought a Patriot, but something keeps me thinkin about the Troublemaker. Nostalgia? :-)
Old 01-17-2003, 01:55 PM
GHL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troublemaker Thoughts

Hi, I have a framed up J & J Troublemaker hanging in my basement, designed around a Enya X...just a nostalgic adventure for me, which should fly like a rocket. If you need CG information or control throw movements, I'll look it up and e-mail it to you. To my knowledge, there was never a "Troublemaker" available in fiberglass and foam. Skyglas in Tennessee made a number of kits like the Tiger Tail and Phoenix 6, but did so with the permission of the designer. However, there was another company in TN which offered what I called "knock off" designs of popular planes,(same design/different name) I know I bought some from them and they were well done and flew fine. A "Troublemaker" look alike was available as I recall, and this might be what you have. You brought back some nice memories for me. Regards, George Leu
Old 01-17-2003, 04:02 PM
proptop

Default Troublemaker

Hi George, I forgot about the J&J wood kit...My Tiger Tail is Southern R/C... I think, after looking around some more, that my Troublemaker might be from Airborne models. I also had a Banshee from them in '75 or '76(memory's goin' a little) A couple friends had Phoenix 5 +6's, and a Mach 1...Could you P M me those dimensions when you get a chance? I'd appreciate it! It's nice talking to somebody who likes the older pattern ships..I was a teen in the 70's, and didn't have the $$$ for them then, so now I'm getting some of the ones I couldn't then...Thanks, Tom.
Old 01-17-2003, 05:07 PM
GHL

Default Troublemaker

Hi Tom, Yes, I will be glad to find the plans and send you the information. I will need a few days, so look for them towards T or W next week. I was in my late teens and early 20's when most of these designs were the "hottest" ship you had to have. I think I used to build and fly between 7 and 10 planes a year. Now I am lucky to finish 3. Of course the jets and scale stuff requires a bit more time. I recently picked up an Atlanta and am finishing a Desire for myself. They were both designs of the 90's and are certainly dated by today's standards for pattern. They all fly well. Regards, George
Old 01-31-2003, 02:06 PM
GHL

Default Troublemaker

Proptop, Sorry for the delay getting back to you. The Troublemaker plans only show the CG at 5 1/4"-5 1/2" from the leading edge of the wing at the fuselage. There were no comments on aileron or elevator throw. I will have a full strip aileron on my Troublemaker, and probably use a maximum of 3/8" movement for first flight. I'll set the low rates for 1/4". I recall the ailerons were effective on the one my dad used to fly. Elevator will probably be set at 1/2" up and down, with low rates at 1/4". This should be a fun plane to fly again. Good luck with yours. George
Old 02-02-2003, 02:37 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Troublemaker

My 1974 Tower catalog shows a fiber-glass Troublemaker with foam wings made by Airborne Associates. They also had Tiger Tail, Nutcracker, Banshee , Hi-Lo & a Cosmic -Wind racer. No location given in catalog. .>>>>>>>big max 1935
Old 02-02-2003, 05:01 AM
proptop

Default Troublemaker

Hi George, thanks a lot for the info! Every little bit helps, ya know, and I'm adding yours to the "plans" I'm making up for reference...I appreciate the effort...big max, that's it! The name I was trying to remember, Airborne Associates, thanks man... I had a "Cutlass" back then too, remember that one? I had a Tiger Tail too, but it was a wood (Southern R/C) version. As I recall, the t.e. of the elev. on the Troublemaker were about 1/4" thick(anti-flutter) and squared off...My wings are already cut out for Goldberg retracts.(remember those?) Don't think I'm gonna use 'em tho...(maybe) Thanks again guys...Tom.
Old 02-05-2003, 05:11 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Default troublemaker

probably wrong as I remember the good ole days a guy by the name of tony bonetti introduced the trouble maker..and in addition to the southern tail I had their southern cat which was a low winger and our club back in them 70's made the jand ja eyeball a hummer with foam wings ..the bashee was a hot pattern ship..I am so old I remember the tarus also and it was rage of the day..
Old 02-05-2003, 05:41 AM
proptop

Default Troublemaker

Hey cloudancer, I met Tony Bonetti (sp?) back in '75 or '76 when he was flying his "Triple Trouble"...Cool guy, I flew a little pattern back then, but I was just in the novice class, w/ a fixed gear Banshee(Veco .61) I always liked the Eyeball too, I think they both had the same "all in line" set up(thrust line, wing + stab. all on the same C/L) didn't they? George + max (and all) how's it goin'? Guy in our club flew the heck out of a Taurus for years, then later went on to place 2nd in the Nats in expert class.
Old 02-05-2003, 02:40 PM
GHL

Default Troublemaker

Hi Proptop, Big Max and Cloud Dancer, I appreciated hearing the name Airborne Associates again. I think I had all the Skyglass kits before they disappeared, and then a bunch of the Airborne kits. I even had a deluxe kit of the Jim Kirkland Intruder made by an outfit in AZ(?) It might have been Hobby Barn. The wings had a glass outer suface coating over a substrate(about 1/4" thickness), and wrapped around the foam wing. Interestingly, I just found a fellow in Oregon, www.conachenaircraft.com who offers a glass and foam version of the Phoenix 7 and a Super Kaos .40. I am getting the urge to build another glass and foam design thanks to my association with our group. Thanks a lot, you guys are habit forming! George