Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Fox .35 RC....In need of a strap on muffler

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Fox .35 RC....In need of a strap on muffler

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 05:13 PM
jerrygiz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fox .35 RC....In need of a strap on muffler

I have a Fox .35 rc engine that runs excellent. I am in the process of putting together a Super Pacer and would really like to use this engine on the plane. Does anyone know where I can pick up a strap on muffler for this engine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:37 PM
Live Wire

Default RE: Fox .35 RC....In need of a strap on muffler

Hose clamps are cheap at auto parts houses. 2 holes and WALA clamp on muffler
Old 02-15-2007, 08:45 PM
Live Wire

Sorry Double post
Old 02-16-2007, 09:42 AM
GWILLIE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which Fox 35 RC? The RC Special with the offset plug, or a converted Stunt 35?
Old 02-16-2007, 11:44 AM
jerrygiz

Outlaw, yeah after posting and looking around for a strap on, I found an old K+B muffler laying around. It matched well, I notched out the sides & bolted on a heavy duty clamp. Perfect fit. Thanks

Willie,
I am not sure what this is. The plug is angled into the head. I pulled the head off, the piston has a divider on the left side and the head is cut to match. I did call Fox on this engine but got no real answers. I am assuming it's a few years outdated. If you have any info on this engine, please let me know. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:47 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not a 35 it's a 36. Made also as a 29. The 29 is identified by having the displacement stamped on the mounting lugs. made from the late 60's ? to about 1980 they run allright but do vibrate a little bit. As with all Fox RC motors of that time carbs are interesting and can be frustrating to set up. Go to this web site http://www.flitelinesolutions.com/manuals.html and look under 29-36 motors and you can get the instruction sheet that came with the motor. should tell you everything you need to know.
Dennis
Old 02-17-2007, 08:44 AM
GWILLIE

Jerry, Dennis is right, it is probably a 36; a 29 would be stamped 29 on top of the left lug. He is also right on about the Flitelinesolutions page.

Fox made several versions of the 36 RC. Since you don't know the displacement, it probably isn't "A" in the picture since it has a "36X" cast on the bypass. It is probably "B" or "C". Look at the carburators; which do you have?

I can Email you a set of instructions.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95025.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	623406  
Old 02-17-2007, 01:53 PM
jerrygiz

Dennis & Willie,

Thanks for the reply. That helps alot, very useful info. My engine has no displacement castings on it except for the FOX name on the right side of the jug...definitely not the 36X. I looked at the carbs on the fliteline page, my carb is the early 2 jet listed under .29-.36. The bore is appoximately .800 thats why I assumed it was in the .35 range.

After reading it over, I am thinking this engine may be quite a bit much for the little super pacer that I mounted it on. I appreciate the help as I just got into the hobby about six months ago by purchasing a guys complete rc collection. I have been having alot of fun over these past few months going through everything, rebuilding some of the old crashed planes, getting all the engines in running condition and of course crashing and rebuilding my wrecks. Me and a few buddies that I got interested have been learning as we go. Thanks to Real Flight G3.5 I am pretty good with the trainers and working my way into sport planes.

Jerry
Old 02-17-2007, 02:02 PM
jerrygiz

Willie,

I somehow didn't see your pictures at first. My engine is a "C". If you have a set of instructions that would be great.

Thanks
Old 02-17-2007, 04:34 PM
GWILLIE

Jerry,
See attached.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46284.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	623596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40588.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	623597  
Old 02-18-2007, 02:32 PM
jerrygiz

Willie,

Thanks. I appreciate the info.

Jerry
Old 02-18-2007, 04:02 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a couple of those 36 RC engines in my collection. Thing I remember the most about the only time I tried to run one, was that while it did a fantastically better job of flyiing the Sabik 50 than the OS Max 30 or 35 I had on it, a 4 ounce tank was good for about a quick engine start, take off, fly a couple laps with maybe a loop and a roll, then make a dead-stick landng. I might replace the carbs with venturis and use them on my Goldberg VooDoos. Great power, but with the attendant fuel consumption.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:59 PM
jerrygiz

Yeah, I've heard they are not easy on fuel. In the manual I read they claim 1 oz per minute. I threw in an 8 oz tank but I am definitely way over powered from all that I've heard about this engine. I'll give it a fight or 2 and see how see performs. Thanks
Old 02-20-2007, 11:23 AM
Thumprding

Glad you found a muffler. I just installed a Dubro Strap on muffler on a Fox 25R/C. I am curious about the 36 engine as it compares to a 35 C/L stunt engine. The 35 was not a reving engine. To properly set a 35 CL engine you set the mixture at a high 4 stroke setting. During normal level flight the engine lumbered along happily, but as soon as you raised the nose of the plane the mixture would lean out and it would two cycle and provide the extra power for vertical manuvers. Is the R/C version set the same way?
Old 02-21-2007, 10:33 AM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No, a whole different timing set-up. think the 36 rc was more an outgrowth of the Fox 36 combat engine, which was more designed around high speed power.