Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
 Hal deBolt's Live Wire PATTERNMASTER >

Hal deBolt's Live Wire PATTERNMASTER

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Hal deBolt's Live Wire PATTERNMASTER

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 05:56 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hal deBolt's Live Wire PATTERNMASTER

Hi Everyone;

Greetings from the 'Valley of the Sun'.

During the past few days we habve been having an interesting discussion of Hal's LW VISCOUNT kit design; and yesterday received an email from an old Pylon Racing Friend, Chuck Boyer from the mid 70's, UPRC racing curcuit back in the Buffalo, NY area, concerning Hal's later kit design for Midwest Models, the Live Wire PATTERNMASTER. Chuck, and another UPRC vetran and close Friend of Hal's, Bob Brown, feel that the Patternmaster design originated back in the mid 60's from a design called the SERGEANT, and that Hal used it later as a basis for the Midwest kitted Patternmaster. I simply do not know. I in turn discussed the SERGEANT thingie with close Friend Todd Ewing, and on checking the Patternmaster kit box photos, note that on the wing is a Sergeant's stripes insignia.....? Does that insignia mean anything special, or was it just decoration?

So, I/we divert to the attention of the many 'old gurus' out in the vast id of da'net to shed any light on the SERGEANT-PATTERNMASTER design question. Personally, I have always thought the Patternmaster was a simpler to build version of the older early 60's VISCOUNT kit design.

Bill K., I want you to jump into this one also; what sayest thou?

Hoping this posting yields another good discussion, best regards from Phoenix,

Joe Nagy. email: [email protected]
Old 03-08-2007, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hal deBolt's Live Wire PATTERNMASTER

Hi Li'l Joey! This is remarkable! Spring's approaching, the Thongage in Florida is likely starting to get out of control... and you're here in the Valley O' the Sun with your long lost son discussin' old kits and being the Mentor of Mentors... Life is grand! Let's go fly your Encore... you ol' Letch!!!... before it gets to Damn hot!!!

The ironic slant to this question is that last week I FINALLY procured the Livewire Patternmaster... got beat brutally on several auctions in the past few years and was able to get a very very nice kit this time. So, I call up braggin' to Joe that I'm gainin' on his mere 575ish kits in his collection and posed the question of the Sergeant stripes on the box photo of the Patternmaster. 'twas a very rare "I don't know Todd"... I said to myself, "He's obviously suffering from Florida Thong withdrawl... "I don't know"??? He doesn't say that very often...

Any info on the Air Force Sergeant insignia on the wing would be appreciated... I WILL be substituting ARMY Segeant Stripes on my wing, however... No offense 1st Lieutenant KHodges... it's an ARMY Dog thing.... Man, what a sweet kit... magnitudes better condition wise than my Livewire Pursuit that I got a while back.

Thanks and best regards,

Todd
Old 03-18-2007, 05:35 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe - just to let you know I've been watchin but the action seems kind of thin. Happy for the fellow who finally found a good Pattern Master kit. Don't know if you intend to build it or not but I built mine and it is one fine and fast flying machine. Honest as can be and overpowered (if there is such a thing) with an OS 40 FSR swingin a Master Airscrew 10x6. The all up ready to fly weight is about 4.5 poundss!!! Flew it at the VR/CS get together in Spring Hill, FL - had a fabulous day!! chuck
Old 03-23-2007, 09:27 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Chuck;

Greetings from warm and surprizingly dry Florida, Just flew over yesterday.

Oh You lucky One: Attending the deBolt Memorial Meet in Spring Hill FL, I could not attend this year.

I am not surprised at how light your Patternmaster came out, as with this kit, Hal introduced a unique wing building method: his saddle-back wing jig method, wherein you build the wing upside down, in one piece....the only way to build wings. I just hate building a LS panel and then a RS panel separately & then trying to glue them together with the all important ply dihedral joiner for strength.....ooh! the pain, what a mess. His saddle-jig method yields an extermely lite and strong wing, and builds very fast also. And best of all, with a lighter ship, you can use a smaller engine.

One surprising note; after the MW Patternmaster kit came out, I naturally purchased one, like I usually did with most of Hal's kits, but had another said kit given to me by a fellow club member, an old timer, who had build dozens of RC models. He said he could not understand how to use or build Hal's new method of wing-building, and did not like it all. I just looked at him real surprised like, and gratefully accepted the free kit. The Saddle-jig wing building method was explained by Hal in MAN magazine article....oh God, I can't remember, but probably a good 15>20 yrs back, I haven't got my mag archives with me, maybe someone else can help with the article publication date.

I will close for now, and am sorry that there wasn't more discussion re the SERGEANT relationship, but that is way things go, best regards to everyone from Florida's beautiful golden sandy, but ever dangerously Thong and Bikini infested Gulf Coast beaches; [My Doc says I'm probably going to die of terminal eye-strain,...ah! but what a way to go......]. Let's all have a great and real safe weekend,

Joe Nagy. email: [email protected]
Old 03-23-2007, 10:57 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't forgotten you. Just cannot go forward on the Sergeant thing. I got a list from a fellow back when on DeBolt kits, designs, plans, thoughts, etc. Want to check there as to any significance to the earlier A/C, but cannot seem to find that list on any of my hard drives. Know already the one at A.M.A. has errors in it.

Wm.