Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Dos Little Stiks

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 09:49 PM
Falco5

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dos Little Stiks

Thanks SpinnerRow,
I have since put larger wheels on her and altered the wing incidence and it flies as though on rails. Landings are a breeze as you can slow it down to a walking pace before you get a stall which is good for our short strip.
With a 50" wing span and a 55AX on the nose, you will have a rocket ship and I would recommend a Figlass bandage for the wing center section as a safety precaution.
You should be able to get a carbon fibre landing gear from United Hobbies (Hobby City)...Good Luck with your build and future flying..STIKS are great models for fun flying.

Cheers, Bill
Old 11-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Hey rengineer, I flew F-4s out of Korat in 1969-1970. If I could find someone the launch, I flew a Fox Combat Special powered VooDoo.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79338.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	1066931  
Old 11-07-2008, 11:31 AM
rrengineer
My Feedback: (3)

Ed,
I was stationed in Korat from 1973 to 1975. I was then in POL. I got out of the Active in 1975 and went back in the Reserves in 1978 here in California for another 18 years as a flight engineer on 141s. I flew a Little Stik with a Fox .29 at Korat. I ended up with anhedral on that plane because the benches we built on in the model building hut sagged along their length. I did not notice it until the wing was finished. Turns out the plane flew great. That Fox .29 was a nice little engine and was perfect for that plane. I also had my room mate back in the States send out my Mattel single channel radio because the base hobby shop had a few Jr Falcon kits. It turned out to be the best Jr Falcon I ever built. You remember how you could see the rain coming from miles away when you looked out across the runway? One day during the monsoon season I was flying the Falcon and the engine quit after about three minutes as the Cox .049s would do, but the falcon stayed in the air for another 19 minutes because of high winds preceding the rain. I just kept turning into the wind and the Falcon would climb. I finally had to bring it down as the rain arrived. That Falcon would stick to the runway during takeoff until you wagged the tail. It would then break free and shoot up at a 45 degree angle for 100 feet or so and settle into a shallow climb. What fun! You left Korat before I got there, but I was there to see all the aircraft in Thailand pass through Korat on the way out at the end of the war. You sure take me back with that picture. I remember thinking the F-4s were going to leave skid marks on the roof of my hootch on landing.
Mike MacLean
San Bernardino, CA
Old 11-14-2008, 01:05 PM
Cherokee Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Korat in 65 with 105's and PSP.

L.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:50 AM
rrengineer
My Feedback: (3)

Boy, those 105s were noisy. They were there (Wild Weasel) when I got to Korat in 73. An engine with a saddle and a canopy!
Mike
Old 11-15-2008, 09:16 PM
Cherokee Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tough old bird.
L.