Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Recent VK Cherokee Babe build

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Recent VK Cherokee Babe build

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 02:47 PM
flightprep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Recent VK Cherokee Babe build

Thanks Squeakalong, seemed logical that adding in some good castor to a quality base fuel would be OK, so glad to hear it works for you. I'm hoping to get premixed fuel, but if that fails we will go this route.

I've looked on a few websites and RC threads RE castor oil and product/process itself, from what I've read (and what's between the lines) I think USP grade will be fine, it's first press and processing would appear to fit the degummed product.

Appreciate the comments RE the Cherokee, FYI the Ultimate Bipe we are starting to build is to be covered in metallic green and pearl white monokote - and probably with a bit of gold or black trim. I bet your cherokee looked pretty sharp!

brgds
flightprep
Old 02-19-2008, 03:07 PM
squeakalong
My Feedback: (8)

Awhile back, when I was using the Magnum .45 alot I still added a bit of AAA Castor to the Byron Castor/Synthetic I was using. When I took the engine apart after about 5 gallons I was amazed at how good the engine looked inside and how well it ran. Probably should go back to adding it again That Ultimate Bipe sounds like a good looker....I also use the Monokote Black/White checkered sheets, cut to appropriate size, and fit to the bottom of the wings and stab on my planes/trimmed in Black Monokote striping. Looks real nice in the air.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:08 PM
safeTwire
My Feedback: (2)

I've had to order online the castor based fule for years now. LHS never stocked it. Run ALL my engines on 10%nitro/20%castor. Helis drink Morgan Cool Power 30%.

Send your friend into the Swap Shop to say hi. I will be at the engine/radio section. Cant miss me...I have a beard, almost bald, and my name tag reads: Tony

How is slim pickins getting along?
Old 02-19-2008, 10:36 PM
flightprep

Hi SafeTwire,

Have sent my friend (his name is Gene) a note RE having a look for you in the radio section at the show.

Haven't heard from Slim either by pm or a post in about a month, he appparently has been travelling.
If he doesnt' post in a few days I'll send him a pm, he needs to check progress in the thread he started!

Brgds
flightprep

Old 02-27-2008, 09:28 PM
slim_pkns

Howdy all!!! Glad to see the thread is moving on in my absence. flightprep the rebuild looks fantastic! Thanks for the PM too.

Unfortunately I don't have any progress to report. I've been traveling on business and broke up with my last girlfriend over the past month or so. I had moved a bunch of building stuff to her place at her request and haven't setup again back at mine. I'm really inspired by all the pics flightprep left for me. Hopefully I'll have more to report soon.

flightprep, that old OS .35 MAX, how will you be mounting it? Right-side up or side mount? I'm wondering about the cowling. I intend on using an OS .40 LA I have laying around from my first trainer (as we discussed previously) and I'd like to leave as much of the cowl intact as possible. Will you stick with the original muffler as well?
Old 02-27-2008, 11:12 PM
flightprep

Hey Slim, welcome back!

Sounds like you may have a bit of time to build going forward.... anyway, there's still a bit of work to do on the cherokee, but we're moving ahead now with an Ultimate Bipe .40 - already about 1/4 of the way there, it's a fast build. Field is a mess anyway, so we won't be flying anything with wheels for a while.

So - I will get a few closeups of the OS .35, it is mounted (temp) in the pics above, but it is hard to see. It is a sideways mount (that's how it was set up, we will keep it). I'll describe it below, then when I post some pics (weekend?) I'm sure it will be easier.

Coming off the firewall there is a 1/4" spacer, to which a Tatone 29 cast aluminum mount is attached (the mount is received in the firewall, 3 bolts, blind nuts). The mount itself is tapped for 4 mm mounting bolts, the spacing is for the .35 but would in fact fit a .40 LA. Based on the plans, this all looks pretty conventional for the time it was first built.

With a sideways mount, the muffler exhausts to the bottom. This engine came with a Tatone Peace Pipe, it's a 2-piece unbaffled muffler that bolts on. By reputation I don't think it's much of a muffler - we'll hear it soon enough, because we plan to use the original setup - sort of a period piece. We had to rebuild the cowl, a friend made one via the lost foam method. It has carved out nicely with an X-acto knife and dremel tool, easier to work than many original plastic parts. The original cowl had been cracked and had a few missing pieces. I'll get a pic of both cowls as well. One thing about the new cowl, the "diameter" at the mounting area it was made a bit larger than the original, so we built up the edges of the fuse with some lite ply - which we did to strengthen the fuse. We will probably mount the cowl with 6 screws, that's because the back of the cowl is ported in two places, once for the muffler and once for the nose gear, so better to have a strong mount.

Your last question got me thinking - always a dangerous proposition - so I went and looked at the .35 and an LA 40. Engine block is similar, but there is an important difference, and that is the muffler geometry. On the LA, the distance from the block to the expansion chamber is fairly short, and the muffler runs at about a 90 degree angle to the block - so you may be inside the cowl/hitting the fuse. The .35 / PeacePipe assembley has a longer muffler stand-off, and the muffler is angled away from the block. Even so, I had to carve a bit of my "extra" fuse reinforcing lite-ply to get the muffler in place.

So, be sure to check it soon. if it's a problem, you have a few options; I know there are extensions / inserts so that mufflers can be pushed out from the block, they probably have them for a .40 LA; or, you could go to a Pitts style muffler. I will send some pics of both engines, that way you can see the issue for yourself.

Thats it for now, glad you're back in the thread, let us hear about your progress!

brgds
Flightprep

Old 02-27-2008, 11:22 PM
flightprep

Update to recent post - muffler extension (about $10)

I think the OS .40 LA uses muffler E3030, I don't know why the .40 LA isn't listed - this is off the Tower website:

NOTES FROM OUR TECH DEPARTMENT

This is the 11/16" Muffler Extension for the #E3030, #843, & #762S mufflers

This Muffler Extension is a 11/16" spacer that installs between the muffler
and the exhaust port on the side of the cylinder head. This results in the
muffler being farther out from the cowl of the plane. One might elect to use
one of the muffler extensions to keep the fuel residue farther out from a
prized paint job or if the aircraft has a large cowl and the muffler isn't far
enough away from the outside of the cowl.

This fits the: .35FP, .40FP, .35FP-S, .40FP-S, GMS .32

FEATURES: Natural aluminum construction

INCLUDES: One Muffler Extension
Two 3x48mm screws w/.5 pitch threads OSMG6948 but can use OSMG6950

SPECS: Length: 17.5mm
Width: 42mm
Height: 10mm
Distance between mounting hole centers: 35.5mm
JAL 5/14/97 UP
ir/jl
JCT 2/13/04
updt tjt 050505
updt jbm 10/18/05

Click here for Units of Measure Conversion Calculators

Old 03-01-2008, 01:19 PM
flightprep

HI SLim,.

As mentioned above, here are some pics of the Cherokee engine / muffler situation - 3 shots per post.

Firewall with Engine mount, head on view. Note the "cutout" in the bottom (left as you look at it) firewall, this is for the muffler.

Same head on view with OS .35 installed

Side view (right side of plane) showing muffler - it is snug.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64612.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	892399   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88277.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	892400   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66374.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	892401  
Old 03-01-2008, 01:37 PM
flightprep

more shots -

next is a comparison shot, the cherokee with the .35 is on it side on the left, and on the right is a .40 LA. The distance from where the muffler is attached to the block to where the muffler would be up against the firewall on the Cherokee is about 50% greater with the .35 andTatone muffler vs the .40 LA with the stock muffler installed.

Next shot is an overhead, of the stock .40 LA and the .35 (with the Tatone muffler) rubber banded in front of the .40 LA - here you can really see the difference in geometry. It also confirms the E3030 muffler on the .40 LA. You can also see a spacer on the .35/Tatone setup, that extension spacer is 6 mm.

Last shot here is a front on view of the cowls, original is white/yellow, new one is in gray primer.

Name:	Mk26948.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	892414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13413.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	892415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nt46327.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	892416  
Old 03-01-2008, 01:44 PM
flightprep

final shots of the cowl - and yes, the holes on the new cowl are probably larger than necessary.

1 Left side view

2 View from the firewall toward the front (front wheel slot not yet cut on the new cowl)

3 top view

Let me know if you have any questions!

Brgds
Flightprep

Name:	Bz79138.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	892417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85449.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	892418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17623.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	892419  
Old 03-22-2008, 12:00 PM
flightprep

The Cherokee Babe rebuild is now pretty much done, as and when the field dries up we will let you know how the first flights go. We may end up painting the lower half of the cowl black, but this is it for now.

Let us know how your new build comes along Slim, after all you got this thread started.

Brgds
FlightPrep

Name:	Ec89764.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	910406  
Old 03-22-2008, 06:33 PM
safeTwire

Very well done FP!

Please! Please! Please!...

Calm day (or not crazy windy)
Good batteries & Fresh charge
Range check
Control surface movement check
New plug & fresh fuel
Start, pleanty warm up time, hold nose up to check mixture for over lean, taxi around, shut down, re-group, re-fuel...then...
ENJOY!

Old 03-24-2008, 10:33 AM
flightprep

Thanks for the reminders SafeT Wire - we'll be treating first flight as a maiden flight for sure, and we'll use radio equipment from our regular rotation inventory. Have to add balancing for CG to the "to do list", as we haven't installed the radio yet!

Other than the Rx install, everything except the field is in good order - we actually flew a sailplane yesterday, we have an exchange student over from the UK so we took him to the field for some introductory stick time. Winds were reasonable at ground level, but over a hundred feet (above the tree lines) it was blowing pretty hard. Anyway we had a couple of good flights, can't wait for the field to dry out.
Brgds
FlightPrep
Old 04-17-2008, 10:05 PM
slim_pkns

Howdy all! It's been a long time but I haven't forgotten or given up on this thread. Not that it's really RC related, I mentioned I had a break up and since then I've been thinking long and hard about building, flying, and my living space. I decided this is an awesome time to buy a house where I live. I'm sorry for taking so long to get it all together but I've finally bought my first house. I will be closing in about two weeks and moving in soon after that.

What the hell does it mean to you? Nothing... but I'm DAMN EXCITED! I hope to have an entire room and half a garage dedicated to models and building!

YAAAAHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

In the mean time, I bought (didn't build it myself) a SpaceWalker I. I love it and it's a great flyer!

More soon,

Slim Pickens

Name:	Jh14741.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	931705  
Old 04-18-2008, 04:00 PM
safeTwire

Congrat's on the house!

The hobby will always be there for you, when you need it!

The Spacewalker flies like a dream!
Old 05-04-2008, 07:46 PM
flightprep

Hey there Slim,

Glad to hear you're back in the thread - been out a bit myself lately. Too much wienershcnitzel and haggis.

We're expecting to maiden the Cherokee in May (high school graduation activities of the key pilot are dictating the schedule!). Fortunately my son aka key pilot has maidened lots of planes, and we both feel pretty good about this one.

Happy to hear you have LOTS of space in the new digs. We have just a few "extra" fuselages hanging vertical in our basement from first floor stringers extra wings are stored vertical on the floor in boxes. I guess it's a stalacta-fuse-lite basement ceiling and stalacta-wing-amite floor. Maybe there's a lesson here: Multiply radios by planes, if you have more than 4x planes than radios, time to give some planes away...

RE your Spacewalker - no direct experience, it's a fairly big bird but I'll bet a dollar to a donut it flies like the Dragon Lady look-alike we fly. Easy flier and still very aerobatic. We run a .61 OS FX, it's not particularly fast but can really rock in the air. Best lomcevaks you ever saw. Loops, rolls are kid stuff, inverted - "hey, you're flying upside down again.... Takes off and lands like a trainer.

Only advidce on the spacewalkeer is be sure to give it enough power, if it's like the DL, you'll love it - what's your power - and give us a report!

Now, if you want to send me your cherokee ibabe n a box, that could be my next winter project.

Brgds
Flightprep
Old 05-06-2008, 09:21 PM
mred33

Boy does this plane bring back some memories. I had one back in the 70's with an HP 40 and it flew great for what it was. Had a ball with it with that HP 40 in there and beat the socks off a lot of other guys at a fun fly one time with it. Made them so mad they went out of their way to find something to disqualify me. All this over a stinking gallon of fuel. Oh well, the Babe flew well and I had a ball, even if there were a bunch of spoil sports there. Loved that Babe, but never thought about all the good planes going away and nothing but ARF's taking over. When we built those kind of planes, we just built them the way we learned to build any plane and there was no order to the construction. You built what you wanted when you wanted. There were no instructions and if you didn't know how, you ask someone and there were always someone around that could help. I always started with the fuse because I liked that part better then the wings. Still do and I still build the wing last. Always did and always will. I use Titebond II ever since it came out and love it. I use CA like a pin only to hold something while the real glue dries. Don't like CA hinges either and will never use them again. I use Robart hinge points and that's it for the hinges. In case you haven't noticed, I have my own way of doing things. If you need any help, this is the place to come for it. There are people on this site that have a bunch of years of building and are glad to help. Good luck with the Babe and hope yours flies as good as mine did.
Ed
Old 05-08-2008, 08:13 PM
flightprep

Hi mred33,

If you like the old kits and aren't afraid to dive in, why not give Laser Works a look? (www.lazer-works.com ) They sell short kits, have a wide selection with good prices, I've seen lots good reviews (I followed a thread on the old Midwest Little Stik ("dos little stiks") and was going to build another one last winter, but got side tracked with the Babe, a Bipe build, and a few other projects.

Brgds
Flightprep
Old 05-08-2008, 11:17 PM
mred33

I have a few going myself. I am building a King Altair right now and a Contender, along with a couple of others. I love building and just hated to see some of my favorite planes go away. I found them a while back and am going to get a couple of their short kits when I get the time. Just to many going right now.
Ed
Old 05-09-2008, 03:47 PM
flightprep

Sounds good, the Contender has been on our list for a while as well - but no storage space and too many low wing monoplanes anyway!

If the weather improves we might try the Cherokee on Sunday.

Brgds
Flightprep
Old 05-09-2008, 05:30 PM
mred33

This is my second Contender. Top Flight changed it a bit from the original, but it's not bad. Just takes a little more time to build now. I love the way it flies and the VK Babe too. I had the Babe and a friend of mine had the 60 size. The rudder was weak and needed to have some tri stock put along the bottom of the fin to keep it on, but other then that, it was a nice flying plane. His rudder broke loose one day and boy was that fun to watch him trying to land that thing with no rudder. Ever see a plane fly sideways??? It was funny though. Hope yours flies great too, I know mine did.
Ed
Old 06-10-2008, 07:35 PM
slim_pkns

Howdy all! Just wanted to add an update and remind everyone that this thread isn't dead!

I'm all moved in and payed my first months house payment. First time I've ever been excited about paying a bill! It's about time to setup the building room. I didn't set out to by a four bedroom house but it was such a great deal, I couldn't pass it up. I'm looking at inexpensive tables at Ikea this week and hope to have something in the building room around the 15th of June.

Update on the SpaceWalker I: I ended up having to do some work to get it flight worthy. The previous owner didn't have a single elevator servo with the two separate elevator halves tied or soldered together. There were two old Futaba servos with a POTS (right acronym?) attached to flip one around so the older radios could link the two channels together. The didn't sync up at all anymore. I switched out the servos for new ones and found that there was some serious binding. I ended up drilling new mounting holes and moving the servos to get some clearance. It's all pretty much worked out now but I need to do something with the fuel tank. It has a three line setup for the tank and there isn't a good way to de-fuel the plane since the fuel fill line that comes out the cowl doesn't have a tube and clunk inside the tank. It flies pretty well though and looks fantastic in the air! I love the vintage look and low profile on the runway. I'm running a Saito .91 with a fuel pump that makes a cool sound when it idles. It's sweet.

I've added a couple of pics of my building space even though you can't really get a good feel for the size. I can't wait to get into the VK Cherokee Babe!

More soon!

slim_pkns

Name:	Lj23688.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	968281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96775.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	968282  
Old 08-06-2008, 09:24 PM
flightprep

Hi Everyone,

Well, after lots of aborted potential flying session due to test pilot's summer work schedule, bad weather etc etc, we finally got the Cherokee Babe up for a few flights this evening (so much for a Maiden Flight in May....). Found castor oil at the local pharmacy, and juiced up some Wildcat fuel with extra oil. The OS .35 has enough power, she trimmed out very nicely, but we will need to work a bit on engine adjustments. The all up weight isn't bad, but the glide angle on dead stick is a bit steep compared to our other planes - then again that is arguably an advantage at our field.

Plane looks pretty good in the air, a nice 'old school' example we will be able to show and fly at our upcoming 4H fair.

Will try to get some pics over the next week.

Brgds
FlightPrep

Old 08-06-2008, 10:34 PM
mred33

Unless your heavy, you may be able to play around with the CG to get a better glide. It sounds like it may be a little on the nose heavy side. Mine came in pretty flay, but not a floater either. Check your CG and if you are on where the plans say, it's probably a little on the nose heavy side. I moves mine back a little and it flew better and had a better glide too. It's a great flying plane and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoyed mine. I wish I still had it, but I lost it during one of my moves in the service. Stupid transportation people can crush anything. At the time I was flying I never gave a thought to all the GOOD planes and kits going away and now I can't find some of the ones I really want. Oh well, that's life. Good luck with your Babe.
Ed
Old 08-07-2008, 04:10 PM
flightprep

Thanks for the ideas; we've got the CG right at the spot on the plans, but because it is a re-build with some damage repairs it is for sure a bit heavier than ideal. Flight performance was very good, it just dropped a bit faster than we expected when the engine quit. We also used the old hardware so it's more-or-less original, we could save same weight on components but the trade off is that it's no longer a 'period piece'.

We'll get quite a few chances to fly next week, with some fine tuning time in between, and will let you know the end result.

Too bad there is no short kit available, based on what we found yesterday it would be a great 3rd plane project for some of our club members - they could just swap over their .40 size trainer engine into the Cherokee. I really like that it's so easy to hook up servos etc, there is so much space to work inside the fuse- that makes it easy for the kids too.

Brgds
Flightprep

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.