Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Jetex experience and supplies?

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Jetex experience and supplies?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 07:48 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jetex experience and supplies?

I found a couple of Jetex 50 motors in a box of stuff I got from a friend, but I need some fuel pellets...and the fuse, etc. to try them out.
Anyone with a link to someplace to get some fuel pellets?

Any tips on how to operate them?

Thanks
Old 12-16-2007, 08:09 AM
ukengineman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Jetex experience and supplies?

There is a lot of interesting Jetex material on this website:-
http://www.jetex.org/
Old 12-16-2007, 09:42 AM
Dsegal

Ah, Jetex. I could never get the motor to ignite properly back in the 1950s until one day it blasted off and the last I saw of my little balsa delta wing was it disappearing over the city rooftops. From my reading in recent years I saw comments that the new formulation was not reliable, either. Nowadays modelers are using the disposable Rapier motors.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:14 AM
Trisquire

I've got a few pellets and a rusty old engine left over.

Tom
Old 12-16-2007, 12:59 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had some fun with the Jet-tex stuff as a kid. I put them on gliders, but the power
surge was never consistant for a decent flight. They were fun to play with though,
with the little wicks and the propellant pellets.

FBD.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:28 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Austrailian firm is best for modern items. But, Peck's Polymers was also stocking pellets for the smaller units. I think they told me that thy came via the U.K. which may also have an Ozzy tie somehow.

Wm.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:36 PM
proptop

Mine were more than a wee bit rusty too...but not too bad, but surface rust all over.
Found a few fuel pellets and a piece of wick, but couldn't get the doggone thing to light either...

I see some fuel on epay but it looks old...I kinda think that this stuff will go stale over time, wouldn't ya think? Got a feeling maybe that's why it didn't want to light off?

Visited the Jetex site a while back, but they aparenty had a computer problem? The forums were pffffftt (bad pun intended) and I see that mentioned.

Edit: Peck Polymers...haveta check them out...thanks[8D]
Old 12-21-2007, 12:56 AM
Ralph78

I see some fuel on epay but it looks old...I kinda think that this stuff will go stale over time, wouldn't ya think? Got a feeling maybe that's why it didn't want to light off?.

[/quote]

I don't know about going stale. A few years ago I was cleaning out my cabinet of old control line "Stuff" to Ebay some of those things I was sure I would never use again, and I found 4 packages of Jetex 150 fuel, 1 new PAA Loader motor, 3 packages of Jetex Scorp. fuel (the big stuff) and two motors, one of which was new, I also found about 10-12 packages of Jetex 50 fuel with 1 new motor and 3 used motors. The fuel and motors were purchased in the 1960's or early 70's. I put it all on Ebay and it sold at outrages prices. By luck I had offered the Jetex things a few months before the NATS, and I believe it was the first NATS were Jetex was making a bit of a comeback. I received a follow up Email form one of the buyers and he thanked me for putting the old fuel on Ebay, as it was quite a bit better than the "New" fuel available, and he "Placed" in the competition due to my old fuel. The fuel was 30-35 years old, some of it was in the cardboard boxes, so it was not "sealed".

Ralph
Old 12-21-2007, 08:16 AM
proptop

Thanks Ralph [8D]
Next time I see some fuel on there, maybe I'll bid on it...iffn it don't go to the moon...
Old 12-21-2007, 02:12 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The old fuel was a lot better then new stuff. Unfortunately as I understand it that fuel can't be made anymore because the origional fuel used some heavy metal in it's composition. The newer stuff went through a few different formulas but didn't quite reach the potetial of the old stuff.
dennis
Old 12-21-2007, 05:35 PM
proptop

Ahhh...o.k.....(that figures )

The last 2 packs of old fuel pellets went for 20-30 bucks ea.
There was a package of (I think it was ) Japanese pellets?
Old 02-03-2008, 11:45 PM
E-Challenged

Inconsistency was probably caused by differences in diet and feeding habits of the bats that produced the "guano". I wonder if anyone has tried collecting guano from caves and making a lot of money producing NOS Jetex fuel. I once powered a Speedbilt F-86 with a Jetex 50 and let it phhhht around on a string, duration was about one minute as I recall.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:00 AM
old git

ORIGINAL: proptop

I found a couple of Jetex 50 motors in a box of stuff I got from a friend, but I need some fuel pellets...and the fuse, etc. to try them out.
Anyone with a link to someplace to get some fuel pellets?

Any tips on how to operate them?

Thanks

I last used Jetex in the 1949-50 era just before I left home to join my ship. I had a lot of fun with them, last model aircraft had a Jetmaster on the top of a power pylon, two 50s alongside and another 50 on the belly. I could only afford that one flight with all the motors running.

Lately, feeling rather under the weather, I sat at the confuser searching flea bay for Jetex items. I found some of the larger motors that came after I stopped using Jetex. The problem of fuel remains, I found it too expensive then and am unwilling to pay the prices it reaches now. I confidently expect flea bay prices to fall again (only to rise further later). Take a look at the Cox engines to see the fall and rise of prices.

I bought some newly created fuel together with a recipe to make more. I haven't tried it out, it looks like crushed coke (Coal sourced not veg') When it comes to starting, I didn't have any that didn't fire when I learned to look carefully for breaks in the fuse. It can be joined by twisting together. Clean the mesh and make sure there is good contact with the charge.

Enjoy yourself, I am fully into my second childhood, the only problem I see is the need to retrieve the model after a flight. The children have left home so can I train the wife to retrieve?

old git - - - - aka John L.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:39 PM
balsaworks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The old (original) Jetex motors need original fuel pellets.

The current version is called Jet-X, and although these motors look similar, the Jet-X fuel pellets are not compatible with the original Jetex motors, and you can´t use old pellets in the in the new motors either.

SAMS Models in England list both Jet-X and the currently very popular & practical Rapier single-use Rocket motors.
http://www.samsmodels.com/acatalog/S..._Electric.html

If you find old original Jetex fuel pellets, grab them. They don´t go stale.
If they have been stored in damp conditions they absorb water and that means poor performance & low power.
They can however be dried out and rejuvenated by carefully baking in an oven on very low heat, and then kept in a dry, air-tight can until use. (you´re on your own here, be careful...)