Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Radios and spark ignition engines

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Radios and spark ignition engines

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 10:02 AM
Leadchucker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radios and spark ignition engines

I currently have a new radio controlled version of the Lanzo Record Breaker on the bench to replace my old FF version and want to use the Super Cyclone .60 ignition engine on it. I think there are coil packs and other radio safe items somewhere out there so as to make the two compatable,but keep coming up empty on any searches. Anyone running an antique engine with radios or know where some info on how to do this? Would a 2.4 ghz radio be the way to fly here?
Old 09-15-2008, 05:41 PM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: Radios and spark ignition engines

The SAM website should give you all the info you need [link]http://www.antiquemodeler.org[/link] Go to the link at the top of the page titled "SAM airplanes and how to". From there click on the engine pages, and then you'll see a series of excellent articles by Bob Angel that should answer any question you have.

On a model the size of that Lanzo you shouldn't need 2.4, recent articles in the SAM newsletter indicate 2.4 solves interference problems relative to ignition and radio components being in close proximity in smaller class A & B models but you should have plenty of room in a Lanzo.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:48 PM
otrcman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have flown 72mhz radios and recently begun using a 2.4 with my SAM ignition models. The 2.4 seems much better than the 72's were as far as ignition interference, but you will still need to be a little careful about putting the radio components and ignition system in close proximity.

Dick Fischer
Old 09-20-2008, 10:06 AM
Leadchucker

DOH!! As many times as I have been to the SAM site, I never clicked on the engine section. While the article was of some help, I did find a vendor that sells solid state ignition modules and high tension leads with built in resistors for radio use. Thanks guys!!