Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

MODEL MERCHANT INC

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 04:15 PM
hkusp45
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MODEL MERCHANT INC

Anyone know much about the so called F-15 model made by Model Merchant Inc. and is it worth building and flying. Apparently the person selling it has the whole kit. Here's a pic of one of the pages.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57935.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	1043857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16328.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1043858  
Old 10-01-2008, 10:46 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: MODEL MERCHANT INC

You might post this in the classic pattern section.
Old 01-23-2024, 08:17 AM
tinman2

Originally Posted by hkusp45
Anyone know much about the so called F-15 model made by Model Merchant Inc. and is it worth building and flying. Apparently the person selling it has the whole kit. Here's a pic of one of the pages.
I bought one back in the early 1980s. I was a long distance truck driver out of North Carolina. I had read about this F-15 and Model Merchants and I had the address in Harlingen, Texas. Once when I was in southern Texas, I found the location. I was really surprised that there were unmarked old looking shack like buildings. I finally found the Model Merchant name on a small card tacked on a door, so in I went. I walked around in there for a while looking at various rc related parts and work tables. Finally the owner came walking in from another part of the building. He said he was getting a shower in his apartment that was set up in this same building.
I told him why I was there and he said it would take him a couple of hours to put a kit together for me. The plane was a fiberglass skin, upper and lower pieces, that were epoxied to a frame of formers cut from thin plywood. In the kit you would get the plywood with these bulkhead shapes traced on it with pencil.
Then he said he already had a kit boxed up and ready to ship to a well known RC flyer. I'm not sure but I believe his name was Johnson... not sure. Anyway, he sold me that kit saying he would just box up another one for his customer. I also bought two of his ducted fan assemblies. As well as I can remember, the fans were individual blades that were clamped in between two aluminum discs. Then there was an aluminum ring that attached to the ends of the blade with a tiny screw threaded into the end of each blade.
I tried cutting out the formers on a scroll saw but the plywood pieces were too large so I took it to my local rc builder and left it. He built quite a few planes for people but it took him a while on each plane. By that time, there were Byron Originals kits, which he bought and flew. Later, when I had some spare time in Los Angeles, I visited Larry Wolfe at Jet Hangar Hobbies. I bought 2 of his F-86 kits.
Years went by and our flying club membership changed directions in a way that did not interest me so I quit going. As far as I know, none of my kits were ever completed, and I had not been in touch with the builder. I saw his obituary a while back. I have no idea what became of my kits.
In the pictures posted above, the paper may have been an advertising insert but the F-15 model was a scale, twin ducted fan model.

Last edited by tinman2; 01-23-2024 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-25-2024, 07:22 PM
tinman2

Default What?

I found more info pertaining to my experience with the Duane Johnson designed Model Merchant kit and Eagle Jet Pump ducted fan units. Unfortunately, being a new member, I am not allowed to post "pictures" at this time. As I am no longer involved in radio control, I don't see that I will achieve the required 10 posts to get to that point. Too bad for anyone interested. I was hoping to add to the vintage memories.