Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

travel air mystery ship

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

travel air mystery ship

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 07:10 PM
keye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default travel air mystery ship

anyone know of kits or plans for this plane??????
Old 11-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: travel air mystery ship

The late Fred Reese offered a kit years ago, in 1/5 and 1/4 scale.

I knew Fred only by phone, but didn't get my kit from him. I have his 1/4 scale kit. It's great!

Plans must be around. In fact, I remember an article on this plane done in one of the Mags years ago, actually a feature article.

I'm also surprised you haven't had more of a response because it's a popular model.

There's plastic kits available for detail and you can try the kit cutters. There has to be something? One would think.

The photo is not my model. Mine is framed but not finished. I don't remember where I got the photo?

Charles
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89859.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	1076483  
Old 11-21-2008, 10:49 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Matthew Petrie makes the Reese designs now for the Mystery Ship. It is a short kit - glass fuselage, wheel pants, cowl and plans. Nice quality glass work! Wood wing and tail that are built from plans. It looks like a nice big airplane to fly, but mine (quarter scale) will have to wait for a while till other projects clear.

His phone number is (TJW) 801-9584 That should confuse the web crawlers.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:52 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try a famous site that sells. You'll be surprised.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:14 PM
keye

freebird.....I have been to the famous site that sells and have put a bid on 2 that are there...but way out in the cold country with dial up..I usually miss on the deals, and I could throw a huge bid to guarrentee the win..but was hoping for some direction on the plans and would go from there....so I was not surprised that there are 2 on the famous site...winning them at a deceint and fair cost...now that would be a surprise
Old 11-23-2008, 12:29 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You will find out that selling on that site thru auctions is an inexpensive method of direct marketing for the cottage industry that makes glass short kits of the Mystery Ship. Look in the history file of items sold.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:17 PM
keye

Highplains...I realize this...over and over there is a certian bi-plane listed on the site...and it always brings in high dollars...I was almost caught till I was out bid thank god...that kit sells through a few hobby sites for 105 dollars....but since its on the site over and over...it brings in much higher costs.....now please do not get me wrong...I truely want a waco or a full package mystery ship and I will pay for whatt I really want....but getting into the 300 dollar plus area really shoots down ones hopes......I have come to rely that a waco will be way in my future for the prices they are going...and the prices are probably warranted because of avalability of the kit....but just not in my budget...thats why I was hoping to grab direections to plans and worry about the short kit later....I have already been out bid on both bids...one is still fairly low but will follow suit as the other one and start climbing...hey this is a great hobby...but no matter which way we turn the almighty dollar wins out every time...one more thing on the very beautiful Waco....they are rare and far and few..but every 5 or 6 days one shows up on the site and bringing in huge dollars....man someone sure had their wits stockpiling these kits or so it seems....
Old 11-23-2008, 07:34 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

man someone sure had their wits stockpiling these kits or so it seems..Keye,
That's funny you said that.

Keye,

There's always more to the story than one realizes. The favored 1/4 scale model, wait till they see the landing grear configuration. It needs welding and springs, and my guess is, you won't get it with any short kit. I can get photos.

The static display prop I have for my Mystery was custom made, and they aren't cheap.

The Prop may have been 100.00?

Will I ever finish it? Probably not, but who will pay what it's actually worth?

One other quick note. The pin striping isn't gold, it's light green.

Charles

Name:	Lj22200.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	1077718  
Old 11-24-2008, 11:31 AM
skylarkmk1

keye,

Take a look at the WACO YMF thread in this forum. The Pica 1/5th Waco YMF plans are available through the AMA (plans # 35406) with all templates to build your own from "scratch" so to speak. Also check the House of Moy http://www.houseofmoy.com/waco/ for the listing of other plans, kits and documentation sources for Wacos.

It may not be the Mystery Ship but the Super Ryan is similar to it in many ways.

Name:	Rp42539.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1078180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54910.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1078181  
Old 11-24-2008, 12:35 PM
keye

thanx skykarkmk1.....gonna do my homework and regarding the waco...I have just recently retired and this scratch build will be in my future....intimidating a bit scratch building off plans...the ryan is gorgous...guess I still hope for a kit mode where everything is included but reality is going off plans...I just got my hands on a old Canadian Fleet Finch kit....gonna start setting up my build on that one...but hoping to learn and amass all plans for the Waco or mystrey( Ryans would be good ) and get everything set in my mind as I go along for my next build to all who helped I thank you's all......