Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Help Identifying My Dad's Old Planes

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Help Identifying My Dad's Old Planes

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 08:15 PM
pdmarsh

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help Identifying My Dad's Old Planes

When I created my web site a while ago I was hoping that the occassional visitor might be able to identify some of my Dad's planes from old photos I have of him and his flying buddies. So far, only a guess came in on one. I just discovered this forum and figured, if nothing else, maybe you'd like to see the old photos. There's only 10. The link is below. Drop me a line if you recognize any of the models and can provide the name. I'll update my web site with the info.

Thanks,
Paul

http://home.mindspring.com/~pdmarsh/...s/dad/dad.html
Old 06-11-2003, 10:24 PM
DCFLYYER
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vintage is right

Can't help, but I can see why you want to know! Any approximate years? I hope you find what you need.
Regards
Denis
Old 06-11-2003, 11:50 PM
pdmarsh

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the response. My Dad was born in 1925, so this would have been in the mid '40's to early '50's. He got me involved in the hobby in the mid '60's. If you found your way to other pages on my site you may have seen a very young me looking dapper in pajama tops (well, the shirt looks like that, anyway).

Paul
Old 06-12-2003, 12:18 AM
widgeon
My Feedback: (7)

Default Your Dads Planes

Sir, I believe foto's 2,3, and 4 are of the Buzzard Bombshell, and foto # 9 is the Korda Wakefield. Hope this helps, Jack Filman, AMA 8093, IMAA 8066,KC2JFW
Old 06-12-2003, 12:26 AM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

#10 is definately a "Strato Streak" old time FF model. Still very popular in SAM (Society of Antique Modelers) events. Originally designed I think in 1940 or 1941. Was a class A model typically powered with ignition engines like Bantam 19's or Arden 19's.

Good luck in Identifying the rest.

Scott
Old 06-12-2003, 11:13 AM
pdmarsh

Thanks Jack and Scott. I appreciate the info.

Paul
Old 06-12-2003, 02:13 PM
Dsegal

> Sir, I believe foto's 2,3, and 4 are of the Buzzard Bombshell, and foto # 9 is the Korda Wakefield <

Sorry, but 2,3 and 4 are not the Buzzard Bombhell. As to 9, it is a Wakefield model but the Korda Wakefield had a cabin and windshield not visible in this photo. Korda did other designs and many other's planes do look quite similar.

Dave Segal
Old 06-12-2003, 08:47 PM
Bob Talley

No. 7 seems to be a scale C/L model of a Piper "Skycycle". This was (I think) built by Piper but was never put into production - that I know of - but the prototype was popular with modelers.

At least one kit was produced - I think by a company called "Consolidated". I tried to build one for someone else. The kit was an abomination and I never could finish it - lots of big blocks of super-hard balsa that defied all efforts to carve with the knives of the day.

Bob T.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:28 PM
pdmarsh

Thanks Dave and Bob. I can see how the little Skycycle was made from blocks of wood.

Paul
Old 06-12-2003, 11:06 PM
captjack
Banned
My Feedback: (3)

3 and4 are the same plane looks to me like it could be a broolyn dodger 2 looks to be an aeronca c3 6 ive seen some where before but can't remmember name.
Old 06-14-2003, 12:57 PM
pdmarsh

Hi Captjack,

Thanks for the info. No. 2 looks a lot like an Aeronca C3, except that the original has a high wing and enclosed cockpit. The model certainly could have been a variation of the C3, though.

My searches on Brooklyn Dodger turned up a plane that looks more like #9, although not close enough to call it a match.

Thanks again,
Paul
Old 06-15-2003, 12:58 PM
Flying Foot Doc
My Feedback: (2)

Paul, I don't know what any of the planes are, but I think it is a great thing you are doing - trying to find out your Dad's planes. I happened upon your site on Father's Day - very appropriate. FWIW, #2 seems to have lines that Andy Clancy has used in his Lazy Bee family of planes. Best regards from South Florida, Andy Levy
Old 06-15-2003, 01:06 PM
pdmarsh

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your note. I only wish my dad were still here to see how the hobby has progressed, and to see my own son fly. In fact, it was my son that got me back into the hobby after dropping out almost 20 years ago. My son isn't getting any younger, and I wanted to at least expose him to the hobby before cars, girls and other things get in the way! As far as my dad goes, he would have loved the turbines that now exist. He always wanted to own the coolest stuff, which how we got into RC so many years ago while still flying U-control.

Happy Fathers' Day,
Paul