Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Do you remember??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 04:47 PM
jaymen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you remember??

Do you remember what these are? Have fun answering

1. EZ-Just
2. CW
3. 4-cycling
4. covering grain
5. winding hook
6. figure 8 hinge
7. doo-hickey
8. vto
9. DT
10. drag tab
11. orangewood stick
12. B battery
13. burgess ignitor
14. chicken stick
15. trexlers
16. champ V2
17. trim servo
18. 12 channel multi
19. button cell
20. booster battery
21. Blue Blazer
22. Vari-Comp
23. Mickey Mouse
24. Ukey
25. trash lifter

feel free to answer if you know, or expand the list, this is for fun, enjoy!

Old 05-12-2009, 06:44 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Do you remember??

1. EZ-Just : The red controlline handle. I had its brother the 'Hot Rock'
2. CW : clockwise
3. 4-cycling : sometimes reffered to a 4-2-4 break?
4. covering grain : direction in covering material which can easily be seen in silkspan or other tissue/fabric covering
5. winding hook: available in different gear ratios for winding rubber motors.
6. figure 8 hinge another tem for the sewn hinge.

8. vto : verticle take off
9. DT : dethermalizer
10. drag tab : one type of dethermalizer
11. orangewood stick : used to tune the antenna coil
12. B battery : transmitter battery
13. burgess ignitor: the Burgess battery we used for starting our glow engines
14. chicken stick Most any wooden dowel or device used to keep from getting my fingers poped by the propeller when starting my engine
15. trexlers The fabulous inflateable tires. This is the brand name.
16. champ V2 : Champion spark plug
17. trim servo : do you mean servo trim or the act of using the trim tabs to trim the servo?
18. 12 channel multi : reed type multi with six functions

22. Vari-Comp: Bonner actuator

24. Ukey Control: line plane. comes from the term U control.

Robert
Old 05-12-2009, 07:42 PM
gittarpikk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

19) button cell the style of battery cell that looks like a button
12) Mickey Mouse*... never heard of im'...well I remembered Annette

(*)actually used to describe a "Rube Goldberg" or "tounge in cheek" method/contraption or invention to accomplish a task. A "get-by" way of engineering a solution to a problem...like covering an airfoil wing with aluminum foil...well , it's "foil"
Old 05-12-2009, 08:14 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Full house?
Old 05-12-2009, 08:17 PM
ggeezer

I'm going to add to and challenge some things on Robert's answer list.
3. 4-cycling.....What 2 cycle internal combustion engines do when they fire every fourth cycle.
5. Winding hook....... The hook placed at the other end of a rubber band powering an escapement.
7. Doo-hickey........ Ah Ha.. this is an obscure one but I have an advertisement in a pre-WWII model magazine for an ingenious free flight device that first connects one of two wound rubber motors to the prop and when that motor runs down the device then connects the other fully wound motor to the prop thus making the two shorter motors into a long one with a very interesting torque curve. This device was called a Doo-hickey.
10. Drag tab....... When I fly indoor rubber models in a confined space, I sometimes use a vertical tab at the end of the wing as a drag device to cause the model to turn more tightly. I call this a "drag tab".
12. B battery...... The plate voltage supply for vacuum tube operated electronics, both transmitters and receivers.
17. Trim servo..... The companion positionable elevator servo in multichannel reed radio rigs. The trim servo and the elevator (self -neutralizing) servo worked together through a mechanical linkage to provide a trimmable elevator function.
19. Button cell..... A battery cell shape and configuration. Watch and hearing aide batteries are button cells. The first nicad cells used in R/C were button cells.
20. Booster battery. The battery you connect to a model ignition engine's on board battery set-up to increase the current available for starting the engine.
21. Blue Blazer..... here I'm going to guess and say it is glo-fuel?????
22 Vari-comp..... Bonner escapement with rudder, elevator and motor control functions.
23. Mickey Mouse.... Galloping Ghost systems were often referred to as such.
25. Trash lifter..... a small localized twister that once picked up a rubber model I had sitting next to me on the ground at a contest and deposited it about 1/4 mile away.

Orv.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:23 PM
gittarpikk

ORIGINAL: ggeezer

25. Trash lifter..... a small localized twister that once picked up a rubber model I had sitting next to me on the ground at a contest and deposited it about 1/4 mile away.

Orv.

so much for lighting the "DT"....... the real question here..did ya get a MAX?
Old 05-12-2009, 08:30 PM
ggeezer

I missed 2. CW......... for old R/C types like me this means "Carrier Wave" a form of radio communication used in the first R/C sets and in Morse code radio systems where just the carrier frequency wave was switched on and off to send a signal. There was no sub-carrier modulation like tones or voice.
Actually, if you want to split hairs, you could say the the first "digital proportional" R/C sets also used an electronically switched carrier to transmit the servo position information.

Orv.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:39 PM
ggeezer

Gittarpikk,

You bet I got a max but it didn't count! I actually had the nose block and prop out of the model and was changing the motor when this happened. The guy at the table next to me was selling contest balsa wood and along with my model, the sky was filled with sheets of balsa. This small disaster though had a bright side........ I bought all of the balsa that landed the farthest away...... good karma thinks I!
I gather from your handle that you are a pick'r.... what kind of music do you like to play?

Orv.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:50 PM
gittarpikk

ORIGINAL: ggeezer

Gittarpikk,

You bet I got a max but it didn't count! I actually had the nose block and prop out of the model and was changing the motor when this happened. The guy at the table next to me was selling contest balsa wood and along with my model, the sky was filled with sheets of balsa. This small disaster though had a bright side........ I bought all of the balsa that landed the farthest away...... good karma thinks I!
I gather from your handle that you are a pick'r.... what kind of music do you like to play?

Orv.
Hi ggeezer...
Yep, sort of a older rock/blues picker... Play an old 72 StratEric Clapton type model with dark neck. Favs are Pink Floyd, Clapton, Eagles, ZZ etc Boss GT3 pedal...make em' cry...

Lol...with the prop and nose block gone, just about same effect as DT stab in DT position.....good thing ...could have ended up "in China"...
Old 05-13-2009, 11:26 PM
jrcaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a couple of electronics terms thrown in there.

If so, your Mickey Mouse is a term for a capacitor (ceramic disk) where in the 1930's and 1940's were marked as micro-micro farad before the term pico farad came into use.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:36 AM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

17. trim servo (addition or clarification?)

This was a servo used with reed systems for the elevator trim. As reeds were full travel inputs only, you needed elevator trim so that you didn't have to keep constantly thumbing the elevator switch to compensate for throttle position or whether you wanted to climb, fly level or descend. (Elevator controls attitude, which determines airspeed, yes?) You thumbed the elevator trim to get the desired attitude, and then went on with the rest of the business of flying the airplane.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:36 AM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"Heads up!!!!"

Self explanatory. Commonly used when an errant, out of control early RC model drifted into the pit area. Can still be used today but not as frequent as days of olde.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:58 AM
WEDJ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

17 - trim servo, additional clarification.

Reed servos were of two types. One would re-center itself when control inputs stopped, and the other type did not.

The non-centering type was used for throttle and elevator trim.

Most often, elevator servo and trim servo were side-by-side, with a rotating bar to join the outputs, which were linear. Thg elevator pushrod was connected to the middle of the bar, and would work like an ordinary servo output with the elevator servo. But when the trim servo was moved, it caused a permanent shift in the neutral position of the cross-bar.

Takes longer to explain than to look at.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:03 AM
gittarpikk

ORIGINAL: WEDJ

17 - trim servo, additional clarification.

Reed servos were of two types. One would re-center itself when control inputs stopped, and the other type did not.

The non-centering type was used for throttle and elevator trim.

Most often, elevator servo and trim servo were side-by-side, with a rotating bar to join the outputs, which were linear. Thg elevator pushrod was connected to the middle of the bar, and would work like an ordinary servo output with the elevator servo. But when the trim servo was moved, it caused a permanent shift in the neutral position of the cross-bar.

Takes longer to explain than to look at.
I definately remember an article on this approach....It was probably in MAN or Flying Models rag..maybe someone has that article....and post images. This would definately be an old one.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:11 AM
RFJ

Takes longer to explain than to look at
OK, lets look then

Ray
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95698.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	1197891