Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Guillows Sopwith Camel (801)...........noob

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Guillows Sopwith Camel (801)...........noob

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 10:47 PM
mr.fibble

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guillows Sopwith Camel (801)...........noob

im about to start building this and pland it for RC use anyone done this kit before if so ANYTIPSWOULDBEGREAT! im over 40 but a total noob cheers
Old 06-03-2009, 08:00 AM
Dsegal

Default RE: Guillows Sopwith Camel (801)...........noob

You have picked a very difficult project. First, Guillows kits are really intended for display and do not make good flyers. Those who do fly them often discard all of the balsa and recut the parts with lightweight wood. And the Camel will be a very tricky model to trim out to fly properly. You should start with a kit that is intended for RC use and not a WWI fighter plane.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:14 AM
mr.fibble

yeah I know   but I look at it this way ...................  its the first one its going to crash anyway ...................... but at least if its a hard one to build I should gain some experience  putting it together ,and ill at least have pictures of it   make sence ?
Old 06-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can understand the desire to build something cool, but in this hobby you have to pay your dues before you can play. That means you really need to start with a plane that is forgiving, easy to repair and will help you learn. A Guillow's kit will only help you learn how to build an outdated model that isn't worth anything more than a display piece.

My best advice is to start with a trainer, like the Sig LT-40 suggested to you in this thread..

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_75...tm.htm#7500610

...or even the Seniorita that you originally suggested.

No matter what, do not try to start off into R/C with any of the Guillow's models....
Old 06-03-2009, 11:06 AM
mr.fibble

id love the sig  BUT .................. being laid off means I have to build the kit a mate bought me  if I was working id get the sig  as that seems to be the one people like as a 'starter'

I did build a guillows cessna when I was about 12 but  never fitted any motor or anything like that  build was FUN   and it looked great  but ive always loves great war planes  hence the sopwith

I know im setting myself up to fail  but the building of it for me is half the fun and its not like its a fast build so   just the time spent building it will have been worth it  hopefully .....

any tips as to a good glue brand ?

David
Old 06-03-2009, 04:46 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: mr.fibble

yeah I know but I look at it this way ................... its the first one its going to crash anyway ...................... but at least if its a hard one to build I should gain some experience putting it together ,and ill at least have pictures of it make sence ?
Yes this does make sense but may I suggest a different model?
As it has been pointed out, generally speaking Guillow models don't make great flyers and this goes more so for scale combat planes as they are inherently unstable in order for them to be more manouverable in a dogfight.
I suggest the Fairchild 24 as it has been done very successfully by more than one person. It actually flies quite well and is on my to do list one day.
Here are a couple of videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDd89JtWJq4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzE75NfiJtw

As for glue, I suggest the Titebond that is resistant to water. I also suggest you thin it some before you use it.

Keep in mind that you need to sit down and study the plan and figure out exactly how and where to make your control surfaces moveable before you glue anything at all. In addition you need to plan on exactly how and where to mount ALL of your radio gear and engine in advance. You will find that the whole experience will go smoother and with a better end result.

Good luck on your efforts!

Robert
Old 06-03-2009, 07:17 PM
mr.fibble

Cheers   so you would reccomend I just build this to 'look at' ?

I have titebond 3 that I use for my other hobby ( Hirts Arts ) would that work the same as regular titebond ?

thans everyone for their comments/help/suggestions

david