Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Travel Air 6000 Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 06:09 PM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Travel Air 6000 Build

While I've posted about this plane in both the scratch build and giant scale forums, it seems to me that a build thread should be here as this is a golden age plane and not either 3D or aerobatic.

Inspiration for the build came a couple of months ago at a small local air meet where one of these was offering rides. The plane is actually hangered not too far away and the owner/pilot noted one of my post and contacted me and a ride is in the works.

Plans were ordered from the AMA Plan Service with ten day turnaround service. The plan is a 1963 drawing and design by R. Jess Kreiser. While RC, it was designed for single channel escapement. However, the form is primarily what I'm interested in and the plan was doubled in size from 49" to 98" making it 1/6 scale.

My preliminary plans are to build with a two piece wing and power with a gas engine and trim with dummy radial. I'm not sure what engine yet and that may not be determined until the plane is built and the balance checked. I've a Ryobi conversion (4 lbs with mount and exhaust) on the shelf that might work if the plane needs nose weight. If not, a much lighter gas engine would likely be the choice. An outside chance is to go with a Saito 170R radial glow but at the cost, it's an outside chance.

The plane will be about 1300 inches and it looks like a Clark Y foil so should have enough lift to handle the Ryobi and it will be a lazy Sunday flier so wont need aerobatic power.

I don't yet know how it will be covered, likely in black and orange Ultracote.

Construction begins though I need to order or secure some balsa in longer lengths.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:30 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Travel Air 6000 Build

Sounds interesting. I'll be monitoring this thread for the build...

Bob
Old 12-09-2009, 09:17 PM
AA5BY

Bob, see you are a Ham as well...

The wood is ordered.... Let the fun begin.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:40 AM
AA5BY

The first effort will be to build the stabs. While the plan offers the shape, the details will be builders choice. The horizontal stab by the designer was of course with no elevator for the rudder only RC design. The full scale shows a very large elevator of 40% of total horizontal stab. That seems excessive for a RC model. On the other hand, the plan shows only about half of the rudder of the full scale, and I'll almost certainly revert back to the full scale rudder.

The plan details a foiled horizontal stab and a plank vertical. The foiled horizontal was shown to be built using forward tabs on the ribs to provide building positioning but of course they won't work when incorporating the elevator so it looks like the cutoffs from the ribs would be the better route to be used to make a building jig. That means some careful band or scroll saw work.

The plan will be placed under glass and the bottom rib cutoffs glued to the glass to form a cradle to construct the stab and elevator.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12065.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	1331922  
Old 12-11-2009, 04:40 PM
pimmnz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems really complex, why not build a 'flat plate' outline, add the airfoil half shapes top and bottom afterwards. That way you can put the two (tailplane and elevator) spars in the proper place right from the start. I would not worry about the elevator size either, by the looks of the photo, and the amount of trim available to the pilot, the thing needs all the elevator you can get.
Evan, WB #12.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:38 PM
AA5BY

Evan, I'd put the spars in place in the saddle jig. I've used the technique of a saddle only once and that was years ago on Phil Kraft's Kwik Fly III but it used a cardboard jig providing the foiled saddle to build the wing. It worked well if my memory serves me correct. Using the rib cutoffs will only work of course if there is no sheeting that goes in the jig or in this case if the center ribs are made under size the sheeting thickness.

If I didn't have glass on one of my boards, I'd not consider it but gluing the rib cutouts to the glass and then cleaning it up later is no shake.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:28 AM
AA5BY

Received the wood order yesterday and anxious to start on the Travel Air 6000 build but on the bench is the crash of the Taylorcraft from last Sunday and repairs are started so will clear it out first.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:54 PM
AA5BY

Update: The build is still awaiting kicking off. Unfortunately I crashed a plane and decided to get it repaired before starting the build. Some activity today with a visit to the full scale plane for some measurements and a flight. Neat plane!

The wheels are thirty two inch (tread to tread) so 1/6 wheels are 5.3 inches and fortunately Williams Bro has 5" Golden Age available as well as of course a 1/6 Wasp dummy engine.

Also measured were the ailerons as the build plan was rudder only single channel.