Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Galloping Ghost Pictures

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Galloping Ghost Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 03:47 PM
jay mendoza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Galloping Ghost Pictures

Here are Bob's restored Jansson and Controlaire. The Triple Treat has an extra elevator rate trim on the top right. Both have new JBR pulse receivers I build custom for the Ghost radios. New 3.6-volt 700MAH Sanyo Cadnicas, new wiring w/ Deans connectors. Rand LR-3 actuators have been repaired and upgraded w/ reproduction switcher circuit boards.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27608.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	1332806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83870.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1332807  
Old 12-12-2009, 05:45 PM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Galloping Ghost Pictures

Oh man does that bring back memories! I learned to fly on a Debolt Champ with an EK Logictrol tx and Rand actuators. All I have left is a switch. Damn!
Walt
Old 12-12-2009, 08:21 PM
jay mendoza

Walt, did you have a Logictrol Digi-Ghost?
The RCM write up claimed it was digital, but as it used Rand servos it could not have been, must have been hype, or some miss print. The Digi-Ghost was sold in 1969 that I know, not sure about before or after. It had a red case, white silkscreening, an open gimbal stick assembly, and a character of a ghost following the words "Digi-Ghost" on the front of the transmitter.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:04 AM
2doggies

I enjoy reading your posts. I looked thru my old RC books and found a 1966-1967 World engines catalog. It cost 75 cents when I bought it. It has the controlaire galloping ghost and other Controlaire Tx and Rx's. I flew a Controlaire 5 relayless regen rcvr on 27 mhz in a schoolboy with a Cox 049, rudder only for a number of years. Kind of a free flight plane with a bit of rudder control!! Single channel was a challenge. Does anyone have a Controlaire Mule Mk II they want to sell?? Please let me know. Thanks...Jon Francis.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:41 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few years earlier, I would see on occasion someone who bent up a bunch of wire and made his own Galloping Ghost set up using escapements and a Super Regen radio. His team would grab the pliers and tweek and bend things in the rear to give a proper deflection to the control surfaces. It got tweeked due to weather I understand each time before they flew. Was a lengthy proceedure taking lottsa minutes and having everyone else Out of the Air even if they were operating controlline, for they interferred with his flight somehow.

If they went for so much effort, why didn't they go to reeds then? Cheap is all I can think of now. I seldom see much on the early era of Galloping Ghost.

Wm.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:42 AM
2doggies

Hello..Do you know of a GG system for sale. I used to fly GG in the late 60's and it was great. Let me know if a Controlaire World Engines GG system comes up for sale. Thanks, Jon Francis.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:31 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Jay, just had to post a shot of my GG systems. I believe you've seen a couple of these before!!

Bob Harris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26364.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	1340042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98133.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	1340043   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf87832.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	1340044  
Old 12-23-2009, 05:39 PM
jaymen

Have never seen a Royal Pulse unit other than advertizements. The Super Sport Bonitron is interesting, as is the No Name one that looks like a Jansson. The best of lot you have are those two Ace Pulse Commanders, they have the best circuitry and stability of all the Galloping Ghost radios ever made. One reason for that is they were produced until 1972, and had many improvements over the earlier versions. Most importantly, they had a voltage regulated pulse circuit, so they did not drift, two output transistors for gobs of power, and internal rate and width ratio pots to adjust the throw for different actuators. Ace hung in there and was still selling Galloping Ghost and Pulse rudder only for quite some time after everyone else had quit, hence they had many improvements as a selling point, they had to: digital proportional was far superior and not too much more expensive.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:30 PM
2doggies

Bob H..Great pictures of your GG equipment. Brings back memories. 2doggies.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:44 AM
topwinguk

Back in about 1964 I built a variety of GG sytems which flew very successfully. Back then, in the UK, the monthly mag. RCM&E was published, which concentrated on home built electronics rather than models. In those days most of us only had one super regen rx with a Hivac tube, which had a life of about 2 hours. You could extend the life a bit by heating it up in the oven!! The mag published a design for a pulse proportional Tx giving variable mark / space ratios and push buttons giving on/off commands, which I built. I also built servos using a geared Mighty Midget motor fitted with a crank and slot system for the rudder/elevator and a screw thread which drove a nut, connected to the motor throttle arm, which travelled up or down, depending on which push button was operated (a while later the Rand servo came into being). Once you got the bent up bits sorted, the models flew very smoothly with no indication of waggly bits, mind you, when it was sitting on the ground it looked as if it would disintegrate any minute. Those were the days!! I still scratch build and get a bigger buzz thinking up my own ideas rather than buying some RTF model.

Tony
Old 09-19-2011, 09:07 AM
sufnish
My Feedback: (1)

Does anyone have a schematic for a Logictrol Digighost system?

Thanks and take care,

Don Patterson
Old 10-17-2011, 08:44 AM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

We built several hundred of the Royal GG-1 system in 1968-69. The circuitry was the F&M design which we purchased from a man(can't remember his name) in Attica, OH. We also built the Vanguard receivers, Pioneer receivers, and the reed systems.

I have 3-4 of the Pioneer receivers new in the original box if anyone is interested.