Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Mattel Single Channel Pulser. Remember These?

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Mattel Single Channel Pulser. Remember These?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 06:06 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mattel Single Channel Pulser. Remember These?

Here is a video link to a Mattel single channel pulser working. Great little radio.

Enjoy,

Bob Harris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc_GjPKFk7I
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17631.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	1333671  
Old 12-13-2009, 07:15 PM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mattel Single Channel Pulser. Remember These?

AHC sold these for something like $20 way back. I heard they were
for an R/C version of the Super Star electric plane, not sure of the
truth in that though. My dad bought 2 of them, don't think we ever
used them since we had the mighty Ace Pulse Commander.
Dave

Name:	Ay75689.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	1333703  
Old 12-13-2009, 07:53 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boy do I!? I used to see these advertised for years when young and poor and flying C/L hollow logs! I think I remember when they were $99.95, then later $79.95, then $69.95 and eventually down to $19.95. Never did get one! I really should you know.

The Signal Command, while similar in theory, was a totally different animal. More like a larger evolved species of the Super Star. See power unit comparison below.
Quote by Dave,:
"AHC sold these for something like $20 way back. I heard they were
for an R/C version of the Super Star electric plane, not sure of the
truth in that though."

You are exactly right on Dave!

Some more info on the power systems here: http://www.airplanesandrockets.com/m...uly%201973.htm
Robert

Name:	Jh15793.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	1333759  
Old 12-13-2009, 08:25 PM
gittarpikk

ORIGINAL: BobHH

Here is a video link to a Mattel single channel pulser working. Great little radio.

Enjoy,

Bob Harris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc_GjPKFk7I
Gawd, I luv it!!!

Love to hear the clack, clack, clack of the ole pulsers as they fly over... Come to think of it...never remember losing one...(wonder why)

I >HAVE< that very transmitter and receiver . Maybe someday someone will feel sorry for me and send me a Mattel actuator they have laying around gathering dust.

This one goes waaaay back for me as it was probably the first and only R/C (included in the Beechcraft Bonanza (I think) foam ARF kit) the neighborhood hobby shop had in stock and sat on top of the coke machine I used to chunk my lunch money change into on the way home from school every day.

as I became older (approx 1970), I got to see the first GG system as well as a single channel ACE fly. Never did get to see a Mattel Foam Bonanza fly though. I think it had the WenMac .049 with the start-spring/clutch that was always pretty reliable...Was better than the Cox that always rubbed the back of the prop badly and was heavier than the Cox system...but man was it ever convenient and smooth.

I just gave away one of them in a C/L Cosmic Wind to a guy in the club that liked the old C/L plastics. This one was red...and pretty much complete.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:36 PM
gittarpikk

Here's another cool, way-back-when toy of the 60's.. I never remembered the tv ad and I only seen one of these which hung from the ceiling in the old Woolworths building I used to go to and admire some interesting toys. They were the resident supplier at the time for the old Soap Box Derby Pine block racer I had when I was a Cub Scout. They went out of buiz and I never seen or heard of it ever again til i ran across the vid on the Tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBMFB...3853CC&index=4
Old 12-14-2009, 10:57 AM
jaymen

Guitar Pick,
The foam red plane you are describing was probably a Testors Skyhawk. I don't beleive Mattel ever made a gas powered plane that I recall.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:24 AM
gittarpikk

ORIGINAL: jaymen

Guitar Pick,
The foam red plane you are describing was probably a Testors Skyhawk. I don't beleive Mattel ever made a gas powered plane that I recall.
Hi Jaymen

Bingo! That is exactly who made the plane....For whatever reason , I had gotten the transmitter mixed up with the right one.... I >also< have that exact transmitter although I don;t think I have the receiver or actuator for it...(I really need to dig it out and see what all I have)

I rem this transmitter (I have flown one like it) by the fact that when trimming, the stick centers on the new trim position so the stick can be "leaning" off center ...weird, but worked.

Looks like I need to get all my old stuff out on the table and get a pic or two to post...

here is a link to a red version of that plane although the one I had memories of was all white foam

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/for/1472807378.html

That one may still be for sale....

Here is a good thread on the Testors...and I did not remember the golden bee for some reason...thought it came with a mcCoy or Wen Mac

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_17...tm.htm#1790726

Old 12-14-2009, 03:34 PM
Trisquire

Does anyone remember an AAM article on installing an Ace pulse proportional system in the free flight Mattel Superstar?

Tom
Old 12-14-2009, 05:20 PM
build light

gittarpikk, Indeed the Skyhawk originally came with the Cox Golden Bee engine but was later (I have no idea how soon) replaced with the Testor's McCoy red head.

I hope to find a better picture of an original showing the Golden Bee more clearly.

Robert

Name:	Li20812.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	1334447  
Old 12-14-2009, 05:38 PM
BobHH

Hey, I've got a Skyhawk with a Golden Bee on it. I actually have a complete model and Jay just fixed the fligth system. I plan to have it flyin in the spring.

Bob Harris
Old 12-14-2009, 05:54 PM
gittarpikk

ORIGINAL: build light

gittarpikk, Indeed the Skyhawk originally came with the Cox Golden Bee engine but was later (I have no idea how soon) replaced with the Testor's McCoy red head.

I hope to find a better picture of an original showing the Golden Bee more clearly.

Robert
Yep, Thats the motor I seen on it.

I will venture that the Cox golden bee/Ace radio was one combo (first out) and Testors bought it...and then came out with the McCoy/Testors labeled radio (which could have been an Ace but I have not looked yet)

I definately know the one I seen was a Testor/McCoy and all white.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:15 PM
helihead

I had one of those and I actually ordered it from AHC. I don't remember the name of the model I had it in but it was an 049 high wing cabin model. First flight and I had it rigged to climb too much but after that it flew great. I flew it many times until the wing folded one day while way up and it strained through a tree. I never got the onboard set back and have no idea what happened to my transmitter.

Thanks for the memories.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:17 PM
build light

Hey, I've got a Skyhawk with a Golden Bee on it. I actually have a complete model and Jay just fixed the fligth system. I plan to have it flyin in the spring.

Bob Harris
Bob! Good on ya! Could you post a couple of pictures that show the Golden Bee in some detail?

Robert

Old 12-14-2009, 07:20 PM
BobHH

I'll dig it out of the rafters this week. I actually got it at a swap meet. A guy came up with the complete plane, radio, etc in the original box and laid it on my table. Said he heard I flew the older stuff and wanted to give it to me. Said he could never get it to fly!!!!

Bob Harris
Old 12-14-2009, 07:38 PM
build light

While you are at it, do you have a Goldberg Ranger 42 wing you could drag out and compare to the Skyhawk wing?
I have a theory...

Robert
Old 12-14-2009, 08:16 PM
BobHH

No, I do not but I have a friend who has a Ranger 42 NIB that he was trying to give me one time. The are different at the center section as I recall. I may give him a call on that Ranger 42!!!

Bob Harris
Old 12-14-2009, 08:35 PM
build light

I wish I knew all these guys just giving away these old junl planes!

I have heard that the Ranger 42 actually has a 44" span...

Robert
Old 12-14-2009, 11:45 PM
maxpower1954

I just measured my Ranger 42 - wing span 41.25 inches. Great flying little airplane, mine's an electric with full house and weighs 6 ounces less than the original single channel version of long ago.

I wonder if the foam wing Testors used is the same as Midwest Products had on the Astromite and others in the '60s - same 44" span. Russ Farris
Old 12-15-2009, 11:46 AM
WINANS

Dang-It Bob, you pull out all this fun old stuff. Yes, my first radio system was the Mattel pulser. Bought from an ad in one of the magazines. I think they were getting rid of them for ~$30 at the time - electronics only. I tried and failed with it in a number of planes. Had one hotrod flight in a Dicks Dream with a PeeWee .020 that really found it's sweet spot.

I too love that sound of a rudder thwack-thwacking as the plane glides overhead. Ah.... Scott
Old 12-15-2009, 12:09 PM
BobHH

Hey Scott, good to hear from you again!! Yep I like the flapping of the surfaces also!! Funny, had one new guy at the field tell me I was getting interference on my Little Esquire with the gallop ghost system in it. The servos should not be gittering like that!!!

Russ, looks like I scored the NIB Ranger 42. Now to pick her up and put her together. I'm think a 3 channel Ace Pulse Commader will fit in it very well!!

Bob Harris
Old 12-15-2009, 11:07 PM
gittarpikk

Hey Scott, good to hear from you again!! Yep I like the flapping of the surfaces also!! Funny, had one new guy at the field tell me I was getting interference on my Little Esquire with the gallop ghost system in it. The servos should not be gittering like that!!!

Russ, looks like I scored the NIB Ranger 42. Now to pick her up and put her together. I'm think a 3 channel Ace Pulse Commader will fit in it very well!!

Bob Harris
Lol...
I'm just an ole hardcore "stick in the mud" on the tail wag'ers All mine are R/O ad that is what I always flew. Shucks, a 3 channels would have been a "luxury" back then.

Somebody mentioned I think in another post about "sneaking up" on the amount of engine thrust(start with a lot and reduce) needed to keep the plane climbing slowly instead of sharply and preventing a loop...but my "style" was 'let'er" loop...I always just did tight figure eights , circles and loops at low altitude till the motor ran low on fuel, then climb in a spiral to about 100' and circle slowly to a landing and straighten just in time for a nice "slicked on" full stall landing....ah , those were the days!

Did so many loops, snaps, barrel rolls etc, I would be plum tired by the time the 1 oz tank emptied. (long time on a .049)
Old 12-17-2009, 06:07 PM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I came home from work to find 2 packages left by UPS. Upon opening the first one i still cant believe my eyes!!! I bid on a Mini Mambo kit on ebay and won it for $42 bucks. I thought that was a decent deal because it included shipping. Upon further inspection of the box is a new in the box Mattell pulser unit, just like the one on the you tube video!!! I cant tell ya how many times i bid on one of those only to get out bid & here it was included with the pristine mini mambo kit. I dont believe the pulser has ever had batteries in it. Looks like it was purchased for the Mambo & both got put away & forgotten about. The second box contained a new never run OS max.20 that i got for $20 bucks plus shipping!!! Must be Christmas early at my house. Im still waiting on a OS max III .15 that was supposed to be brand new to get here. After useing up all my luck today on the last two packages, im expecting the .5 to be ciezed up solid...Gene
Old 12-17-2009, 06:56 PM
BobHH

Gene. looks like you've been living right!!! BTW if your Minnie Mambo kit has the decal can you scan it for me. I've got a buddy who just finished one up and wants to add the decal for finish.

Bob Harris
Old 12-17-2009, 07:29 PM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Bob, i dont know how to scan the decal. email me w your address and i'll send it to you to do what you need. Send it back in the Quik shot kit when they come in...Gene
Old 12-17-2009, 11:09 PM
maxpower1954

Not to hijack the thread, but I won on a certain auction site a NIB Testor's Skyhawk, it finally arrived today! I had to leave on a trip, but I checked it out and it does appear to have never been flown, or even started. Overall in excellent condition with 40 years of hangar rash on the foam wing and stab; easy enough to deal with. The transmitter is perfect, and it has the McCoy .049 and paperwork dated July 1969. When I get home Sunday, I'll take some pictures and start a new thread similar to the Babcock Aeronca about the experience of another early ARF.

I coveted one of these as a 13 year old, and I really thought I was getting one for Christmas 1968 - instead I got a Cox Stuka...80 bucks was big money to my parents in '68! Now, 41 years later I finally got my wish! Lots of questions for you single channel guys....first one, is the McCoy about the same power as the Golden Bee it replaced? Russ Farris

Hey Gene, did you ever finish the Skylark 56 twin???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.