Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

What is a Jet Gun?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 11:57 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: What is a Jet Gun?

ORIGINAL: Trisquire

Of course, the environmentalists would probably make a fuss about CO2 these days.

Tom
Yeah, and could you imagine trying to sell a Jet GUN with a spring-loaded needle to kids nowadays? Might be put in jail
Old 01-12-2010, 12:11 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Co2 dragsters are very popular in middle and high schools now. They sell double launchers for the cars.
Here is one of the more popular competitions:

http://www.f1inschools.com/pageindex.html
Old 01-12-2010, 12:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Trisquire

ORIGINAL: 50+AirYears

About 1976 I bought my son a model rocket boost glider similar to that that had a nicely machined aluminum tube for a motor that was charged from a can. Very awkward. The wife and I were always concerned that some of the sloppier launches could let some liquid propellant get splashed into his (or my) eyes. I might still have the tube around someplace in a box.
Yes, Estes offered the 'Cold Power' series in the '70s. I wonder if that's a cheaper source of rocket propulsion than the traditional one-shot-deal solid rocket engines that are typically used. Of course, the environmentalists would probably make a fuss about CO2 these days.

Tom
At that time period I would bet good money that the propellant was the same freon that was used in automobile air conditioning systems of the day. This is the same stuff that was used for frosting glasses and beer mugs. It was sold in cans of one liquid pound.
This allowed more propellant to be used as one would fill it with the liquid and as it expanded turned to gas. Had the bladder been charged with gas it would have behaved more like a pop gun expending its limited fuel almost all at once.

Robert
Old 01-12-2010, 04:34 PM

ORIGINAL: build light

At that time period I would bet good money that the propellant was the same freon that was used in automobile air conditioning systems of the day. This is the same stuff that was used for frosting glasses and beer mugs. It was sold in cans of one liquid pound.
This allowed more propellant to be used as one would fill it with the liquid and as it expanded turned to gas. Had the bladder been charged with gas it would have behaved more like a pop gun expending its limited fuel almost all at once.

Robert
Pick your poison. Global warming or a hole in the ozone.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe the Estes did in fact use the R-12 refrigerant. Back then, it was a bit over $1.00/can. Of course, the 1 pound cans actually held 15 ounces, and the '30 pounders' we used in the garages I worked at only held 28 pounds. A 1 lb can could give a fair number of flights, depending on how well you handled the filling.

I'm surprised the Greenies haven't been lobying to shut off Volcanos. Just Mt Pinatuba is estimated to have put out more CFCs than everything man had made from the 1930s to the day of the eruption. And that was only one volcano.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:50 PM
My Feedback: (50)

Stanzel made a rocket plane with a bladder that used compressed gas. My brother got one for Christmas around 1963.

I bought one NIB on feeBay a while back - complete with a full can of gas. I don't think the can is marked as to what it contains, but I am under the impression that it is R-12 Freon. I remember spraying some on an oleander leaf (I was about 8 at the time living in Arizona), and I was amazed when the leaf turned a light yellow color and had frost on it!
Old 01-12-2010, 09:28 PM

If you expose Freon to a flame, you produce phosgene gas, as used for poison gas warfare before the Geneva convention banned it. Please don't try to light your Freon powered vehicle.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Silvaire

Stanzel made a rocket plane with a bladder that used compressed gas. My brother got one for Christmas around 1963.

I bought one NIB on feeBay a while back - complete with a full can of gas. I don't think the can is marked as to what it contains, but I am under the impression that it is R-12 Freon. I remember spraying some on an oleander leaf (I was about 8 at the time living in Arizona), and I was amazed when the leaf turned a light yellow color and had frost on it!
Do you have pictures of it? I don't think mine went as far back as 63, but it might have been based upon the Stanzel version.

Tom
Old 01-24-2010, 02:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That jet gun was a great idea.
As a kid I used a hammer & nail to puncture the cartridge.
Didn't get many flights before I ran out of money.
No long flights either!
Old 01-29-2010, 02:58 PM

I had to go into the shop and look. But, yes, I still have my old
jet gun. It definately shows signs of lots of use.

When I was quite young, my older brother helped me build the
Monogram Hotshot. It went fast, but not nearly as fast as the
scratch-built cars my brother and his friends built. They used
ball bearing wheels and such. We also built boats and aircraft
to use the little CO2 bottles. The boats weren't as successful as
the cars. They had a tendancy to get stuck in the middle of the
pond or turn into submarines. The aircraft????? Well, let's just
say, I didn't understand about proper balancing.

Also, the local middle school still uses these cars in their technology
class. The kids build cars to the teachers specs then race them
in the hallway. The winner gets to race the teacher in front of
the whole school and gets his/her name put on a plaque that's
displayed in the technology wing.

Mr_Ed
Old 03-10-2010, 01:03 AM

Whizzing! I ran across an article in the Feb 1947 issue of Popular Science and there they were! Completely relevent to this thread and shows a picture of a jet gun posed for action. I hope you enjoy the article!

http://books.google.com/books?id=uyUDAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA65&lr=&rview=1&pg=PA10 2#v=onepage&q=&f=false!
Robert
Old 03-11-2010, 01:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Loved that old mag. I was just about 3 when it came out. I remember the jet gun was all right for the Monogram race car, but but very awkward for planes.

Amazing the attention paid to modelbuilding back then, with ads for the Thor B .29 ignition engine, (IIR, infamous as a slag engine) Champion V series spark Plugs for model ignition engines, and even an ad for Ambroid Cement, showing the old probably lead tube with a screw eye in the spout. I either opened sucsessfully, stripped out without opening, or actually twisted the top of the tube off trying to open many of these for the first time.

The pictures of the early Navy Jets, especially the North American XFJ-1, with what looked like straight wings, while the rest of the Fury family had sweepback and more closely resembled the F-86 Sabre family. And the picture of the Ryan FR-1 Fireball flying with the Jet only, the propellor in full feather.

The article on carving the French Flitlock was good.

And it had what was he first COLOR picture I've ever seen for the XF5U-1 showing the plane in flight with a yellow top surface, what appeared to be a black underside, and apparently natural Aluminum for the fins. Excellent color doc for a rubber powered model that's on my FF to-build list. An amazing magazine back the, much more informative than most of today's equivakents, Much broader coverage.

Do you think that new-fangled color television will ever catch on?

To quote a favorite Bob Hope Song:

Thank's for the memories!
Old 03-11-2010, 07:38 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I remember seeing one in our LHS shop when I was a kid, but that was just something for the 'rich' people.... it must have cost at least 95 cents or more!!

We used to hold a nail up against the CO2 cartridge and whack it with a hammer. 9 out of 10 times, we missed

Bob
Old 03-19-2010, 06:52 PM

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

I remember seeing one in our LHS shop when I was a kid, but that was just something for the rich people....

We used to hold a nail up against the CO2 cartridge and whack it with a hammer. 9 out of 10 times, we missed

Bob
The guys in the link in my last post were Douglas Aircraft engineers! They could most likely afford the little tools!

I ran across some low res plans to share.

Robert
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36968.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	1401192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60223.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	1401193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21615.jpg
Views:	20