Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

RCModeler Magazine Pitts Nick Ziroli Plans

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

RCModeler Magazine Pitts Nick Ziroli Plans

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 08:27 PM
gade600sdi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RCModeler Magazine Pitts Nick Ziroli Plans

Hello, I am in possession of a set of plans from Radio Control modeler Magazine for a Scale Pitts special Designed and Drawn by Nick Ziroli. It says Inked by G. Flores. It also says on it Aerobatic Championships from 1948-1949-1950. These plans were purchased by my dad, and he had about half of the plane built. It was not a kit, but a set of plans, but he had it half done and all the rest of the parts made. It is too dificult and time consuming for me to build, but I have an old timer that is working on it. The plane has about a 48-50 inch wingspan just going by memory its close to that but I dont have it here. He is making great progress and the plane looks nice so far. There are some problems we are encountering, however:
1. Cant find any CG on the plans to balance point
2. Doesnt say what size motor is right and we can't seem to get a modern motor to fit right because the carb in front of the motor will hit the front plywood. Are there any rear carb 2 strokes? I know OS made an 80 with rear carb 2 stroke and I had one and sold it probably a mistake.

I would think it would take at least a 60 and perhaps a 75-90 size engine would be right based on my other planes. A gas engine would probably not work, but maybe a 4 stroke Saito?

Anybody have any information on this airplane or know if Nick Ziroli is around to ask?
Old 04-16-2010, 01:22 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: RCModeler Magazine Pitts Nick Ziroli Plans

It was a design in the January 1967 issue of RCM with a span of 52 inches and 760 square inches of area. The prototype was powered with a K&B .45 turning a 12-5 prop, but was designed for an engine in the .45 to .60 range. No weight or CG was given in either the plans or article. But I think it should fly fine with the CG aligned with the rear cabane strut due to the top wing being swept back and the stagger of the two wings (CG at about 30% of chord). It was also suggested to use 3 degrees of down thrust as well as 3 degrees of right thrust (also not shown on the plans).
Old 04-16-2010, 02:49 AM
RFJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May not be much help but this is how Mr Ziroli installed a K&B 45 in his model as shown in the RCM construction article.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73631.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	1418942  
Old 04-16-2010, 06:51 AM
gade600sdi

Thanks RFJ, do you actually have the magazine that you got this from? Is there any more information in there about it other pictures or perhaps a CG on this model. That looks like the plane, but a K&B 45 really? Doesnt look like enough motor for this plane. Today, a 75-90 would be put on a plane that size. Not saying it wouldnt get off the ground with that but would need a long runway to take off I would think.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:11 AM
RFJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No weight or CG was given in either the plans or article
As mentioned by HighPlains there is no additional information in article. I do have the magazine so if you want a copy of the article just for interest, PM me your e-mail adress for a scan.

I agree about the engine - it seems almost impossible to overpower an aerobatic bipe (so much drag)

Ray
Old 04-16-2010, 01:44 PM
TFF

The original was done up like Betty Skeltons Little Stinker which is now at the Smithsonian. It was Pitts #2. I have the plans and it was designed to be tough.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:52 PM
gade600sdi

What do you mean designed to be tough? You mean sturdy or strong?
Old 04-16-2010, 03:55 PM
gade600sdi

Thanks to all the input so far on this topic. If I find out more I will post it. I also will be posting the pictures of the project out here soon...including the final results. Hope to fly it by this time next year...probably wont get done before fall but it is 60% done now.