RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   Planes That Deserve A Comeback..... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/3154778-planes-deserve-comeback.html)

kdheath 09-25-2005 10:22 AM

RE: Planes That Deserve A Comeback.....

ORIGINAL: ddubya
Daniel....you and a bunch of us other guys would like to see that old trainer come back.
It has a little history. If I recall correctly it started life as Joe Bridi's RCM (magazine) Trainer. Plans were available (may still be) and it was kitted for a number of years. Bridi proved once and for all that ....YES....you CAN learn to fly using a symetrical wing. It's a very sweet flying plane, capable of about every manuver, but capable of very slow flight.
I still have a NIB Bridi RCM Trainer 40 kit stashed away. From before Great Pains bought the Bridi line out. We all had many of these things. What a great design. Typical Bridi, very few parts, light weight, and flew like mad. Powered by K&B, HB, or Irvine 40s.

sscherin 10-01-2005 03:25 PM

JLKonn..

I know exactly what you are talking about...
I flew from 85-90 with some Heli's in the early 90s

I havent touched a stick for 15 years but I'm getting back into it now.

I hope nobody laughs at my 80's OS engines and Gold Futaba Radios :)

I can't get interested in an ARF because I think falf the fun is building the thing and making it your own.

My first plane was a Fledgling.
I was given a roll of plans and a wing.. My dad and I built the rest from scratch..
It was ugly but it served me well till the wing fell off pulling out of a loop.
After 3 years flying every weeknd, hard landings and my crazy flying I wasn't supprised.

My favorite plane was my 2nd.. A Falcon 56..
I just picked up a Falcon III kit.. I hope it flys as well as the old 56 did.

One kit I wish they made is the Skylark 56.
The have it in an ARF but I'd like to build it myself.

I never did finish my Nosen Citabria.. It's still sitting unfinished in my Dad's attic.

skypupmut 10-08-2005 11:10 AM

Steve mentionned the Super Sporster 120
I resurected an old one with ASP 108 what a sweet flyer, tracking so well and so smooth, shooting repeated touch and goes is quite a sight including snaprolls on the aproach.LOL ( on purpose )
The tri squire with squireII mods per RCM sept 1966 the best trainer I have ever flown, quite a performer with a FP 25 used to fly original with veco 19
an other one I realy enjoy with an OS 108 is the 77 inch Lazy Ace

what a beauty up there and so gracefull
could go on for ages, must be why I have 24 ready to fly and 38 more that only need a radio installation

mgnostic 10-19-2005 09:55 PM

Lazerworks is also my LHS. I've built two models from his short kits. 1/12 Arsenal and 1/12 P-40. Good stuff.

jrbmoto 11-16-2005 09:45 PM

Well, obviously the Andrews Aeromaster is the winner here and I have to agree! This is a wonderfull design as are all Lou Andrews designs! The Aeromaster is definetly the "King of Biplanes" with so many build options, you can build a wild aerobat or a smoth mellow cruiser depending on what wing configuration you choose....The original kit is the one to build but the GP version is (in my opinion) almost as legendary. I learned to fly on an A-Ray when I was 9 years old....Back in 1974!...Powered by a K&B .35 and guided by a Cannon "Mini" radio...I still have pictures!... Other great out of production kits in my opinion are:
Andrews H-Ray
Andrews A-Ray
Jenson Ugly Stick (obvious)
Goldberg Sky Tiger
VK Cherokee
Tigar Tail .60
GP Super sportster .20
GP Super Sportster .60
GP Ultra Sport .40, .60, 120
GM Precision Sunbird .40, 120
GM Precision Killer V .40
Prather Little Tony

wyldman 11-18-2005 10:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Aeromaster for sure I just finished my first one this spring.
would like to get another.
WYLDMAN.

jlkonn 11-18-2005 10:56 AM

Nice looking Aeromater!
I would like to see the Northeast SportAire .40 come back.
The company has changed hands since I built my first one in the early '80's
The guy was supposed to bring out an updated .45 but he doesn't even show it on the website anymore as coming soon.
Used to be a great company back then.
JLK

kingaltair 11-18-2005 04:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have flown two VK Cherokees. My second one took off without its ailerons working about a year ago, and I haven't got around to doing the reconstruction[X(][&o]. They were a nice size at 65 inches, and were nice-looking planes.

dwaynenancy 11-22-2005 04:08 PM

I wonder why no ones mentioned the Midwest Esquire, Veco White Cloud, Chidgey's TigerTail, Kirkland's Beachcomber or any of that group of flyers. Dwayne ;)

dvint 12-03-2005 03:06 PM

Bridi Sun Fli 4-20,VK Cherokee and Cherokee Babe.

h-ray-RCA 12-04-2005 12:30 PM

Cox Sportavia. That big ol blue box with the white airplane on the cover. The hassels of starting a 049, I'd put an axi on it now. I went from the Sportavia to an H-Ray to a Gentle Lady. Flew for 10 years, got out (went back to school and went career aviation.), got back in about a year ago.

Geez.... Memories.

hamman 12-04-2005 09:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Just received a Cass Engineering Super Skybolt this week, it hopfully will be powered by the new Saito 1.25, also have a Super Sportster 90/120 kit. The bipe will be this winters project.

tinsink 12-05-2005 08:15 PM

I had an H-Ray I built in 1971. Got out of the hobby. Sweet plane. It was in the basement collecting dust until 2001. Got back in the hobby. Put on some new monokote and a TT .15. Still sweet. Then I sold it in 2002 to another club member. He put it into a tree- hard. Not so sweet. It now sits in his basement waiting for a new wing and repair of fuselage.

Now here's one I haven't seen mentioned yet. World Engines Hawk 460. This was way ahead of its' time.
Mostly foam with balsa and ply reinforcement. Rugged if covered with fiberglass. Flew great on a .25. If you put a .40 in it nothing could stop it. Not a hurricane, not a tornado. Fly it in winds that nobody else would dare to fly in without even thinking about it. But you better use toothpicks in the elevator hinges or after about 200 flights the hinges will seperate from the stab and you won't have any elevator. Not good, especially at 150 ft.

goldwingsei 12-26-2005 11:24 PM

Hello, I was just given a plane that looks like that only I think it's a single seat. It has the same foam wings. I did notice mine was missing the paperwork and plans. It's a Cass Skybolt. We need to talk...

can we email?

Update 1/14/06
OK, I dont have plans or instructions for this and dont know if I'm interested in trying to build it without so anyone want to make an offer I'll send images of what I have or put it on eBay. My plane looks exactly like the images above. Cass Skybolt Two seat.

Mad Man Marko-RCU 12-27-2005 09:05 PM

Boy what can you say, Lou Andrews was a genius. Went downstairs to the shop 4 H-Rays 1 is 3 channel 1 is 4 chan. and two kits NIB, an A-Ray with Enya 35, a Trainermaster NIB, S-Ray NIB and the Big Daddy Aeromaster Too NIB. Also a Midwest Esquire, a Little Esquire, a Tri Squire and a whole bunch of Mambos. Old planes fly so nice with the modern Glow and electric setups. Check out "earlyrcmodels.com" for repro laser cut kits for alot of oldies. They build and fly well. Now I'm looking for my Chidgey Tiger Tail plans. Another plane of my youth. Even found the Webra 61 Blackhead.

Straight is good, Lite is better and Both are Awesome.

Mad Man Marko

hogflyer 12-29-2005 12:17 AM

dvint -

I had a Sun Fli 4-20 and loved it through out its short life. Initially flew with an OS .30 (still have the engine). Flew it at a time I wasn't ready for this type of plane and it scared the heck out of me. Later flew it with a K&B .40. Was a mistake as it turned a good flying plane into a missile - just wasn't fun. Plane went in when a buddy got disoriented, didn't realize he was inverted and pulled full up elevator into the ground at well over 100 mph. Toasted everything - plane, radio and engine. I do have the plans, most of the ribs from one wing, the empenage and landing gear. Hope to build another one later this winter or early spring.

Another great plane is the old Midwest Sweet Stik. My first had a K&B Torpedo 40 with Kavan strap-on muffler and was well worn and flew quite well. I've probably had more fun with this than anyother plane. Still have my plans and I've scratched a complete kit that is sitting waiting to be built.

tweedy 01-06-2006 04:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Goldberg Skylane both 1/2a and 62, Andrews TrainerMaster, Kraft KwikFli-III, R. Jess Kressers SkySquires

Here is my attempt to resurrect some of them let me know if you would like copies the Skylane is still a work in progress

jlkonn 01-06-2006 04:55 PM

Tweedy,
That's very impressive!
I'm afraid I have never scratch built all though back before I quit around '87 we know the only way you got a plane was to build it.
I am now building a Mirage 550 for my daughter.
The first laser cut kit I have ever built.
Quite the improvement!
JLK

tweedy 01-06-2006 05:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
JLK

You really should give scratch building a try it is a lot easier now with some of the new tools and with computers and cad just print the parts out on some Avery label stock stick it to the balsa and cut. I think the hobby can hold it's interest longer if you scratch build. Here is a project I compleated recently

jlkonn 01-06-2006 05:19 PM

Tweedy,
Thanks for the encouragement!
I have thought about building a 1/2A "Littlest Stik" that was on one of the 1/2A sites.
I need to do some searching and rediscover it.
JLK

tweedy 01-06-2006 05:39 PM

The 1/2a Sky Squire would make a great first scratch built I built one at age 13 I can e-mail you a copy in DXF format you can e-mail me at [email protected] I can also send a link to DeltaCad you can download it for free for 45days or so it will let you print the drawing out in pieces on your printer then you just tape them togeather and you are ready togo.

richard

deckerv 01-07-2006 09:56 AM

hmmm..
1) Jemco Fun scale P51, P39
2) Top Flight Hot Canary bipe
3) Balsa USA Fly Baby
4) Balsa USA Smoothie (loved that plane.. both of them!!)
5) Jemco Bushwacker

kdheath 01-07-2006 11:20 AM

Funnyyou shcould mention the Smoothie.I have my second one ready for paint when the weather warms up. I inverted the engine and replaced the heavy top fuselage blocks with molded parts. Shooting for 4.5 lbs with Nelson fabric and paint, OS 40.

Add to the list any Airtronics kit-esp the Aquilas, Square Soar, and Olympic II and 650.

ElectRick 01-11-2006 08:34 PM

ORIGINAL: hamman

Just received a Cass Engineering Super Skybolt this week, it hopfully will be powered by the new Saito 1.25, also have a Super Sportster 90/120 kit. The bipe will be this winters project.
I had a Cass Engineering Pulsar in the '80's. It's construction was the same as your Skybolt. It was an incredible flying biplane--it was supposedly designed to fly pattern head-to-head against the monoplanes of the day. It had to be about the best flying airplane I ever owned.

Wish I still had it. I flew the snot out of it for three years and sold it to a flying buddy, who flew the snot out of it too. Last I heard he had splattered it.

Rick

Jeff Foley 01-11-2006 09:52 PM

ORIGINAL: ElectRick

ORIGINAL: hamman

I had a Cass Engineering Pulsar in the '80's. It's construction was the same as your Skybolt. It was an incredible flying biplane--it was supposedly designed to fly pattern head-to-head against the monoplanes of the day. It had to be about the best flying airplane I ever owned.

Wish I still had it. I flew the snot out of it for three years and sold it to a flying buddy, who flew the snot out of it too. Last I heard he had splattered it.

Rick
There was one for sale in the market place a few days ago. I had one of those too back in the late seventies. Flew great with a veco .61.

One airplane that I built several of and had a blast with was the original Midwest Little Ugly Stick. You could power it with anything from a .19 to a .40.....and we used to kit bash them mercilessly. All kinds of exotic WW1 schemes with different tail and wingtip shapes. Lot's of fun, no pressure modeling.