RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   WACO YMF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/4058627-waco-ymf.html)

Skinny Bob 02-21-2007 09:40 PM

RE: WACO YMF

The full size was built that way, L and R wings fastened to the center section. If it can be done full size, it can be done 1/6 size!.

khodges 02-21-2007 10:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

ps...Personal to Ken...Are you ever going to retire that yardstick??? I think that you might get your measurments a tad off using it. It looks kinda-sorta beat up. B
I guess I would, if I thought it was three feet long. It's just a foot. I only use it as a straightedge. I have a nice metal ruler and an engineer's scale for mezurin', plus a set of dial calipers.

Besides, who measures? Just hold it up to where you want it, cut it a finger width too long, and sand it to fit:):).

Same thing for tightening bolts. Twist it until it strips, then back off 1/4 turn

skylarkmk1 02-21-2007 10:35 PM

Ken,

I don’t remember which company (possibly R/C City, see SR Batteries) made the Fuel Dot in the picture, but the following all make a similar type. PSP (Big), Desert Aircraft and Cactus Aviations Fuel Dots are larger for the big 3D type stuff, a couple of them are engraved, attached with screws and are a little bigger than a quarter in diameter. Take a look and take your pick. Your may have to scroll down the page a little on some. PSPs are colored which would work great to hide or differentiate between smoke, fuel, fill and drain. Good Luck.

http://www.centralhobbies.com/fuel/f...s/tetdots.html

http://www.pspmfg.com/BiggieFuelDots.html
http://www.pspmfg.com/FuelDotsRegular.html

http://www.atsrcplanes.com/fueldots.htm

http://www.nsrca.org/technical/tip_tricks/fueldot.htm

http://www.centralhobbies.com/Fuel/fuel00.htm

http://www.srbatteries.com/gscale/gs_fuel.htm

http://www.desertaircraft.com/page.php?Page=FuelDot

http://www.cactusaviation.com/Produc...er/fueler.html

http://www.greatplanes.com/accys/gpmq4101.html

khodges 02-21-2007 10:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the quick reply, skylarkmk1, I'll check them out.

I've been thinking about gas engines and vibration, and how I've had a couple of ARF firewalls come close to letting go after a while. To forestall this, I fiberglassed the rear (inside) of the firewall with 1 oz. cloth, and the outside edges with 1/2 oz cloth. If the engine comes off now, it'll have to take the whole front of the plane with it. I also filled in the hole in the center, as I am using a different tank setup and will drill other holes for fuel and wiring.

ctflyboy asked about whether there was a gap at the hinge line on the hatch. There is a tiny one, about a millimeter, and it only starts to bind at about 2/3 open. The hinge line is as close to the surface as I could get it, and I relieved the upper corners of the hatch a tad to prevent binding as best I could. When I skin over the stringer just above the hingeline, there will be a tiny gap, not enough to notice. In one pic you can see the slot that the latch fits into. Here's a couple more pics from a higher angle:

HarryJ 02-21-2007 11:30 PM

Ken,
Try this place. I've got several fuel dots from them. [email protected] , address is JE Model Products
6107 Bollinger Road, Export, PA 15632 phone 724-327-7992.

Stickbuilder 02-22-2007 05:49 AM

ORIGINAL: khodges

I guess I would, if I thought it was three feet long. It's just a foot. I only use it as a straightedge. I have a nice metal ruler and an engineer's scale for mezurin', plus a set of dial calipers.

Besides, who measures? Just hold it up to where you want it, cut it a finger width too long, and sand it to fit:):).

Same thing for tightening bolts. Twist it until it strips, then back off 1/4 turn
Oh Geez, (somebody stop me!!!) Allowing an Ex Air Force puke to own an engineering scale and dial calipers, is like giving a 9 year old a maching gun. (very dangerous)

Ken,

You might want to think about using (making) a hairpin torsion spring to hold the hatch in the open position. One end goes into the fuse, the other end into the hatch, and put a turn or two in the center for the spring action. When you close it, it stay's in the closed position, and when you open it, the spring in the center holds the hatch open. I will sketch it out for you if the high altitude Oxygen starvation has fried your noggin. :D

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

khodges 02-22-2007 07:24 AM

Ken,

You might want to think about using (making) a hairpin torsion spring to hold the hatch in the open position. One end goes into the fuse, the other end into the hatch, and put a turn or two in the center for the spring action. When you close it, it stay's in the closed position, and when you open it, the spring in the center holds the hatch open. I will sketch it out for you if the high altitude Oxygen starvation has fried your noggin. :D

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
I like the idea, but it's not like I'm gonna be unloading baggage from it.:D:D The only times it will be open is to turn it on and off and plug in charge cables. The latch is very snug, much more than the one on my Cub door, and it has never opened in flight. I probably won't even glue the hinges into the fuse, but will pin them with some tiny screws (1.2 mm). I hardened the outer edges of the hatch with thin Ca, will also help maintain the curve in the wood.

I think I got strep throat from my oldest daughter, so I get to stay home from work at least today, should get a lot done, between trips to the loo (antibiotics tear me up). Gonna work on tail surfaces today, I think.

And my noggin got fried when I was in my late teens. Why do you think I joined the AF?

Stickbuilder 02-22-2007 12:29 PM

Yeah, but it would look cute if it held itself open instead of having to use a redneck hood prop rod to hold it open.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Stickbuilder 02-22-2007 08:16 PM

To: ALL

I received a very nice suprise in the mail today. Skylark1 (AKA John) reworked the instruction manual, giving credit for the ownership of the original Pica model to COX, and the manual has the updates to enable a builder to utilize the radial engine mount, and eliminate the single Aileron servo and the bellcrank linkages. The original instructions parallel the mods, and the work is Beautiful. John, with your permission I will include a copy when I send the templates to the AMA.

John also gives a brief history of the Brotherhood, and I'm impressed. The best thing is that the Brotherhood gets all the credit, and no specific Brother is mentioned, which is as it should be. Hat's off to Hohn.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Michaelj2k 02-22-2007 08:33 PM

Several years ago, (1980's?) Flying Models published an article on installing remote fuel tanks in a wing. The airplane was a PT-19 with two wing tanks. I don't recall exactly how it was set up but it did use a small header tank to maintain fuel flow to the engine. I'll have to dig it and scan it as a pdf then post it here.

skylarkmk1 02-22-2007 09:03 PM

Bill,

By all means, include it with the templates. I am still working on an addendum with the main gear and tail wheel mods and will forward them as soon as I can get them done. I may include Khodges baggage compartment as well. Who knows, if we get enough interest going in the WACO, Robart may even make a gear for us, (hint, hint).

If any one has any other ideas and or mods that make this plane easier to build or more scale like, go ahead and send me a PM and I will add it to the original (revised) instructions.

One of you guys out there said that they had a copy of an updated, more detailed, 45 page manual (the one I re-worked is the 13-14 page one Bill posted). If possible to make a copy, I would very much appriciate a copy. Again send me a PM and I will send you my address. Thanks.

khodges 02-22-2007 10:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)

To: ALL

I received a very nice suprise in the mail today.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Dang, I thought it was your recall to active duty.

That redneck hood prop was the "spare" control stick:) I didn't work on the tail today, instead I made the front cockpit. I derived the size and location from its position relative to the cabane struts and rear cockpit windshield in the photos I have of the new YMF Classic.It involved removing/relocating a former, and filling in an area in the floor. The front cockpit is the same depth as the rear, so passenger figures can be the same size as the pilot. I also reworked the rear cockpit a bit, closed in the sides, as they were a bit lower than the full scale, and added a couple of hardpoints forward of the front cockpit for the wires between the cabanes.

I will not make a functional door on the left of the front cockpit, but just an outline and a fake latch handle, similar to the baggage compartment's. I started on the front windshield, but nothing to show just yet.

John, I ordered some of those fuel dots today from Central Hobbies, plus some nice "T" fittings. Thanks again for the link, and thanks for the hard work with the manual. Just put lots of pictures in it and use simple words so the Master Chief can use it, too.

damifino 02-22-2007 10:40 PM

Do you plan on making your revisions available via this thread or e-mail? Would like to include it in my 3-ring binder with the other WACO stuff.

Hope to cut formers this weekend.

skylarkmk1 02-22-2007 11:29 PM

Khodges, damifino,

At this point the revised manual is a Word Document of about 1.95 MB and may be a bit of a pain to send via e-mail. Unless you have a High Speed connection it may be a pain to down load. I would like to convert it to a PFD and post it that way. I am going to check with Kinko's and see if they can do it. In the mean time, send me your address via a PM and I'll send out a copy to you. The local copy service (not Kinko's) had a hard time with the diagrams printing clearly. The diagrams were copied from the original post with out enhancement so they are a little light, I am working on that as well. The mods will be an addendum and also made available when completed. Give me a week or 2 to find the best way to get a clear copy and I will let you know. Thanks

Stickbuilder 02-23-2007 05:19 AM

Cute, Very Cute.

Ken, if you don't cut a door in the portside of the fuselage, how will your passenger/s enter or exit? The top wing precludes the occupants climbing over the top. Typical Air Farce thinking (or lack thereof). I think that you should include the door, oh and be sure to put in a relief tube as well. The one time that I was forced to fly via Air Scout Airline, the relief tube was broken (so they said...I checked, and the relief tube wasn't broken, it was just Air Force size...too small) :D

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

mmattockx 02-23-2007 10:24 AM

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

Khodges, damifino,

At this point the revised manual is a Word Document of about 1.95 MB and may be a bit of a pain to send via e-mail. Unless you have a High Speed connection it may be a pain to down load. I would like to convert it to a PFD and post it that way. I am going to check with Kinko's and see if they can do it. In the mean time, send me your address via a PM and I'll send out a copy to you. The local copy service (not Kinko's) had a hard time with the diagrams printing clearly. The diagrams were copied from the original post with out enhancement so they are a little light, I am working on that as well. The mods will be an addendum and also made available when completed. Give me a week or 2 to find the best way to get a clear copy and I will let you know. Thanks

Skylark,

If you need the Word doc converted, mail it to me and I can print it to a pdf. I have a T1 connection, so the size is not an issue for me...PM me if you need it and I will shoot you my e-mail.

Gentlemen, I have been floating along with this thread and have lost my way regarding the former and rib templates done by Stickbuilder. Are they available on Chris's website now or what? I am not ready to build yet, but I have been slowly gathering the info available and would like to get the templates downloaded and printed to keep in my file until I need them...Did I miss it?

Thanks,
Mark

Stickbuilder 02-23-2007 10:42 AM

They are, but don't appear to be useable. If you will pm me with your address, i will send you a set of hard copies. Everyone is getting them, it is just taking me a little longer than I had hoped.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

mmattockx 02-23-2007 10:47 AM

Bill, PM sent.

Many thanks,
Mark

skylarkmk1 02-23-2007 01:04 PM

To all,

I have sent a copy of the revised manual to Chris who will be converting it to a PFD and posting it on the website www.houseofmoy.com/waco/ when he gets it converted.

To Mark (mmattockx), Thanks for the offer.

ChrisMH 02-23-2007 03:11 PM

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

To all,

I have sent a copy of the revised manual to Chris who will be converting it to a PFD and posting it on the website www.houseofmoy.com/waco/ when he gets it converted.

To Mark (mmattockx), Thanks for the offer.

...done.

I'll also post the original manual as soon as I get around to scanning it.

Chris

Skinny Bob 02-23-2007 04:13 PM

Chris, I know this may not be the place to show this, but I'm having a lot of fun learning Solidworks. If nothing else I'll become very familiar with the parts.

Files uploaded ok but nothing there?

Skinny Bob 02-23-2007 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Again

ChrisMH 02-23-2007 05:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Skinny Bob

Chris, I know this may not be the place to show this, but I'm having a lot of fun learning Solidworks. If nothing else I'll become very familiar with the parts.

Files uploaded ok but nothing there?
Solidworks is a great tool!

I started over on the YMF-3 model in order to get the plans and Bill's outlines to jive. Interestingly, the plan doesn't even agree with itself in some cases. For example, measure the distance from F4 to the tail in the side and top views...they're different.

Skinny Bob 02-23-2007 06:04 PM

I know what you mean, I have been paper tracing over UMF-3 plans drawn by Robert C. Sweitzer and found similar discrepancies. Hurry up, I'm looking forward to seeing your work:D

Stickbuilder 02-23-2007 06:23 PM

Why woulld you say that this is not the place for this? I think that this virtual WACO is the neatest think that I have ever seen. Keep it coming.

NIGHTSTALKER!!!!!!!!!!!! You old reprobate, where have you been? (Hopefully building a shiny airplane):D:D:D:D:D

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1